Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2023, 10:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Michelin considering manufacturing tyres for cars in India

According to Florent Menegaux, CEO of Michelin, the French tyre brand is considering manufacturing car tyres in India. It would help the company scale up its operations in India.

Michelin considering manufacturing tyres for cars in India-michelin_corporate_logo___color_3.jpg

Michelin sees India as a great developing market, where infrastructure is developing at a fast pace. Menegaux believes that with proper infrastructure, the speed of vehicles will increase and the relevance of the brand's technology will be even more visible.

Michelin is looking to invest in the country to boost its passenger car tyre capacity, which is currently limited to premium bigger-size tyres for performance cars and radial tyres for trucks and buses. It has a production facility in Chennai with an installed capacity of over 30,000 tonnes per annum. Michelin also gets 2-wheeler tyres manufactured in the country through a partner.

In 2020, the government of India imposed curbs on imports of certain tyres used in cars, buses, trucks, and motorcycles with an aim to promote domestic manufacturing. Menegaux stated that it was a bit disappointing for the company which was in the process of scaling up operations in the country.

Michelin employs close to 1.32 lakh people globally, with 2,300 of them in India. The company has set up a centre for artificial intelligence in Pune.

Source: ET

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 17th April 2023 at 10:13.
TusharK is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 10:44   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Michelin considering manufacturing tyres for cars in India

Good to see this news. Better it actually leads to manufacturing setup in India. That would be a direct result IMO of the government's high taxation / ban on normal spec tyres from countries like China, to block dumping.

While the jury is still out there on whether the import ban on tyres is justified - I definitely feel a manufacturing setup in India will be a big win. Lots of direct and indirect jobs, and a far steadier tyre supply, especially from a loved brand like Michelin. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th April 2023 at 08:32. Reason: Edited
Reinhard is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 10:44   #3
BHPian

I am looking for replacement tires for my car and the same was told to me by one of the dealer here in Pune. As per him, it will take a couple of years at least before we have the Made In Indian Michelin’s out in market.

Last edited by abhi_tjet : 17th April 2023 at 10:46.
abhi_tjet is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 11:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Michelin tires have all but disappeared from India, thanks to the import ban imposed by the government. Their hand is forced. If they want to continue doing business in India, they have to manufacture here. And no manufacturer can ignore one of the largest and fastest growing markets of the world.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 13:05   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

While I sympathize with the current issues with Michelin tyre supplies, I am ecstatic that the carrot and stick approach by GoI is paying off. Michelin needs to curtail using the Thailand FTA and invest directly in manufacturing here.

Look at Continental! Totally different "Atmanirbhar" approach and easily poaching Michelin customers left right and center. Same with MRF with Perfinza.

I'd also take the 2 year timeline with a big pinch of salt. With existing operations in India, it might be easy for them to bring in the premium tyre compounds and moulds pretty quickly. With most C1++ vehicles now sporting 16"++ tyres, it would be criminally silly not to.
itwasntme is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 14:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

The GOI move to stop imports from Thailand was really a revival of the old license raj regime, customers are now squeezed with high price substandard stuff the domestic companies always churned out. I hope the FTA is revived so that we can have quality products, protectionism always means high prices and poor quality. I have a good experience with the 2 sets of Michelins on my Fiat, I hope they are available when it's time to replace the Apollos on my Sonet.
avira_tk is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 15:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wasn't there a revival of Michelins during 2021? what happened to that? When I was looking to change in June 2021, I had Michelin P4ST as an option. It just was too expensive, 2000 Rs/tyre premium over Continental UC6.

The prices also need to fall from the premium they are charging. Otherwise those on the fence like me are Continental converts already.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 17:55   #8
BHPian

If this materializes it will be win to all stakeholders. GoI is flaunting the soft power that comes with being a 3rd largest car market and 5th largest economy. Not only this but an economy that is set to continue the growth momentum. Our Balance of payments position is good, forex reserves are good, trade deficit is about 18% which is good despite the oil price situation. GoI has managed national debt far better than other big economies. There is a big movement of OEMs away from China (The China + 1 policy) as well. Apple contractors are setting up manufacturing in India too.

Given this soft power, GoI can and should do things that will industrialize India at a faster pace. This is the age of India. While I do love Michelin tires, and have avoided them so far because of higher taxes. I will most definitely be buying them once they start producing in India.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 09:45   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I just hope they also retain the "good" and grippy Michelins for us enthusiasts. I used to be a big fan of imported Bridgestone tyres, but the last time I visited a Bridgestone shop in Mumbai, it only had cheaper tyres catering to those looking at a long life. None of their premium, grippy range. That's why I haven't bought a Bridgestone tyre in 10+ years.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 10:59   #10
BHPian

Both Michelin and Continental are out of stock for bigger tyres for luxury cars. Micheline because they cannot import and Continental because of some internal issue on the product to be launched in the market. When recently I replaced my 245/45 R18 tyres, I had to run to couple of dealers to find the tyres as most of the dealers were out of stock for the size.
The result - Other companies like good year etc. are gaining lot of new customers.

Bridgestone were great tyres initially when launched but later the quality went down and their performance was such that loyal fans too switched to other brands. But made in India Continental tyres are great. So, hopefully Michelin should retain the quality as and when they start manufacturing in India.
autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 11:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The GOI move to stop imports from Thailand was really a revival of the old license raj regime, customers are now squeezed with high price substandard stuff the domestic companies always churned out. I hope the FTA is revived so that we can have quality products, protectionism always means high prices and poor quality.
Off-topic but I feel the license raj analogy is a little dated. There are no 'licenses' any more, FDI is largely via automatic route and modern technologies are flowing in (and not obsolete production lines).

I am a layman but general reviews of tyres like the Vredestein Ultrac Vorti and MRF Perfinza are also highly rated. In fact when I changed my BMW 330i's RFTs to tubeless, I nearly went for Vredestein had not BMW hinted that Michelin was 'preferred' for warranty purposes.

I wish Michelin India all the best in quickly setting up a production line here.
itwasntme is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 12:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Competition. And Michelin has succumbed to it.
Passenger car radial market hold considerable revenues for any tyre manufacturer in India. Particularly aftermarket where the margins are much better than supplying to OEM's. Michelin has done its maths and will now put its money, (and they have oodles of it), where its mouth is.

Amongst the "phoren" tyre companies: Goodyear setup its plant in Aurangabad many moons back, then Bridgestone, then Yokohama, then Continental. Falken and Hankook also contract manufactures with some local entity.
And recently Apollo and CEAT, both, have been upping their offerings.
Apollo will slowly bring in their entire Vredestein range in the coming years. The home grown stalwarts: MRF and JK continue to do well particularly in the lower end of the market and the replacement market for taxi's, trucks and buses. These two Indian tyre companies also have a flourishing re-treading business.
Thus it is no surprise that Michelin finally blinked.
In the long term there's more money to be made and more brand credibility that can be built up if your products are manufactured and sold here thus being "seen" more in day to day life. "Jo-Dikhta hain, woh bikta hain",(What You See, Sells).

For us, consumers it is another good choice. Hope they will come up with an appropriate tyre range and compound which will provide a good balance between performance, longevity and cost.

Last edited by arjab : 19th April 2023 at 12:23.
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 12:49   #13
BHPian

It’s a good news. My vehicle tires are expected to change in 2 years. Good year tires with the OEM was average and felt lot of road noise inside the car. After upgrading to Michelin XM2, cabin noise reduced drastically and there was noticeable improvement in comfort (probably bcoz of higher profiles). I felt Michelin Rubber compound is soft so have to be careful while parking near foot path. One of my front tyre sidewall cut happen due to a raised sewage manual.
Old 10th August 2023, 18:08   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I was at the local Michelin Tyre Empire just now to fill nitrogen. They just told me that there has been a communique from Michelin India that they are ramping up production in India and will make 205/55/16 size and all. And apparently they will resume imports of all tyres in another three months time.

This is just hearsay. Would be good if we can get some corroboration from those who are better connected.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 10:53   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
They just told me that there has been a communique from Michelin India that they are ramping up production in India and will make 205/55/16 size and all. And apparently they will resume imports of all tyres in another three months time.
Glad to hear that the carrot-and-stick approach is working. Michelin must be enviously studying the success of Atmanirbhar OEMs like Vredestein, MRF & Continental.

They will be the ultimate losers if they cannot cash in to the massive Indian markets. 16" is rapidly the standard size for many cars and upsizers.

https://www.cnbctv18.com/business/co...l-17115131.htm
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks