Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2021, 23:51   #1

Porsche Cayenne: Yokohama Geolander G055 SUV or Continental CrossContact LX2?

Given that the Michelin tyres I want for sports SUV(Cayenne) aren't available in the market, I have zeroed onto these two tyres for the size 235/65/R17 in 108 rating. Old the tyre rating is 108V. Need suggestions on which one to go for:

Yokohama Geolander G055 SUV
Pros:
  • Only tyre I found available rated 108V
  • Yokohama probably use more silica
Cons:
  • Read about Yoko weak side wall issue. Still exists?
  • Many forums say noise at high speed on highways is high(although tread pattern suggest otherwise?)
  • Wet/dry breaking traction is poor according to online reviews

Continental Crosscontact LX2
Pros:
  • Good wet and dry traction feedback on online forums
  • Low noise in high speed (though treading looks more than Yoko G055?)
  • Softer for better Highway comfort but good for slight off-road too as per forums
Cons:
  • It's not V rated, it's 108H. Though I don't have any intention to go above 210 Kmph, is it still better to go for V ?

Any other should I put in the mix which is available too? I could have gone easily for Michelin Primacy or Yokohama Advan Sport but nothing is available. Any other brands that use Silica?

I would mostly be driving on city roads and highways. Bangalore roads anyway provide good amount of off-road ing. My first preference in the tyre is comfort and low noise. A tyre that doesn't make you feel millions of road bumps
Point to mention that the car has Air Suspension and I can still feel a lot of these bumps in my old tyres.

Attaching below the tread pattern too for these tyres so that one can suggest idea on noise levels and if forums are right about that.
Name:  yokohamaGEOLANDARSUVG055.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  79.4 KB
Porsche Cayenne: Yokohama Geolander G055 SUV or Continental CrossContact LX2?-conticrosscontactlx2tireimagedata.png
prashant007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 12:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Porsche Cayenne: Yokohama Geolander G055 SUV or Continental CrossContact LX2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant007 View Post
Given that the Michelin tyres I want for sports SUV(Cayenne) aren't available in the market, I have zeroed onto these two tyres for the size 235/65/R17 in 108 rating. Old the tyre rating is 108V.
Speak to this guy - Karan - 9971000239 in Delhi. He can ship to you. Here's the picture he sent to me. Highly recommended guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Porsche Cayenne: Yokohama Geolander G055 SUV or Continental CrossContact LX2?-whatsapp-image-20211103-12.32.26-pm.jpeg  

Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 18:25   #3

Re: Porsche Cayenne: Yokohama Geolander G055 SUV or Continental CrossContact LX2?

I finally went with Yokohama G055 since I didn't want to go to lower speed rating and this was the only one available. Speed rating is important not just for speed but overall handling I think.

After installation, I can now definitely feel all the small little bumps on the road though - initial feel isn't comfort friendly at all, maybe they losen up a bit in some time. Hoping for better traction and handling.
Old 6th November 2021, 18:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I am just seeing this thread, apologies for the late reply.

The Michelins if available will be over priced for sure. Yokohama Geolandar should be good enough if you are not going to push the tyres to the limit. They should last a lot longer than the Michelin PS4 for sure.

The PS4 is also quite noisy compared to other comfort oriented tyres. I am using the Ps4 on my Octavia vRS and I find them a bit harder and noisier compared to the Perfinza I used earlier. the PS4 is an amazing tyre no doubt, but they are not the softest or the quietest tyre.

If you are feeling all the little bumps on the road, play with the tyre pressure. A bit up and down to find your sweet spot.

I am glad you didnt go below the specs of the manufacturer. Technically it shouldnt matter since you said you dont plan to go above 210kmph, but it's more of a psychological thing.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 00:13   #5

Thanks for the reply Nikhil. I was hoping to meet you at Madhus though, maybe some other time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I am glad you didnt go below the specs of the manufacturer. Technically it shouldnt matter since you said you dont plan to go above 210kmph, but it's more of a psychological thing.
Yeah, can't take risk with a 2.2 ton shell.
Old 30th November 2021, 14:37   #6
BHPian

I got my x3 3.0d tyres changed to continental sport contact 5 high load. Replaced my old Pirelli run flats.

Mostly city and highway driving too. I've done few high triple digits in Mexico and these tyres are great. Very good breaking performance and handling on twisty mountain roads. The x3 is about 1.9 tons.

Done some basic off roading too on a recent himachal trip. Attaching a picture for reference.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Porsche Cayenne: Yokohama Geolander G055 SUV or Continental CrossContact LX2?-20211116_151954.jpg  

Thegermanbadger is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks