Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2021, 13:11   #1
BHPian

Tata Harrier & Safari | Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

My Harrier comes with the stock size of 235/65 R17 Goodyear Wrangler tyres for all 4 wheels.

Now the tyres are almost the end of their life. So I need to replace the set of 4 with new ones.

Well, here are some of my observations of the stock tyres.
1. The ride is bumpy. Only slightly though.
2. The grip is not so great since I am an enthusiastic driver.
3. The handling also is not so great as the cornering at even 80-90 demands significant speed reduction.
4. Sometimes, in open expressway roads, I go pedal to metal. However, the ride is bumpy and the car understeers most of the time. I think better tyres will definitely improve the driving dynamics.
5. The tyre is prone to puncture.
6. The tyre noise is high, though less audible due to the engine noise itself. But I feel that it can still be reduced to a significant level with better tyres.

From my understanding and limited knowledge, I think that these are the best tyre brands for my replacement - Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental, Yokohoma, Pirelli - Am I right?

Additionally, I am also thinking to upsize the rims to R18 for 4 reasons - better driving dynamics, better performance, better safety and enhanced looks. Harrier's PCD is 108*5 which is a rare/uncommon spec and so the options (I want only good branded wheels, not any brand for the sake of upgrading) for rim upgrade are pretty expensive as well.

Please advise on the following.
1. Given my reasons to upgrade the rims - Is it really necessary to upgrade the rims or should I just go for a good set of tyres?
2. What rim brands are good?
3. Which tyre brand is the best and what is the tyre model?
4. My requirements are - better performance, better handling, better driving dynamics, shorter braking distance. I cannot compromise on the driving comfort. At least the same comfort if not better.

Any other suggestions/recommendations are highly appreciated.

PS - I always maintain the right pressure (whether I am driving or not driving). I do the tyre alignment and wheel balancing appropriately/when needed. I keep my tyres and wheels clean.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 9th November 2021 at 13:16.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 14:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Harrier & Safari | Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Continental cross contact LX2 is a good place to start and as for RIMS, look for a popular brand that has good local support and availability of single piece incase one of them gets damaged.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 09:21   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Harrier & Safari | Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

What are you doing, brother? On the one hand, you are complaining about the ride and on the other, you want to upgrade the rim size to 18 inchers! Please don't. The single advantage of larger rims is looks, but the cost is huge = easy to damage the rims & tyres, more expensive replacements and a bumpier suspension. Stick to the stock size only.

I see some Yokohamas (including the lovely Geolandar) & Michelins in the said size. That's what I would pick. If you want something more VFM & durable, look at the Apollo Apterra range.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 09:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

What you need is an enthusiastic Sedan or hatch back. All things highlighted looks like normal behaviour or a truck meant to be a truck in a suv like clothing.

Upsizing will only make it worse. Your need for a sedan like drivability is not going to get solved with tyres only. Better suspension set up is what you require.

Apollo Apterra is so underrated. AT-S is meant for offroading as well and that means your puncture issue may be solved.

Last edited by VW2010 : 10th November 2021 at 10:03.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 09:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Happened to see some Harriers running on NeoWheels Transformer series alloys, they should fit. Neo is inexpensive, good quality and locally made. Transformer series is a copy of OE bmw design , so it looks nice on a lot of vehicles.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 23:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What are you doing, brother? On the one hand, you are complaining about the ride and on the other, you want to upgrade the rim size to 18 inchers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
What you need is an enthusiastic Sedan or hatch back. All things highlighted looks like normal behaviour or a truck meant to be a truck in a suv like clothing.
Sorry about the ambiguity of my post.
I definitely don't expect Harrier to perform like a Rapid/Vento. All I am expecting is an improvement in handling, more reliability and better quality.

Of course, I understand that there are a lot many options to improve the handling like upgrading and stiffing the suspension. But that will totally drag down the ride comfort, etc.

Definitely not looking to convert my SUV into a "sedan" or sedanish. I just wanted to check the experience of other harrier owners who upsized. Probably there are very limited owners.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 11th November 2021 at 23:31.
Old 12th November 2021, 05:04   #7
BHPian

If you want a comfy ride, go with Bridgestone Duellers. They are expensive but are decently comfortable and safe. I once unknowingly drove a Creta with a front tyre having 10psi pressure at continuous 100 plus speed on highway for 150kms on these tyres.

It is safe to say, that Duellers saved my life.
Old 14th November 2021, 13:40   #8
BHPian

Running Geolandar A/T on my Safari storme for quite some time now.

Touchwood, only once do I remember a puncture on these tyres. (Only one tyre, not all 4 LOL)Had no complaints with the earlier Bridgestone Dueler H/T either
viXit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 22:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post

Of course, I understand that there are a lot many options to improve the handling like upgrading and stiffing the suspension. But that will totally drag down the ride comfort, etc.
Upgrading to a mild sportier suspension like the Beilstein b6 would be feel more supple and will have lesser crashing than upgrading to 18" wheels

I would suggest you to maintain the stock rims and go for better tyres like michlein, Yoko and contis
Kumaran93R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumaran93R View Post
Upgrading to a mild sportier suspension like the Beilstein b6 would be feel more supple and will have lesser crashing than upgrading to 18" wheels

I would suggest you to maintain the stock rims and go for better tyres like michlein, Yoko and contis
Upgrading to Bilstein will stiffen the already stiff suspension. The ride quality becomes rougher and tougher. But yes, Bilstein definitely improves the handling part.
Old 30th November 2021, 16:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post

Please advise on the following.
1. Given my reasons to upgrade the rims - Is it really necessary to upgrade the rims or should I just go for a good set of tyres?
2. What rim brands are good?
3. Which tyre brand is the best and what is the tyre model?
4. My requirements are - better performance, better handling, better driving dynamics, shorter braking distance. I cannot compromise on the driving comfort. At least the same comfort if not better.

Any other suggestions/recommendations are highly appreciated.

PS - I always maintain the right pressure (whether I am driving or not driving). I do the tyre alignment and wheel balancing appropriately/when needed. I keep my tyres and wheels clean.
1. Keep the stock rims/wheels, upsizing would mean compromising with the ride quality. Rather, invest in a good set of tyres, or, you can downsize to 16 inch wheels though, with the right sized tyres (235/70 R16 is a good fit) to go with it. That'd make the ride more plush and will add to the aesthetics of an SUV. (I personally prefer smaller rims, bigger side profile tyres on an SUV, Google it and you'll know what I mean )

2. Momo, or Plati/Neo closer home (just suggestions/not personally affiliated to any of these brands)

3. Continental, Yoko, Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone as per your budget and their availability (I personally use Conti Cross Contact LX2's and would suggest you to stay clear of Apollo Apterra's)

4. Don't upsize since you can't compromise on driving comfort, so point 1 applicable here too.

Happy hunting

Last edited by mav3r1ckblu3 : 30th November 2021 at 16:57. Reason: Added Tyre size
mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 18:18   #12
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The single advantage of larger rims is looks, but the cost is huge = easy to damage the rims & tyres, more expensive replacements and a bumpier suspension. Stick to the stock size only.
Ridiculous new trend isn't it, SUVs shod with 17/18 inch wheels and low profile tires. Even if you try, higher profile tires for 17/18 inch wheels are becoming very rare. These cars should be capable of handling bad roads quite well but they are not able to because they get shod with 18 inch wheels. Taking a knife to a gunfight!

Last edited by ike : 30th November 2021 at 18:19.
ike is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 19:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Ridiculous new trend isn't it, SUVs shod with 17/18 inch wheels and low profile tires. Even if you try, higher-profile tires for 17/18 inch wheels are becoming very rare. These cars should be capable of handling bad roads quite well but they are not able to because they get shod with 18-inch wheels. Taking a knife to a gunfight!
I think this has more to do with the lifestyle, affordability, and peer pressure of car buyers.
A Jeep Wrangler, LR Defender, Ford Broco will never come with low profiles as stock. And the german trio's, Volvo's, Toyota's (with few exceptions), Honda's, etc, etc will never come with high profiles as stock.

Of course, in a country like India low profiles are strictly limited to METRO's, COSMO's, and HIGHWAY. The fact is that those in India who choose an SUV with low profiles have multi-vehicle garages who are able to afford use-specific cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3r1ckblu3 View Post
1. Keep the stock rims/wheels, upsizing would mean compromising with the ride quality. Rather, invest in a good set of tyres, or, you can downsize to 16 inch wheels though, with the right sized tyres (235/70 R16 is a good fit) to go with it.

3. Continental, Yoko, Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone as per your budget and their availability (I personally use Conti Cross Contact LX2's and would suggest you to stay clear of Apollo Apterra's)

Happy hunting
What is your feedback on LX2?
How do you rate all these?
1. Bridgestone Dueler D684
2. Yokohama Geolander A/T G015
3. Continental ContiCrossContact LX2
4. BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2
5. Michelin Primacy SUV
6. Pirelli Scorpion ATR

I don't want to downsize as well since it significantly affects the handling, (especially at triple-digit speeds) and diminishes the look of the car.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th January 2022 at 12:42. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 1st December 2021, 10:56   #14
BHPian

On my 2015 Toyota fortuner, I have replaced all tyres with Yokohama geolander a/t, and for the use I just don’t think there is a better tyre. Really happy with those.
abtyagi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 08:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Recently have seen a couple of friends owning a Harrier which came with Apollo Aptera. According to them the ride is good, no history of any punctures. Looks like the tyre is built for the indian road conditions. The shortlisted tyres - aren't they with a softer compound.

I remember in my previous car which came with Apollo Alnacs and were very rugged but during the first change went with Michelins for the less road noise thing and ended up with 2 tyre damages and 2 punctures in their life.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks