Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2007, 19:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlather View Post
But can someone tell us if there is a way to find out if alignment is out. I heard the following points about it. I think the car gives feedback itself, when the alignment is out but I need to know if there is any other way around?
When u are driving on a straight levelled road just try to leave the steering n see if the car is shifting track/lane by itself if its not then the allignment is fine.
If the car is shifting lanes n going towards right or left then its time to get your allignment checked.
Old 6th June 2007, 20:58   #17
BHPian

Had a brief visit to the dealer. He had a look and said - that isnt a bulge but the weight of the engine is making that. That is pretty normal.
Note that my tyres arent tubeless - it plainly slipped my mind while buying the car that I should have opted for tubeless :(

Now I have to take those two tests as some of you have suggested:
- driving on a levelled road and leave the steering to test the alignment.
- move the car a bit and check if the 'bulge' is visible somewhere else or at the bottom of the tyre due to the weight of the engine.

I need a second opinion with my tyres !
Not Enjoying,
CheeseGuy
Old 6th June 2007, 22:36   #18
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseGuy View Post
Had a brief visit to the dealer. He had a look and said - that isnt a bulge but the weight of the engine is making that. That is pretty normal.
Note that my tyres arent tubeless - it plainly slipped my mind while buying the car that I should have opted for tubeless :(
A tubed tyre will certainly bulge more at the sidewalls than a tubeless one at the same pressure. But the bulge in the photograph does not look normal and why is it there only on your front right tyre and not on the front left? And then apparently on only the outer side of the front right wheel?

The bulge in your case could be due to driving with low tyre pressure, coupled with the low profile of your tyres. I suggest you take a look at the following website and see if the bulge described there matches what you see on your tyre.

Technical Information Issue # 1

In any case, it is desirable to remove the tyre and inspect it from inside as well for any possible damage, as suggested in this website.
Old 7th June 2007, 17:51   #19
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseGuy View Post
Note that my tyres arent tubeless [....]
Here are a couple of pics I took of the front right tyre of a Wagon R in my company parking lot. This tyre is 145/70 R13 Bridgestone S322 tubetype.

This looks like a normal front tyre to me without the pronounced bulge seen in CheeseGuy's pic. I took these photos to see if somehow an illusion of a bulge could be created from certain angles in a normal tyre, but doesn't seem like it.
Old 19th October 2008, 16:29   #20
BHPian

Tyre bulge Query

Hi all,

There is a small bulge in one of my tyres (rear right). They are tubeless, Goodyear GPS2, on Zen, and around 3.5 years old, done 30000 kms.

Since this bulge is quite small, I was wondering whether it was Ok to continue with this tyre, or to put it as a spare wheel, or buy a new one. I guess there would be no warranty after 3.5 years of use, or can I claim warranty?

The car usually does not go above 80, and mostly is driven in the city. Also, after the rains, the roads have become horrible here, so that may have contributed to this - but the other tyres on the car are fine.

I was planning to use it till it comes up for rotation, and keep inspecting it now and then. However, if it is a safety hazard, i'll purchase one new tyre to replace it.

TIA for your inputs.

Simran
Attached Thumbnails
Doubtful of my WagonR front-left tyre-19102008.jpg  

Doubtful of my WagonR front-left tyre-19102008001.jpg  

Doubtful of my WagonR front-left tyre-19102008002.jpg  

Doubtful of my WagonR front-left tyre-19102008003.jpg  

Old 19th October 2008, 19:47   #21
BHPian

Looks like an sidewall impact damage on the zen here. You'll have to get the tyre dismounted and checked by a dealer or goodyear service engineer.

I agree with dadu on the sidewall bulge being a result of vehicle weight. The wagon I think is shod with 155/65/R13 JK Ultima's.
Old 19th October 2008, 20:21   #22
BHPian

Ok, thanks for your inputs.

In case its an impact damage, I guess the warranty will not apply, or can I ask for it? Also, how long is the warranty coverage on tyres?
Old 20th October 2008, 00:33   #23
BHPian

I presume you're running Goodyear GPS2,it has a waranty for 5 yeas from the date of manufacture. Yo get the manufacturing date take a glance at your sidewall it'll have a oval kind of marking with 4 numbers embossed like (2306) these are week and year respectively of manufacturing .
Old 20th October 2008, 12:36   #24
BHPian

Thank you for the inputs. I do have warranty on the tyre then. I will try to get a replacement for the tyre.

I will update the thread on the result.
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:40   #25
BHPian

I showed the tyre to a Goodyear dealer, and he said the bulge is due to the internal steel wires being bent due to some impact, and it is not a bulge, but a 'wave'. He also mentioned that this won't lead to tyre bursts and no need to change the tyre. The tyre was not opened; the dealer just ran his fingers on it.

I have an option of meeting the Goodyear engineer. Please let me know if it is necessary, or I should carry on with the tyre.

TIA

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks