Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2021, 15:59   #31
BHPian

re: Tyre cut : Fix it or change it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhalla View Post
Facing same issue. Cut on sidewall. Tyre is only 6,000 kms old. Checking air pressure regularly. Sometimes, air pressure decreases and sometimes, it doesn’t. So confused what to do. Whether to get it replaced or not !
I think the original query related tyre looks pretty fine. However, your time may need a replacement soon. If you are doing highway runs, I'd recommend a change. For city commute, it may hold up for another two or three thousand kilometers.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 17:16   #32

Dont run with any sort of damaged tyres in the front. If the damage is minor (as in your case) shift it to rear or spare wheel. I would have worried more on a side wall damage. May i know what is your maximum speed you do on an express way. If beyond 120 kmph kindly dump the tyre.
My personal opinion Michelins are great comfort oriented tyres, both for ride and ears. But downside is they dont go well with chips, stones, more so the side wall simply bursts like a baloon if you accidentally run over a sharp curb stones or steps while navigating a narrow lane in 1st gear itself.
gomnivazca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 21:51   #33
BHPian

Thank You everyone for your guidance. Got it changed today. Thank You Again.
Bhalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 21:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomnivazca View Post
Dont run with any sort of damaged tyres in the front. If the damage is minor (as in your case) shift it to rear or spare wheel. I would have worried more on a side wall damage. May i know what is your maximum speed you do on an express way. If beyond 120 kmph kindly dump the tyre.
My personal opinion Michelins are great comfort oriented tyres, both for ride and ears. But downside is they dont go well with chips, stones, more so the side wall simply bursts like a baloon if you accidentally run over a sharp curb stones or steps while navigating a narrow lane in 1st gear itself.
I live in Nova Scotia (Canada). Yes, I’ve a sedan (Mazda 3 with manual transmission). Speed limit on highways here between 100-110 km/hour. It’s winters here. So I’m using winters tyres right now.
I’ve dumped that damaged tyre and replaced it with new one
Old 20th December 2021, 17:45   #35
BHPian

Another similar case for my brand new Jeep Compass ( 3 weeks old ). Can anyone suggest please .
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre cut : Fix it or change it?-img_20211220_174119.jpg  

Tyre cut : Fix it or change it?-img_20211220_174211.jpg  

enj0y_ride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 00:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enj0y_ride View Post
Another similar case for my brand new Jeep Compass ( 3 weeks old ). Can anyone suggest please .
Please replace this at the earliest. I'm assuming you'll get these replaced under warranty. Sidewall damages can cause serious consequences, especially during high-speed driving.
Old 29th December 2021, 01:06   #37
BHPian

Re: Tyre cut : Fix it or change it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
Cut is on the tread area not sidewall, I would personally keep running with the tyre whilst monitoring pressure drop, if any.
Thank you for the response.
I checked the tyre pressure on this tyre and it was holding it rather well.
To be sure, I went to my trusted tyre shop and they said it was a minor cut on the tread area and the tyre is fit for usage. I am at peace with it but will keep on checking the tyre pressure on this particular tyre.
Old 29th December 2021, 03:24   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Imo the cut is on the tread, bordering and close to sidewall.

Hence it should be safe for continuing usage whilst monitor for tyre pressure drop, if any.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 23:08   #39
BHPian

Any suggestions on this? I noticed this cut recently on the tire of my friend. I guess the tire is still under warranty as JK gives 5 year non-conditional warranty but he doesn't have the bill.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre cut : Fix it or change it?-processed1e1ad9946c1f45618bae71b58cd74625_uw4dbuxk.jpeg  

Old 14th February 2023, 23:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranabegins View Post
Any suggestions on this? I noticed this cut recently on the tire of my friend. I guess the tire is still under warranty as JK gives 5 year non-conditional warranty but he doesn't have the bill.
All the safety features in the car are completely dependent on the 4 small patches of rubber that come into contact with the asphalt. Err on the side of caution. They would not have tested this tire to go over a speed bump or a pothole with such a big cut.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 06:12   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Quote:
Both these tyres, from the pictures I can see, absoluty need to be changed.
For safety’s sake do not compromise and try to make savings on this. Such cuts are irreparable.

Please see the cut on my tyre below. It was a sharp piece of plastic from some debris on the road that caused it. Sadly, the rubber being soft, it had cut straight through and air was leaking. Irreparable. Not worth taking chances. Especially at the modern speeds. It was exactly at the shoulder, at the edge of the tread, close to the sidewall.
I changed the tyre immediately. Better to spend some money than to compromise life and well-being.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre cut : Fix it or change it?-b98be7708fe34569a374741f4d827795.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th February 2023 at 06:15.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 15:54   #42
BHPian

Quote:
but he doesn't have the bill.
Bill is not necessary, the tyre's manufacturing date should suffice to find out if it is still covered and if so, you can get a replacement.

Just to correct you - 5 year warranty is for Manufacturing defects whereas Unconditional warranty is only for 2 years from date of manufacturing.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 07:02   #43
BHPian

I suppose a typical 5 year warranty is given by tyre manufacturers.

This 2 year Unconditional warranty is typically given by car manufacturers or tyre manufacturers, or it could be both?

Mind elaborating further on differrences between the two types of warranties above?
Old 19th February 2023, 07:21   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions on this?
The depth of the cut will decide what should be done. Please get it inspected by JK tyre representative by claiming insurance.

90% chance of claim rejection, but you will know whether this tyre is usable or not.

Ask your friend to shift it to spare immediately, the cut may be growing in size and 'nothing happened till now' may not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
... cut straight through and air was leaking.
When air leaks, it is definitely a deep cut. You made the right decision.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 19th February 2023 at 07:27.
Old 30th March 2023, 14:45   #45
BHPian

Found this cut on front left tyre of my XUV 700. Not sure how this has happened. Car has barely run 6K Kms in city and on highways only.

I've driven in this condition for approximately 200 Kms on highway as there was no other choice. Tyre is holding pressure, but the cut looks nasty. Please advise if I keep it under observation or bite the bullet and replace?
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre cut : Fix it or change it?-whatsapp-image-20230330-14.36.37-1.jpeg  

Tyre cut : Fix it or change it?-whatsapp-image-20230330-14.36.36.jpeg  

Most Viewed