Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2023, 20:04   #1
BHPian

BMW X3 Tyre Dilemma

My X320D has completed 3.5 years and run only 21,000 km. It runs on factory fitted Bridgestone Alenza 245/50/R19.

Few months back there was a puncture in the rear left tyre which was fixed by a local puncture shop.

During my recent trip out of town, I found the same tyre leaking air. As I could not get a decent tyre shop along the way drove around 80 km at slow speed. I topped up the pressure twice during the drive. The lowest it dropped was 24psi.

On inspecting the tyre after returning it was observed that air was leaking from the same spot which was repaired earlier. Also the puncture was close to the sidewall.

The technician also observed uneven wear on the inside surface of the tyre and mentioned that the problem could be either with the bearings or the suspension. The rear left tyre also has marginal wear on the inside not as much as the right.

Immediately took the car to the service centre. The technician at the service center on inspection stated the reason for uneven wear as driving on low pressure. I have always maintained the pressure as 32 on all tyres. Only time the car has run on low pressure is when the tyre was punctured twice. Also all tyres have developed slight cracks and the technician recommended changing all 4.

I have read on other threads people facing uneven wear of tyres on BMW's. Is it a common issue? What could be the cause of the car eating away the inner surface of the tyres?

FYI there is no issue with the car drifting on one side or vibrations on the steering wheel even on triple digit speeds

Another headache is finding replacement tyres in the required size.

I would love to get the Michelin PS4ST but it is officially not available in India and none of the dealers I spoke to have them in stock.

Other options are

1. Bridgestone Alanza Run flats - same as stock. Again not available officially in the size. Getting imported ones from local dealers which are second half 2022 manufactured but guess those are grey market ones. Navnit motors is offering officially imported ones but at a huge markup

2. Pirelli Run flats - Have not read good reviews online

3. Vredestein ULTRAC - This is available in 255/50/19. Not sure if change in size will void warranty

Any help sourcing the Michelin PS4STs would be highly appreciated. Kindly suggest an alternative if Michelins are not available. I am based in Mumbai.
TheStRyder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 05:04   #2
BHPian

re: BMW X3 Tyre Dilemma

Have the wheel alignment checked, and adjustments made especially on the rears.

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2023 at 10:19. Reason: Typo
zeng is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 13:09   #3

Re: BMW X3 Tyre Dilemma

Actually I am in the same dilemma. My 2019 X3 20d with 28,000 kms on the odo is due for tyre replacement. There are not many options in 245/50 R19. Hence I was thinking of upgrading to non RFT 255/50 R19. Enquired with the tyre dealer for Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV and got the quote of 24k per tyre.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th February 2024 at 07:28. Reason: Multiple clean up edits.
Gaurav_P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 14:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurav_P View Post
Actually I am in the same dilemma. My 2019 X3 20d with 28000 Thousand kms on the odo is due for tyre replacement. There are not many options in 245/50 r19. Hence i was thinking of upgrading
to non rft 255/50 r19. Enquired with the tyre dealer for michelin pilot sport 4 suv and got the quote of 24k per tyre.
There are lot of options available in 255/50/r19. Not sure how the change in size will affect the warrenty. Spoke to a Michelin dealer on phone and he said that he will have to check if the 255's will fit in the front wheel well.

I am also getting 255/50 ZR19 107W XL Vredestein Ultrac Vorti-i Tubeless for 21k.
Old 13th June 2023, 17:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStRyder View Post
Other options are

2. Pirelli Run flats - Have not read good reviews online

Two days ago I changed from Conti SC to Pirelli P7's. Did a 300 km drive. Could notice a definite improvement in noise levels. More quieter than my 30k run Conti's

May I know where you've seen those "not so good" reviews about the Pirelli's? Unless you were looking at Low profile ones.

Thanks,
S
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 11:26   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are lot of options available in 255/50/r19. Not sure how the change in size will affect the warrenty. Spoke to a Michelin dealer on phone and he said that he will have to check if the 255's will fit in the front wheel well.
I'm reasonably sure going from 245/50 to 255/50 won't cause any issues. Nor will it touch or rub anywhere. In fact I hope you are changing to tubeless from the RFTs. The only downside you may notice is that the body roll increases slightly during higher speed cornering. Apart from that the comfort will go a few notches up.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 14:06   #7
BHPian

Sorry for the late reply. You can check the Run Flat Tyres thread on the forum. Few members are not happy with Pirellis. Also someone in my friend circle switched to Pirellis on his X1 and was quite unhappy. But as long as you are happy with your tyres and they offer a more silent and smooth ride all is good
Old 19th June 2023, 16:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. You can check the Run Flat Tyres thread on the forum. Few members are not happy with Pirellis. Also someone in my friend circle switched to Pirellis on his X1 and was quite unhappy. But as long as you are happy with your tyres and they offer a more silent and smooth ride all is good
Would've been good if you could've posted some links as well. But never mind. For every choice there will be folks who are unhappy with something or the others

My choice is done and I shall keep this forum updated if anything changes
Old 11th January 2024, 13:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Two days ago I changed from Conti SC to Pirelli P7's. Did a 300 km drive. Could notice a definite improvement in noise levels. More quieter than my 30k run Conti's

May I know where you've seen those "not so good" reviews about the Pirelli's? Unless you were looking at Low profile ones.

Thanks,
S
This is helpful to know. I have completed 5 years and need to get the tyres changed. Apart from Pirelli what are the other options? Also is it fine to get it done externally and not via BMW service centre? Additionally, I need some help with the denting/painiting job that I want to get done since I have completed 5 years. Nothing major. Can I also get it done externally?
Old 11th January 2024, 14:14   #10
BHPian

I have RFT Pirelli's in my X1 and they are very noisy. I am waiting for a while to get them changed to non run flats as I am anyway out of warranty now.
Old 11th January 2024, 16:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjSing View Post
This is helpful to know. I have completed 5 years and need to get the tyres changed. Apart from Pirelli what are the other options? Also is it fine to get it done externally and not via BMW service centre? Additionally, I need some help with the denting/painiting job that I want to get done since I have completed 5 years. Nothing major. Can I also get it done externally?
Oh yes sir, You can get the tyres changed outside. Look for a reputed dealer. Check for manufacturing date, make sure they are not palming off older stock to you and also ensure they have the modern WA/WB machines.

Same thing with the denting stuff, find a local paint shop, with references preferably. Folks from Mumbai will be able to guide you better (assuming you are in Mumbai)
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 16:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Oh yes sir, You can get the tyres changed outside. Look for a reputed dealer. Check for manufacturing date, make sure they are not palming off older stock to you and also ensure they have the modern WA/WB machines.

Same thing with the denting stuff, find a local paint shop, with references preferably. Folks from Mumbai will be able to guide you better (assuming you are in Mumbai)
Thank you. this is very very helpful. I do live in Mumbai (Powai) so folks from Mumbai, pls let me know if you have good references for the paint work.
Old 30th January 2024, 16:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjSing View Post
Thank you. this is very very helpful. I do live in Mumbai (Powai) so folks from Mumbai, pls let me know if you have good references for the paint work.
Hi All, I finally went for 255/50 ZR19 107W XL Vredestein Ultrac Vorti-i Tubeless. I have been using them for a couple of weeks now (city driving) and it has been a good experience so far. More smooth and far less noise. The handling is also better is what I feel.

For the dent and paint work, I have zeroed in on 3M. This is because I had got the paint protection film put on my X3 when I bought it 5 years back which I want to remove and once the dent and paint is done, I am contemplating to put a new version of film that they have come up with which is self healing () but expensive!
Old 10th February 2024, 02:42   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Installed the much touted and popular Michelin Pilot Sport All-Seasons 4 on my BMW X3M40i.

Brief Impressions on my ownership thread :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5716294 (2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership)

BMW X3 Tyre Dilemma-img_2229.jpg

BMW X3 Tyre Dilemma-img_2244.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks