Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 19:47   #1
BHPian

SX4 Zxi, JK Vectra Stock Tyres, should I change to low profile tyres ?

hi guys,

Got my SX4, Zxi yesterday, hope to go for a long drive this weekend, the stock tyres that came with it are JK Vectra, what is the opinion of experts in this matter? Is it better to change these and go for some low profile tyres ?

Any members who have got it done ?

Thanks in advance

Shanky
Old 9th July 2007, 21:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ile-tyres.html
Old 9th July 2007, 23:23   #3
BHPian

Hi Shanky

If your SX4 is black, i think you might be interested in this thread.

cheers

rev_hard
Old 10th July 2007, 01:34   #4

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

i think the stock jk vectras are ood enough.to go for low profile tyres,you will have to upgrade to bigger rims and i see no point exchanging those stock enkei's for taiwanese alloys.your ride quality would deteriorate as well.
Old 10th July 2007, 02:14   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Depends on your daily usage. If you are a guy who pushes the car hard into corners then yes you may need low profile wider tires. For sane city/highway driving the current set of tires are OK. Besides like someone wanted unless you want to go upsize on the rims I would not put to rest those Enkei's. Also, finding the right PCD rims for the SX4 is going to be a hard job.
Old 4th September 2007, 23:27   #6
BHPian

I have decided on SX4 ZXI Silver, after quite an extensive research. Hopefully, should have it in 15-20 days time.

Also realised the stock JK vectras are so so.... wondering if i should change them asap (can hope to get a good price on their exchange).

I'm looking for stock specification Size : 205/60R16, with good balance of dry/wet traction & ride, low noise, comfort, ~40-45k life, VFM too... (oops, am i askin for too much). Basically, looking for an above-average general purpose tyre.

Bridgestone POTENZA GIII 205/60R16 92H is the closest & only one I got to!!!! Could’nt find the the size in Michelin Energy XM1 / MXV series, which otherwise would have, IMHO, been more appropriate for my needs.

Looking forward to your valuable opinion & suggestions.
Old 5th September 2007, 00:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

In 205/60 R16 your options are:

Yokohama DB ES501
Michelin Energy MXV8
Old 5th September 2007, 00:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

ES501 are very nice tyres. GIIIs are not.
Old 5th September 2007, 00:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
ES501 are very nice tyres. GIIIs are not.
I agree. They are fabulous for your requirements.
Old 5th September 2007, 09:29   #10
BHPian

Thank you iraghava & v1p3r for your suggestions.YOKOHAMA DNA dB ES501 .....looks good to me!!!!!!

How much do they cost (ES501 & MXV8 @ Bangalore) & what can I expect for my New JK Vectra's 205/60R16. Do they carry a warranty in India?

Any other alternatives you would want me to take a look at? Thank you 1s again.
Old 5th September 2007, 12:46   #11
BHPian

Just to let you know, I was considering to change the stock tyres too but after some advice from fellow TBHPians , dropped the idea .

Change the JK ones if you want to and have good reasons to justify your decision, but I find them quite good , have not gone for a long drive on highway etc yet but within city they are very good.
Old 10th December 2009, 11:38   #12
BHPian

Is it worth changing/upgrading the stock JK Vectra of SX4 ZXi

@Mods: Did not find much info / discussion on SX4 tyres so created a new thread. If you feel it could be somewhere else please shift.

I am going to have my SX4 ZXi in a few days. I have been following up this section for quite some times now. Got a lot of info on Michelin, Apollo, Yoko etc. but not much information on JK Tyres.

I would like to know how are the stock JK Vectras - 205/60-R16" ? Any owners experience who have not changed these stock tyres for some good running distance ? The criteria I will be looking at are : Comfort, Safety (both dry and wet), Fuel economy and long term reliability. Keeping these in view is it worth considering a change from the stock ones ?

If yes - which would be the best replacement ? Shortlisted tyres having the same profile are :
  1. Apollo Acelere
  2. Bridgestone Turanza GR 80/ Potenza GIII
  3. Yokohama DNA decible ES 501
  4. Continental CPC2
I have not considered Michelin Primacy LC for its cost factor. Any other tyres which I have not shortlisted here ?

Also would it be a good idea to go for a different profile ? Not sure though what and why.

Looking forward to hear from the tyre gurus.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

According to me (I don't have SX4 experience) Michelin is best tyre right now. Then comes Turanza and Yoko as far as any Sedan is concerned(comfort/safe factor).

JK tyres are not bad but you will find better ride and less noise only If you go for Michelin because other tyres might offer marginal differance compared to JK. I have seen JK vectras lasting for more than 60,000km in a car without single issue and I found ride is good as well.

My feeling you stick to JK or go for Michelin. and No need to upsize please for SX4 unless you want really bigger tyers

Ravi.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:10   #14
Team-BHP Support

You will get good price for your JKs if you talk to tyre dealer before delivery, and walk straight into tire shop from the showroom.
JK Vectra is a very lousy tire from handling perspective, and it will be better to get get some good rubber as SX4 is a powerful sedan.
You can go for Michelin/Yoko/Conti
Continental Sportcontact is OEM on VW and is a very good tire, and ditto for Michelin. Then there are Yokos in performance tire segment.
You get what suits your budget, you will not go wrong with either of them.
Old 10th December 2009, 13:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

On a SX4, I would say, it is a MUST to change those stock JKs out of showroom as these totally spoils the NVH to a great extent.. but choices in 16 are limited.. if all you want is better FE, less noise then go for Primacy LC.. it would amaze you..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks