Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2022, 12:10   #1
BHPian

Upgrade / Downsize options for Hyundai Alcazar tyres & wheels

Hi Folks,

I am buying a Hyundai Alcazar 2.0 (P) AT and I was thinking about upgrading the tyres on it.

In the past I've always wanted to upsize tyres on my cars, but I've usually had leased cars and hence did not do it upon buying. By the time the lease was coming to an end, I would like some other car on the market and switch to it. The upgrade dream would restart with the new car.

This time I'm getting the Alcazar on my own cost and I was thinking what should I do to make it better.

With age, I've come to realize that comfortable and silent ride and better road grip is more important than large rims. So I'm thinking the better upgrade option for Alcazar is to actually downsize.

Now the lower variants get a 17" allow vs the higher trims that get an 18". I think the alloys design / quality is the same, so I'm going to ask the dealer for a downsize swap.

Q1: Do you think it's a good idea to swap down the alloy tires? Can I get it done for free or will they ask me to shell out cash? Would it make sense to see if other customers getting a delivery at the same time would like an upsize?

Assuming that the forum convinces me to downsize, I was thinking of getting a 235 width tire for better grip / cornering. With the base size of 215/60 R17, the fatter option (acc to https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/) are 235/55 R17.

Q2: Will the 2.0 NA Petrol be able to handle a 235 section tire? Given it has only 191NM torque, will the car feel underpowered and sluggish to drive?

Q3: 235 sections goes back to a 55 profile. Will the ride comfort be impacted, or is this still ok since profile height should still be more than 215/55.

Finally regarding the tires themselves. I've see on this forum feedback about Michelin XM2, Yoko C drive 2 etc. Some have even said that their 215/55 R18s are much better than the stock 215/55 R18. How much of this is a placebo and how much of this is the truth?

Q4: How do I decide which tire (make / model) I should go for, for good ride comfort, less road noise, and moderate-ish highway speeds (100-120 kmph). Is there a stack rank of good tires models in India?

Thanks for the help / advice.
herculesksp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 12:13   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Upgrade / Downsize options for Hyundai Alcazar tyres & wheels

Before we get into the tire debate, is there any particular reason why you are going in for the Alcazar particularly? It’s not exactly a no brainier option or a great value for money proposition.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 12:41   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

@herculesksp - In my observation Hyundai always gets their wheels and tyres correct, It would be a waste of money to downsize or upsize. In most of their vehicles you could do only 1 size up without having to hack through the fender lining\ bumper etc.

There would be some harshness on rough roads with an 18 inch wheel in comparison to a 17 inch but overall its not something drastic to warrant a change. 215 section width is like that of a Duster \ Bolero - as in very competent at doing its job on Alcazar, 235 would be similar to Scorpio \ Sumo etc, it would be an overkill and most likely it would make things worse, be it traction \ acceleration \ braking \ fuel economy \ suspension wear to name a few.

Vehicles like this that are fully loaded from the factory need nothing more than just fuel, the Petrol AT is a pretty fast car though, enjoy it.
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 13:04   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Before we get into the tire debate, is there any particular reason why you are going in for the Alcazar particularly? It’s not exactly a no brainier option or a great value for money proposition.
I'll be going OT and hope the mods don't get annoyed, but I've seriously lost my brains trying to decide on a car in this segment.

I felt this Alcazar was the most well-rounded package and had the least compromises. Or, had the most number of compromises, but of the least magnitude.

Some of the arguments against the others were

1. XUV700 - What my heart wants, but mad waiting period and no ventilated seats. Wife and kids found the body roll uncomfortable.
2. Safari - Feels outdated in terms of looks and ICE
3. Carens - Odd equipment which will annoy my kids (1 food tray, small sunroof), and small seat heights (the neck rest was poking my back)
4. Hector - No AT in top trim Diesel or Hybrid Petrol

Meanwhile, Alcazar -
+ Small 3rd row (but my kids can ride there if need be, otherwise they use the 2nd row)
+ Ok-ish engine (but the 2.0 has enough power / smoothness for the 90% case)
+ Generally small interior size, but Wife found it more comfortable than XUV
+ Nicely done interiors (I'm bored of all the white / beige)
+ Been hearing lesser complaints / niggles than XUV / Safari
+ No crash test results, but some confidence in Hyundai as a brand
+ All possible bells and whistles (ventilated seats, speakers, connected car, etc)

I've mentioned some of these in the following threads. Would love it if you can help me out there and share some pointers too (if you disagree with my choice of Alcazar). I'm happy to take back my booking.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post5253090 (Hyundai Alcazar vs Tata Safari vs MG Hector Plus vs Toyota Innova Crysta vs others)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post5266456 (Kia Carens vs Maruti XL6 vs Maruti Ertiga vs others)

While I started with wanting to buy (possessing) a car in the next 2 months, I've decided to buy back my Baleno (Alpha CVT) from the lease and hold on to it for a few months, till I get a good car which'll be a keeper.
herculesksp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 13:50   #5
BHPian

Don't even think of 55 profile tyres in any size. U will get harsh ride and the tyres will be more prone to sidewall punctures.
Old 7th March 2022, 19:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Don't even think of 55 profile tyres in any size. U will get harsh ride and the tyres will be more prone to sidewall punctures.
Why so Sridhar?

According to this, both 215/60 and 235/55 have a sidewall height of 129mm. Shouldn't they both offer comparable cushioning and the distance between the rims the ground is the same in either case.

Am I reading this wrong?

Upgrade / Downsize options for Hyundai Alcazar tyres & wheels-tire_size.jpg
herculesksp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 22:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post

Meanwhile, Alcazar -
+ Small 3rd row (but my kids can ride there if need be, otherwise they use the 2nd row)
+ Ok-ish engine (but the 2.0 has enough power / smoothness for the 90% case)
+ Generally small interior size, but Wife found it more comfortable than XUV
+ Nicely done interiors (I'm bored of all the white / beige)
+ Been hearing lesser complaints / niggles than XUV / Safari
+ No crash test results, but some confidence in Hyundai as a brand
+ All possible bells and whistles (ventilated seats, speakers, connected car, etc)
welcome to TBHP, you asked for tire advice and we questioned your car purchase decision itself

One of my friends also recently bought the diesel version of Alcazar and is happy with it. His requirement for similar to your and wanted something refined. It may not be vfm but surely would do most things right without being the best at it.

Regarding tire upgrade, my recommendation would be to not change the size in itself but just switch to better Michelin rubber on purchase. Hyundai doesnt undertire their cars.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 23:02   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Appreciate your thought of downsizing from R18 to R17. Has benefits, and no downsides.

If you can get the dealer to agree to swap to the R17 setup, that’s the best option. Even if you have to make a little extra expense.

The potential problems with 235/55R17 will be the added unsprung weight and the extra load on the steering rack and power steering motor. The added risk is not worth the reward here. 215 is wide enough of this kind of vehicle and the power at hand.

Off topic: will suggest that you rethink your choice of engine. I see no long term future for this 2.0 NA petrol in India. With the Elantra discontinued, Carens getting the 1.4 turbo GDI and the upcoming new Tucson also expected to get turbocharged engines to match with the competition, I think it is only a matter of time before the plug is pulled on this engine. The turbo diesel, however, is going nowhere. It is the future proof option here.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 09:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Why so Sridhar?

According to this, both 215/60 and 235/55 have a sidewall height of 129mm. Shouldn't they both offer comparable cushioning and the distance between the rims the ground is the same in either case.

Am I reading this wrong?

Attachment 2281464
When you go from 215 to 235 you are only increasing the rolling resistance. So increase in width is suggested only if the car is under-tired relative to its power.
Actually only sidewall height is not the only criteria. The number of plys in the sidewall, the material of the plys, tread pattern and the tyre pressure you maintain all contribute to ride quality.
But a quick metric is the aspect ratio. On Indian roads 70-65-60 is the gradation of decreasing ride comfort. 55 is the pits unless you are regualrly driving at illegal speeds and taking a racing line in corners(at those speeds).

In my opinion 215 width is insufficient for the 2L petrol. 225 or 235 would be better. But the car manufacturers persist in giving us skinny tyres.

If you want, downsize to 17". Then go in for 60 or 65 profile tyres. Actually 235/65R17 is a tyre size that is readily available. 225/65R17 is costlier. Check the % increase in diameter.
sridhar-v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 09:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I'll be going OT and hope the mods don't get annoyed, but I've seriously lost my brains trying to decide on a car in this segment.

While I started with wanting to buy (possessing) a car in the next 2 months, I've decided to buy back my Baleno (Alpha CVT) from the lease and hold on to it for a few months, till I get a good car which'll be a keeper.
In the same boat as yours, booked the Alcazar petrol AT for all the reasons you mentioned above.Currently given 4 months waiting hence thinking of buying a 2nd hand small car and wait on the sideline for some more time for upcoming options , new s cross , Hyundai Tuscon, honda hybrid, toyota mid size SUV
Old 12th March 2022, 19:41   #11
BHPian

In case you are going to choose 17 inch tyres, go for 225/60 R17. You can use the same 17 inch alloys for this size. This will offer you the best of both worlds. The sidewall is tall enough to offer you comfortable ride and the width is in between too much and too little!
mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 00:47   #12
BHPian

Re: Upgrade / Downsize options for Hyundai Alcazar tyres & wheels

Waking up this thread. It's almost been a ritual for me to exchange/buyback stock tyres on a new ride with a proper upgrade of rubber and size (upsize only if the car is seemingly under tyred). My spirited drives to twisty mountain roads had always pushed me to get grippy rubbers for peace of mind. So, a change to Bridgestone in early days and Michelin more recently have been the norm.

I recently was on a lookout for exchange of Alcazar Signature tyres which are Apollo Apterra Cross 215/55 R18 95H as stock. Since tyre width is ok, I was looking just for a better rubber. Seems like Michelin does not currently have this size in market, I have been pointed to Conti UC which does have this size (but are not readily available off the shelf). I enquired about buyback and price being offered is ridiculously low. Was given a waiting time of 10 days and have driven 250 kms on stock tyres so far.

The stock tyres are not half as bad as I've expected. I can attribute comfort to Alcazar's tight and cushy suspension, but tyres are also not that harsh or noisy. I'm yet to travel on open road speeds, but seems like keeping these on for sometime is not a big compromise. Mostly so, since surprisingly, availability of this size is still quite limited.

Note that Empire Varthur offered me 235/50 which has same sidewall height but the stock rims max out at 225 width. Due to previous, rather sour, experience of oversize width of tyre on my Getz Crdi a few years ago - I am not keen on the offered size.

My take, I am leaning towards driving stock this time and review in 6 months. I will anyway loose new tyre buyback possibly in next 50-100 kms range, not that the offered 14k for 4 stock tyres is making any sense either. Given that I will have to shell out more than that on a single tyre from Conti.

Any suggestions or experience with stock tyres (Apollo Apterra's) to share?
Old 8th March 2024, 08:56   #13

Hi, waking up this thread.

My Alcazar's front left stock tyre (215/55 R18) got a sidewall puncture (hit a pothole). Hyundai service center is recommending me to change the tyre as it's a sidewall damage and there will be a risk of tyre bursting at highway speeds which may lead to severe accident. But one of the local shops is recommending me to go for hot repair.

I don't have much ideas in this regard, but since I typically go for (1000+ KM) highway drives at least twice a year and have already driven ~19K KMs so far, I was thinking changing the tyre may make it safer for me.
  1. What do you guys suggest?
  2. If I should change tyre, which one would be best option at same profile (215/55 R18)?
  3. Should I change all 4, or only the damaged one?

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th March 2024, 13:50   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f9_abs View Post

What do you guys suggest?
It's not safe to use a patched-up tyre with sidewall damage, regardless of the car usage so It's better to replace the tyre.

Quote:
If I should change tyre, which one would be best option at same profile (215/55 R18)?
The best option available for 215/55R18 tyre is Continental UC6.

Quote:
Should I change all 4, or only the damaged one?
It's not recommended to change just one tyre as it makes the tread depth uneven between all four tyres, you can get two new tyres and use them on the front and use best two out of three old tyres at the rear.

Last edited by NA-driver : 8th March 2024 at 13:56.

Most Viewed