Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2007, 10:00   #1
BHPian

NHC tyre and wheel upgrade!!

Guys, I did a tyre and wheel upgrade y'day on my family car - NHC- GXi!

Thanks for the enormous infos this site have for those who want to do it!
Well... Special thanks to our 'resident' tyreNwheel expert 'iraghava' for his expert opinion on my queries! Apart from him, I sought advice from 'kochi bhp-ians' speedzak and hydrashok!! (They run Michelin's!!) Thanks a ton guys!!

Here it goes...

Shop
Global Tyres, Kochi (Michelin-India's First Priority Partner)
Contact person - Mr.Phillip / Mr.Bijoy.

Tyre
Michelin's Energy XM1 in 195/60 R14 size. (4 nos) - Rs.3,600/- each!

Alloys
HR's in 6J x 14" - 100 PCD size. (7spoke in hyper silver finish) - (4 nos) - 3,600/- each!

Wheel Alignment, Wheel balancings(4W), Silver finish filling valve(4W), Nitrogen(4W) Complete package for 29k!!

Now, all the above listed advisors are requested to evaluate the package and post thier views whether it sounds good or not. This will help all those who will browse this thread purposefully!

Now the pics follows!

he he... yeah the alloys design is a bit dated eh?!! Honestly speaking, this is the only design I cud finalise after doing 20 odd trials!! I guess this design suits this car well!! So...!

I hope this will benefit to all those who are planning for an upgrade on NHC's!

Now the feel... well I drove it for 20-25 kms y'day with the new set of foot and the first feel I had is the precise steering! Steering is so sensitive now!! Dry bitumin road grip is simply great and confident inspiring! Haven't driven it thru wet/gravel roads so far!! Will do it and post my views as early as possible. Car now retards very fast and so the braking is far far better! I did a 60+km/hr "U" turn (right infront of Sam's new JBL store) very very comfortably which amazed to write bout improved handling and stability with these new tyres!
But....Is the ride a bit bumpy now?!!
Well... the experts please answer this query too.... whatz the recommended tyre pressure for this size tyre?! The dealer filled 30 psi of Nitrogen on all tyres!! Sticker on car says 32psi for front and 30 psi for rear on stock tyres!

Continue guys!

Last edited by nikkibike : 13th May 2007 at 10:14.
Old 13th May 2007, 11:53   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice to hear about a happy upgrade! Its alright to lower the PSI by 1 - 2 points for urban driving comfort.
Old 13th May 2007, 12:25   #3
BHPian

Did you take note of any increase in mileage and performance. XM1 s claims that by using silica based compounds that reduces rolling resistance and hence offers better mileage and performance. And it should also increase pick up though marginally.
Old 13th May 2007, 12:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice to hear about a happy upgrade! Its alright to lower the PSI by 1 - 2 points for urban driving comfort.
Thanks GTO!! Well... thatz exactly I was thinking about that! I'll speak to them and lower it and see what happens! Thanks again!
Old 13th May 2007, 12:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
Did you take note of any increase in mileage and performance. XM1 s claims that by using silica based compounds that reduces rolling resistance and hence offers better mileage and performance. And it should also increase pick up though marginally.
None of your queries could be answered with only a very short spin with the car! I'll use the car more and let you know the results! Will surely post the experiences!!
Old 13th May 2007, 12:33   #6
BHPian

Thats fine. But dont forget to do so.
Old 13th May 2007, 12:42   #7
BANNED

Congrats!
That's some great upgrade man. Those alloys are nice to look at and it very well suits the car's overall appearance.

It seems the Energy XM1s are favoured by many. Man! Those Tyres are amazing. Got to drive a Verna with the same footwear and it was very nice and made the car feel more confident to drive. No wonder, you wanted to try those 60km U turns!

Nikki, a job well done!

Sorry, I couldn't join you yesterday. Now, I'm feeling bad! :
Old 13th May 2007, 12:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Congrats!
That's some great upgrade man. Those alloys are nice to look at and it very well suits the car's overall appearance.

It seems the Energy XM1s are favoured by many. Man! Those Tyres are amazing. Got to drive a Verna with the same footwear and it was very nice and made the car feel more confident to drive. No wonder, you wanted to try those 60km U turns!

Nikki, a job well done!

Sorry, I couldn't join you yesterday. Now, I'm feeling bad! :
Thanks Zak!! Yeah... I too was a bit apprehensive when I decided to go alone! (Hyrda was also too busy!). But they were very helpfull and so cud complete the job in 1 hr flat!
Old 13th May 2007, 13:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man...!!!
Michelins are good tyres. Happy Driving .!

@ Ishan..
Energy is written on this one....may be because its 14"
Old 13th May 2007, 18:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ahhhhhhhhh! Good Alloys, Nikki! I Like them. And congrats on the upgrade. As GTO said dropping upto 2 psi based on feel is OK. And from the pic, the tyres look inflated well enough. You'll be able to finalise on a comfortable pressure after driving around a bit. (I experimented with 31, 29 and then 30 psi, and finalised on 30psi as the best for my car, for my driving style).

Sorry I couldn't come over, man! But then since it was Global Tyres, you were in good hands!
Old 13th May 2007, 21:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Ahhhhhhhhh! Good Alloys, Nikki! I Like them. And congrats on the upgrade. As GTO said dropping upto 2 psi based on feel is OK. And from the pic, the tyres look inflated well enough. You'll be able to finalise on a comfortable pressure after driving around a bit. (I experimented with 31, 29 and then 30 psi, and finalised on 30psi as the best for my car, for my driving style).

Sorry I couldn't come over, man! But then since it was Global Tyres, you were in good hands!
Thanks Hydra!! Will look into the pressure thingy and set the most comfy one! I hardly drive this car and so no so bothered bout the atmost performance/comfy factors! Anyways...I feel the upgrade done is a trouble free one!!
Old 3rd October 2007, 20:14   #12
BHPian

Nikkibike - Can you tell me whether there was any FE drop on these tyres... I am tempted to put these on my NHC on stock rims
Old 4th October 2007, 19:02   #13
BHPian

Nothing like that!

absolutely NO FE DROP!!! Go get the tyres! Handling of the car improved to an all new level now!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks