Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2021, 15:13   #1
BHPian

Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia

Requesting the experts and gurus here to help me understand options for rubber swap / upgrade options for Octavia.

As per [ATTACH=Octavia-brochure.pdf]2211673[/ATTACH]

Following is the size.
  • Style variant: 6.5J x 17 H2 ET 46 (Style)

Stock Good year tires (205/55, R17) don't do any justice to this car at higher speeds. Need to be upgrade either on the same size or upsize them. This is where your opinion matters. What are the options on table?

Additionally following is my criteria.
  • Not too soft compound (Don't want to see punctures frequently)
  • Mix of performance & reliability.
  • If upsize increases height then its a plus.

Previously I have used Yokohama earth 1. These holded up well, but did get noisy & hard into 3rd year along with few punctures.

Any helpful recommendation of tyre shops at Mumbai which offers excellent value for getting the swap done?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Octavia-brochure.pdf (5.04 MB, 353 views)
Old 26th September 2021, 17:17   #2
BHPian

re: Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia

In all honesty, from all the reviews on other threads and from personal experience, either go with Michelin Primacy or MRF Perfinza.

Both are known to be good tyres, with good grip levels, and good durability. Hyderabad has good roads as well (in comparison to Mumbai). Michelin may be a problem due to an ongoing scarcity.

You won't regret either of them.
GranvilleDsouza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 18:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
In all honesty, from all the reviews on other threads and from personal experience, either go with Michelin Primacy or MRF Perfinza.

Both are known to be good tyres, with good grip levels, and good durability. Hyderabad has good roads as well (in comparison to Mumbai). Michelin may be a problem due to an ongoing scarcity.

You won't regret either of them.
Thank you for suggestion.

Michelin Primacy are great combination of performance and comfort however they don't last much. Due to softer compound they are very much prone to punctures & side wall cracks.

For RIM width 6.5J and stock size tyre size 205/55/R17 there is only Pirelli P7 run flat available as option.

Now if i need to upsize tyres on stock rim then is 225/50R17 recommended?

225/50R17 is recommended for 7J.

What are the possible issues of 225/50R17 tyres on rim with dimension 6,5J x 17“ ET 46?

I don't want much fuss with skoda for warranty issue. Car might stay with me more than Zac stint in india. Need some peace of mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia-wheels.jpg  

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 26th September 2021 at 18:54.
Old 26th September 2021, 18:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
What are the possible issues of 225/50R17 tyres on mim with dimension 6,5J x 17“ ET 46?
Refer to this thread for a similar discussion, albeit in 16":
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...-thread-6.html (VW Jetta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)

A lot of Jetta & old gen Octavia owners praised the combo. I'd say it's worth a try. Unsure of warranty though.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 23:55   #5
BHPian

Re: Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia

Bumping back on this thread. Would really appreciate if the tyre gurus can pitch in with their thoughts.
Old 19th October 2021, 11:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bumping back on this thread. Would really appreciate if the tyre gurus can pitch in with their thoughts.
If in your place I would have changed the alloys to 17 8J and gone for 225/17/50. I think 225 will do justice to the car and also will enhance the looks. Also I do not like the looks of stock alloys. And 225 50 is the best upgrade with only .08% deviation from stock. Tyre options are plenty too. You should not upsize to 225 tyres with stock rims of 6.5J.

Next option, if you want to retain the stock rims, is to go for 215/17/50 or 215/17/55 which gives a deviation within 2% and will improve the performance too. With 6.5J you can still go for 215. And you have decent selection of tyres too including PS4 and Continental.

Personally I would have upgraded the wheels and gone for 225.

Last edited by sunikkat : 19th October 2021 at 11:24.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 12:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
If in your place I would have changed the alloys to 17 8J and gone for 225/17/50. I think 225 will do justice to the car and also will enhance the looks. Also I do not like the looks of stock alloys. And 225 50 is the best upgrade with only .08% deviation from stock. Tyre options are plenty too. You should not upsize to 225 tyres with stock rims of 6.5J.

Next option, if you want to retain the stock rims, is to go for 215/17/50 or 215/17/55 which gives a deviation within 2% and will improve the performance too. With 6.5J you can still go for 215. And you have decent selection of tyres too including PS4 and Continental.

Personally I would have upgraded the wheels and gone for 225.
Changing stock alloys is not in plan for the moment for a brand new vehicle. It's Skoda and one never knows what fuss the service center make in case of warranty claim. I would like them to retain for initial couple of years.

For future buyers they should take this into consideration on the limitation with Style variant Rims. L&K variant comes with 7J rims for which it is easier to upgrade the rubber.

215/17/50 or 215/17/55 will either of these will result in stiffer ride experience?
Old 19th October 2021, 12:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
215/17/50 or 215/17/55 will either of these will result in stiffer ride experience?
No, they will be as comfortable if not more.

215 is an odd size in my opinion, 205 or 225 are better especially knowing reliability is a concern for you - it may be easier to find these sizes than a 215 in smaller towns should you have some unforeseen problems with the tyres. Stick to 205 than upgrading to 225 on leaner rims, you may be able to find PS4 or P4ST in 205, both are great tyres though I would recommend the former for a 2.0TSI - with even slightly hard rubber you will experience frequent wheel spins in FWD. If you can retain the stock rims and alloys for warranty sake and use upgraded wheels with 225, nothing like it.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 19th October 2021 at 12:50. Reason: Typo
rocksterraghu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 13:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Changing stock alloys is not in plan for the moment for a brand new vehicle. It's Skoda and one never knows what fuss the service center make in case of warranty claim. I would like them to retain for initial couple of years.

For future buyers they should take this into consideration on the limitation with Style variant Rims. L&K variant comes with 7J rims for which it is easier to upgrade the rubber.

215/17/50 will be more stiffer than 215/17/55 which in turn will be slightly more stiffer than the stock. But honestly thats a good compromise to make if you are okay with slightly stiffer ride for a better handling. Suggest go for 215/17/55 which will only be marginally stiffer than your stock. For this size I dont think you have any performance oriented tyres like PS4 or CSC5 but you will get Conti Ultra contact or Michelin Primacy 4 which will still be much better than the stock. Since I have not driven the new Octavia yet, cannot comment on how bad the current tyres are, so there is a possibility that the 215 with good tyres might offer better ride than stock.

To give a perspective, I am running on 225 45 17 on my 2016 Octavia, though the ride is stiffer I am super happy with my decision as the high speed stability, cornering etc have improved significantly.

Last edited by sunikkat : 19th October 2021 at 13:36.
Old 20th October 2021, 11:40   #10

I have used Falken and Hankook in Australia, in India not sure how Falken are doing. But I would recommend quality tyres instead of going for hard compound. It is octavia afterall.
pratyushpks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 22:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
. Suggest go for 215/17/55 which will only be marginally stiffer than your stock. For this size I dont think you have any performance oriented tyres like PS4 or CSC5 but you will get Conti Ultra contact or Michelin Primacy 4 which will still be much better than the stock.
Went to check out with dealer on the suggested size 215/17/55. Dealer is very well known the city and he also suggested the same upsize.

There were 3 brands which they were carrying

1) Michelin
2) Yokohama
3) Bridgestone

Frist two were in the short list earlier. Continental wasn't there with them. Attached is picture for their reference. As the car was essentially bought in a different city and was driven back to home base this means it has some 800 KMS on it. Buy back price for the stock one is quoted very low at RS 5500/- per piece.

Cost of Michelin has sky rocketed around 12500-12900 /- per tyre.
Based on the forum discussion Continental UC6 seems to be a good alternative to Michelin. Price difference per tyre could be at a range of Rs 2000/- approx.

Before i take a final call there is a lingering doubt upsize of Tyre will result in warranty claims?
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia-img5306.jpg  

Old 30th October 2021, 22:42   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Went to check out with dealer on the suggested size 215/17/55. Dealer is very well known the city and he also suggested the same upsize.

There were 3 brands which they were carrying

1) Michelin
2) Yokohama
3) Bridgestone

Frist two were in the short list earlier. Continental wasn't there with them. Attached is picture for their reference. As the car was essentially bought in a different city and was driven back to home base this means it has some 800 KMS on it. Buy back price for the stock one is quoted very low at RS 5500/- per piece.

Cost of Michelin has sky rocketed around 12500-12900 /- per tyre.
Based on the forum discussion Continental UC6 seems to be a good alternative to Michelin. Price difference per tyre could be at a range of Rs 2000/- approx.

Before i take a final call there is a lingering doubt upsize of Tyre will result in warranty claims?
If you are within 2 percent there won't be any effect on suspension warranty, and rest of the warranty would anyway not be affected. The buyback price seems correct and is the usual difference between selling and buyback price.

My suggestion : Go for the Michelins, far ahead of UC6. UC6 is decent in isolation but not a patch in front of the Primacy. And all that at barely 0.5 percent of the price of the car!! And get the damage warranty for the Michelins

Last edited by agambhandari : 30th October 2021 at 22:45.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 23:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Based on the forum discussion Continental UC6 seems to be a good alternative to Michelin.

Not sure on UC6 but I am using Conti CSC5 and very happy with it. For that Tyre size you wouldn’t get CSC5 or PS4. But Michelin Primacy is a good Tyre too, thought not performance oriented.

Warranty is always tricky, it largely depends on your relation with dealer too. Some can still honour your warranty if you even upsize the wheels others can get it void even with a small Tyre upsize. But honestly nothing much will go bad on your suspension, so I don’t think you are taking any risk.
Old 31st October 2021, 18:38   #14
BHPian

Here is the pattern for Continental UC6.
Old 31st October 2021, 18:48   #15
BHPian

Photo didn't get attached. Moderator please merge the post if possible. Pattern looks good. It's position between Michelin and Yokohama. It's a sweet spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia-photo20211030174819.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks