Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2022, 10:18   #1
BHPian

Sidewall issues, Warranty or FNG? | Update: JK Tyres replaced tyre under unconditional warranty

Hi BHPians,
I had been observing very mild loss pressure in one tyre of my 2021 Creta within 2-3 months of buying the car. I initially attributed it to minor leakage from valve as it only went down 1-2psi compared to the other 3 tyres. It was not affecting the driving and did not require constant refilling. Considering that the car has a highline TPMS sensor, i was putting off the checking/replacement as i did not want to get it done on the roadside.

Last week, the pressure started going lower than usual and so i didn't have an option but to take it to a puncture shop. In addition to a puncture due to a rusted nail, we observed 5 spots on the sidewall on either side from where there was a very slow leakage (picture below).

Sidewall issues, Warranty or FNG? | Update: JK Tyres replaced tyre under unconditional warranty-tyre1.jpeg

Sidewall issues, Warranty or FNG? | Update: JK Tyres replaced tyre under unconditional warranty-tyre2.jpeg

On both sides, this is happening on the ribbed line portion. The repair shop guy told me that he will have to take out the tyre and fix these from the inside. Before going for it, i wanted your opinion on some points:

1. This does not look like a regular puncture and unlikely to be caused by road conditions or wear & tear. 2 leakages are on the outer side while 3 are on the inner side of the tyre. Could this be a manufacturing defect and will it be covered under warranty?

2. For tyre warranty claims, do we approach the car dealer or contact the tyre manufacturer or their authorized seller?

3. The tyre shop guy said it could be someone using a sharp object (but how would they do it on the inner side of the tyre). During the last service, i got the tyres rotated. Can this damage happen during tyre removal and refitting?

4. Should i just leave the hassle, spend Rs 1500 and go for sidewall puncture repair?
Totoro11 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 10:35   #2
BANNED

re: Sidewall issues, Warranty or FNG? | Update: JK Tyres replaced tyre under unconditional warranty

Tyre is damaged. Speak to the hyundai dealer about warranty, if they can replace it good or just get the tyre replaced on your own. And no, the tyres aren't removed when rotated. They are simply rotated along with the wheels. The possibility of a long nail causing a puncture and then moving further inside eventually causing a sidewall puncture is possible. Multiple sidewall punctures are in most cases caused by puncture shops only. They have small nails in their finger to execute such things. Please get it checked at a proper tyre shop. And please do not go for that puncture repair nonsense. Sidewall is a critical part of the tyre, no point risking it.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 10:36   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Sidewall issues, Warranty or FNG? | Update: JK Tyres replaced tyre under unconditional warranty

Tyre companies dont easily accept this a warranty applicable issue. They will not accept the point about the issue being on the inner side of the wheel.

You can give still give it a shot, but repair at a reputed shop is what you may have to go for. If warranty replacement does not happen, then get it repaired and move it to the spare is my suggestion.
condor is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 10:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro11 View Post
Hi BHPians,

2. For tyre warranty claims, do we approach the car dealer or contact the tyre manufacturer or their authorized seller?

3. The tyre shop guy said it could be someone using a sharp object (but how would they do it on the inner side of the tyre). During the last service, i got the tyres rotated. Can this damage happen during tyre removal and refitting?

4. Should i just leave the hassle, spend Rs 1500 and go for sidewall puncture repair?
Hello! JK Tyres offers unconditional warranty - which means any non-repairable damage short of you slashing the tyres yourself - on all their tyres upto 2 years from date of manufacturing. I suggest you open a ticket with their team and share the same with Hyundai customer service, who will get your replacement prioritised.

BY ALL MEANS DO NOT REPAIR THE TYRE AS IT MEANS THAT YOUR CLAIM WILL GET REJECTED!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Tyre companies dont easily accept this a warranty applicable issue. They will not accept the point about the issue being on the inner side of the wheel.

You can give still give it a shot, but repair at a reputed shop is what you may have to go for. If warranty replacement does not happen, then get it repaired and move it to the spare is my suggestion.
The policy differs by company - JK and Ceat offer unconditional warranty on all products, Apollo offers it on some specific products (taxi application tyres). An acquaintance of mine had his stock JK tyres on his Seltos replaced after a similar issue

Last edited by RubberGuru1113 : 31st August 2022 at 10:44.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 19:01   #5
BHPian

Update 1:
As suggested by Rubberguru, Asit & Condor, i wrote to Hyundai Customer Care, Dealer Sales & Service (Safdarjang Hyundai) and logged a request at the JK Tyre website.

Car Dealer: very prompt response, i got email acknowledgement and phone calls from their service team within the hour. They spoke to their contact in JK and offered pick & drop for tyre inspection. Since i insisted on getting it done myself, they passed on the contact details. Unfortunately the tyre dealer did not have the right tyres in stock so they asked me to visit tomorrow. Fingers crossed

JK Tyres: got a call in the 2nd half, they again took all the details and lodged a proper complaint. Received a callback in the evening where they have shared another dealer's contact for inspection and possible replacement.

Hyundai:
No response, not even an automated acknowledgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
JK Tyres offers unconditional warranty. I suggest you open a ticket with their team and share the same with Hyundai customer service, who will get your replacement prioritized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If warranty replacement does not happen, then get it repaired and move it to the spare is my suggestion.
With OEMs going for a space saver tyre as spare, i cannot interchange the two for regular use. If i use the main tyre as spare, there'll be an additional hassle of disposing the smaller new spare, buying a new rim and the possibility of another slow leakage in the repaired tyre going unnoticed.

Response from JK folks has been positive so far, anxiously waiting for tomorrow. Thanks for all your inputs.

Last edited by Totoro11 : 31st August 2022 at 19:02. Reason: typo
Totoro11 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 14:21   #6
BHPian

Update 2:

Visited the JK Tyre dealer (in a far corner of Gurgaon) yesterday. The Sales Executive from JK Tyre, Mr Prathul also came over to the dealership to personally help in the process. Tyre was removed, inflated and inspected. They did find the multiple spots where there was a leakage. They took pictures of the same and uploaded in the dealer app. The case was returned as the company also wanted a picture of the inner surface of the tyre. With this, the claim was accepted and they replaced the tyre with a new one.

The process includes the usual charges for tread loss and labor for removal and refitting. JK Tyre has a good warranty policy and the SE confirmed that it is indeed unconditional. While i was worried for the last two days (having heard the stories of warranty claim rejection), the staff was pretty chilled out and helpful.

Special mention to car dealer (Safdarjang Hyundai) for escalating the matter to higher-ups in JK Tyres and following up on the case progress.

Tyre removed:
Sidewall issues, Warranty or FNG? | Update: JK Tyres replaced tyre under unconditional warranty-tyre-3.jpeg

New Tyre:
Sidewall issues, Warranty or FNG? | Update: JK Tyres replaced tyre under unconditional warranty-tyre-4.jpeg

Hoping this is the Mfg month & year:
Sidewall issues, Warranty or FNG? | Update: JK Tyres replaced tyre under unconditional warranty-tyre-5.jpeg

Thanks to BHPians for chipping in with suggestions and experiences.
Totoro11 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 15:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
JK Tyre has a good warranty policy and the SE confirmed that it is indeed unconditional. While i was worried for the last two days (having heard the stories of warranty claim rejection), the staff was pretty chilled out and helpful.
Glad to know that your experience was hassle free. The sad part is that hardly anyone is aware of the un-conditional warranty policy of JK and Ceat. Also, it is important to note that had you attempted to repair the tyre, the warranty claim would have been rejected as it is mentioned in the terms and conditions that sidewall repair would void the warranty.

The best way to go in such scenarios is to just change to the spare tyre without attempting any repair and submit a warranty claim. This also highlights how important it is that the spare tyre is in a good condition and regularly inflated.

Quote:
Hoping this is the Mfg month & year:
Attachment 2353640
Small correction - it is the Week and year code, which means it was manufactured in the last week of January.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 10:28   #8
BANNED

Re: Sidewall issues, Warranty or FNG? | Update: JK Tyres replaced tyre under unconditional warranty

Quote:
JK Tyre has a good warranty policy and the SE confirmed that it is indeed unconditional. While i was worried for the last two days (having heard the stories of warranty claim rejection), the staff was pretty chilled out and helpful.
Wao, what an outcome. I had never expected this outcome that too with so much clarity and speed. Hats off to JK for keeping their words on unconditional warranty, keeping the customer happy and putting a great example of customer service with empathy.

Next time onwards it will put me in ease when dealing with JK tyres on my cars. That's how a brand and customer loyalty is build.

Thanks
UD
UD17 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 12:38   #9
rkw
BHPian

Re: Sidewall issues, Warranty or FNG? | Update: JK Tyres replaced tyre under unconditional warranty

Quote:
Update 2:
JK Tyre has a good warranty policy and the SE confirmed that it is indeed unconditional.
Glad to see this positive development! Good that you did not go for repair. Anything other than normal puncture fix is not recommended for tubeless tyres. Especially side wall repair can compromise tyre's structural integrity.

On a side note, side wall punctures are also done by unscrupulous tyre puncture shops as it is relatively easy to do by hands with a pointed object. They do it meticulously while inspecting tyre for normal puncture. So one normal puncture becomes 4-5 side wall punctures in addition. I have come across this in case of some roadside tyre shops. So I always prefer trusted places only for air filling.
rkw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 13:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Last week, the pressure started going lower than usual and so i didn't have an option but to take it to a puncture shop. In addition to a puncture due to a rusted nail, we observed 5 spots on the sidewall on either side from where there was a very slow leakage (picture below).
You my friend have been scammed. The number of punctures (1 + 5) you had does not correspond to the rate of loosing pressure you mentioned.
I am confident that you only had one slow leak from the nail. Rest were deliberately done by the scoundrel repairing your tire.

Below is the sequence of event on how I was similarly scammed, lets see how many you check on
1. You visited a puncture repair shop associated with a petrol bunk / a branded shop specializing in tire repair (Repairwala?)
2. They distracted you as soon as tire was removed with a) please pull handbrake / gear in your car for safety b) Some polish / car cleaning sales pitch c) move you car
3. When you came back he innocently showed you these multiple sidewall punctures
4. He offered to repair them from inside with mushroom plugs for 150/puncture.

You did the right thing by not getting it repaired. NEVER REPAIR A SIDE WALL DAMAGE PUNCTURE.
Also please share the name / location of this thief so that we can be saved.

In my opinion stand alone shacks are more honest for puncture repair. Branded tire shops are also OK if you have a good relation with them and they entertain you.
These petrol bunk shops pay a huge fixed rental to land owner and have to 'drive sales' to meet the rent

Cheers
Vishwas

Last edited by vishwaschettri : 4th September 2022 at 13:59.
vishwaschettri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 22:42   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
You my friend have been scammed. The number of punctures (1 + 5) you had does not correspond to the rate of loosing pressure you mentioned.
If the punctures were deliberate, company will not entertain the claim.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 10:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
You my friend have been scammed.
1. You visited a puncture repair shop associated with a petrol bunk / a branded shop specializing in tire repair (Repairwala?)
2. They distracted you as soon as tire was removed with a) please pull handbrake / gear in your car for safety b) Some polish / car cleaning sales pitch c) move you car
3. When you came back he innocently showed you these multiple sidewall punctures
4. He offered to repair them from inside with mushroom plugs for 150/puncture.

Also please share the name / location of this thief so that we can be saved.

1.Yes i did visit a shop associated with a HPCL petrol pump as it appeared a bit more professional. Asif Raza/Tegi Puncture Repairs in Sector-67 Gurgaon (it is on google maps) in case others want to avoid it.

2. & 3. Don't think that happened as i never left the tyre out of sight (unless he hid something in his hand while inspecting).

4. Yes, and he quoted 250/puncture.

I would have succumbed to it, if not for having read so many discussions on this forum. TBHP gave me hope to atleast give it a try with the dealer & OEM.
Totoro11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 12:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
Wao, what an outcome. I had never expected this outcome that too with so much clarity and speed. Hats off to JK for keeping their words on unconditional warranty, keeping the customer happy and putting a great example of customer service with empathy.

Next time onwards it will put me in ease when dealing with JK tyres on my cars. That's how a brand and customer loyalty is build.
Small gestures and good behavior from company employees goes a long way in building the brand. The JK Tyre gentleman did not have to come all the way to an authorized tyre dealership, but he did. The car dealership was not mandated to follow up on the issue every few hours, but they did.

While people swear by Yokohomas and Michelins, Indian Tyre makers too can delight you with their customer service. Their marketing team however needs to capitalize on this big warranty differentiator and educate customers.
Totoro11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 01:00   #14
rkw
BHPian

Quote:

2. & 3. Don't think that happened as i never left the tyre out of sight (unless he hid something in his hand while inspecting).
Normally, they hide small sharp object in their hand & puncture the side wall as it is relatively easier than the treaded part which can withstand higher pressure. If one asks them how side wall gets punctured when it is not in contact with road surface, they will give reasons such as tyre running on low tyre pressure etc.
But your case primarily doesn't seem to be above modus operandi due to 2 reasons:
1) Your mention of side wall punctures on the inside. This is unlikely if the tyres were not removed.
2) Tyre company would have found out & not honoured warranty.
rkw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 19:48   #15
BHPian

I had a similar issue with a new tyre on my Hyundai Accent. It was a brand new Apollo tyre out of a full set. I was driving from Bangalore to Erode which is my native. 10 kms from Erode, I had a flat. I noticed a huge nail embedded in the tire and went to a puncture shop close by. He said sidewall damage, changed my Stepney and sent me on my way. I drove straight to the dealer, I had done just 800 kms on the set. He very casually took the tyre, told me to pay Rs. 300 for Tyrewear, fixed a new tyre, and sent me on my way. Unconditional 2 year warranty!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks