Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2007, 23:50   #31
BHPian

LOL I am facing the same problem from yesterday, I bought new set of tyres for my WagonR.

Anyway ...

Quote:
Used tyres can be used in many different ways, here are just three.
  1. Used tyres for Retreading and Export
  2. Granulation for sports surfaces, children's play areas, equestrian applications and other uses
  3. Energy recovery for electricity and cement kilns
RMA - The Retread Manufacturers Association. Retreading is highly environmentally friendly and should be considered as the best practical environmental option for tyre recycling. Unlike other forms of tyre recycling or disposal, retreading does not simply defer the eventual disposal of the tyre, but actively contributes towards reducing the amount of tyres being used and hence saving valuable natural resources.

Every retread produced means one less new tyre, thereby minimising the number of new tyres produced annually, extending the life of the original product and saving substantially on resources such as oil - a passenger retread requires 4.5 gallons less oil than a new tyre. For a truck tyre this figure is 15 gallons.
The result is less tyres to be disposed of annually. At the end of their first, second or even third life retreaded tyres can then be used as a raw material for other forms of 'deferred disposal'. This is consistent with the Government's sustainable development policy.
Tyre Collection Services Ltd - A national waste tyre collection company.
TCS has been in the waste tyre collection business for over 16 years and currently processes more than 4 million waste tyres annually. Their entire operation is streamlined and co-ordinated from our head office in the West Midlands where the company provides a quick response to the ever increasing problem of used car, van, truck and agricultural casings.

Waste Tyre Solutions Ltd - Collection, recycling and disposal of tyres and automotive waste.
Also, you all should read this - Used tyres are the latest world menace

Also, did you know that India actually imports used tyres ! Here is a news article where [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Mr Singhania [/SIZE][/FONT]for ban on it
Old 10th August 2007, 23:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

What to say.. learn driftin???
Old 11th August 2007, 01:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
they are fed to the politicians.
what?

and some tires used up for name tags for tire shops thats like 5 a shop what happens to those million of cars that use up the tires giving out a crazy figure out 35,00,00,00,000 tires
what happens to these tires

i just thought of something if i sell all those tires for a rupee each i am a billionaire, so guys gimme me all your tires from tomorrow onwards
PM me for details!

@iWonder - do give me a call when you are free!
Old 14th August 2007, 19:02   #34
BHPian

Was surfing channels yesterday when I came upon a show on Australian Network about recycling used tyres. See Molectra Technologies

Quote:
As the world’s need for an effective waste tyre resource recovery solution increases, Molectra® has proven that it has the ultimate solution to the worldwide problem of how to process this problematic waste. The Molectra® technology offers this solution in a very efficient, highly profitable and environmentally attractive manner.

Stockpilesof waste tyres are an ever-increasing environmental concern togovernments and communities around the world. Approximately 1.2 billionwaste tyres are generated each year and only a fraction of this amountis currently recycled. The vast majority of this enormous waste stillends up in landfills or stockpiles.

Successful resource recovery in the 21st century requires 5 key features:

- ENERGY EFFICIENT TECHNOLOGY

- ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY

- USEFUL BY-PRODUCTS

- CAPTURED MARKET

- INNOVATIVE VALUE-ADDING PROCESSES

It is the long-term objective and commitment of Molectra® to meet these 5 requirements and to set a benchmark for future tyre resource recovery technologies.
Old 21st August 2007, 19:02   #35
BHPian

Reclaimed rubber

old tyres are used to make a rubber called reclaimed rubber

reclaimed rubber is manufactured by devulcanisation (uncuring) of tyres.

manufacture of reclaimed rubber is a cumbersome process which involves removal of wire beads and fabric.

the only rubber part is then de vulcanised using chemicals so that it can regain some of its plasticity.

reclaimed rubber is then used to manufacture low cost compounds to be used to make low cost rubber items.

reclaimed rubber has various grades depending on the virgin rubber used in making of tyres.

i know that this is technical but it just might answer the question, as to what happens to the used tyres.

Mansi
Old 21st August 2007, 20:12   #36
BHPian

Interesting thread.

1. A friend of mine exchanged used tyres with Big Bazar for 20% discount coupons

2. My neighbour has kept his tyres outside his place on road, giving feeling of puncture shop to entire lane

3. Me - I left it with bridgestone dealer free of cost. My tyres were in very decent condition, changed only because they crossed 55k kms. I had only 1 puncture in 5 years so tubes were also like new. Spare wheel was never ever used (seriously) but somehow developed a hole!

While repairing bike puncture when I mentioned this to two repairmen boys (almost 11 & 14 yr olds), they rued a missed opportunity of making atleast 700-800 Rs from taxi fellows. I wish I had donated to them.

I like this idea of using tyres in car parking area the best! Can also grow some plants in them!!
Old 27th September 2007, 13:55   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by megger View Post
Interesting thread.

1. A friend of mine exchanged used tyres with Big Bazar for 20% discount coupons
How many tyres and 20% of what purchase amount?
This is interesting.

And how to do this?

Just walk ino Big bazar with tyres and ask for coupens?
Old 27th September 2007, 15:06   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
The reason for my statement above is to highlight the good thing associated with disposing off a tyre thereby not posing a threat to the environment. In India, we still have a long way to go on that one. You and I can consider ourselves lucky if we were alive to witness that 'someday' you mentioned.
So true! I dont think we will ever see such responsible actions here in India.
Old 27th September 2007, 15:31   #39
BHPian

Some places where used-tyres are used
- laying of plastic roads (seen in metros)
- Retreading and reusing
- used in horse and motor racetracks. the fine cut pieces provides cushion and grip
- In villages for bullock carts wheels, as holder for earthen pots, half-cut for cusion on stone-slabs for chairs
- used as fuel by local mechanics to heat/clean Autorickshaw/scooter silencer
- children use moped tyres to play either as rolling on streets or as swing by tying it to tree
- lorry drivers use large tyres in sand piles in sand lorries to make fast bucks
- used on boats
- burnt
- scooter tubes used for swimming
Old 28th September 2007, 15:44   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
How many tyres and 20% of what purchase amount?
This is interesting.

And how to do this?

Just walk ino Big bazar with tyres and ask for coupens?
It is just a lure during the so called exchange melas where you trade in your junk for unrealistic prices. They buy tyres in Kgs and give you some 20% discount coupons (with *Conditions Apply) that you can use to get more junk home
megger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2007, 20:31   #41
BHPian

The most meaningful use of these tyres is that the children in villages and small cities ride them with a stick all over the place and stay happy.....so it is a very good toy for our generation-next........donate them to these children and spread happiness
Old 28th September 2007, 20:51   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
The most meaningful use of these tyres is that the children in villages and small cities ride them with a stick all over the place and stay happy.....so it is a very good toy for our generation-next........donate them to these children and spread happiness

Yes, I would be extremely happy to do that if I would be sure that they will not burn the rubber in the end...I just want to ensure that there is an environmentally friendly end to the ride...
Old 28th September 2007, 21:00   #43
BHPian

Kids running around with car tyres!! Will they be able to lift them, if yes, will they be able to lift themselves in case tyres fall upon them?? )
Old 28th September 2007, 23:18   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Yes, I would be extremely happy to do that if I would be sure that they will not burn the rubber in the end...I just want to ensure that there is an environmentally friendly end to the ride...
They can always keep passing them from one generation to other. Expect the tyres to run more than 40k kms unlike our cars! All is required is EDUCATION and AWARENESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by megger View Post
Kids running around with car tyres!! Will they be able to lift them, if yes, will they be able to lift themselves in case tyres fall upon them?? )
Oh ya!.......please keep the size restricted to sub 13 inchers only!

On a serious note now, used tyres in countries like Asia and Africa are being heavily landfilled which is an even bigger sin. Many governments are coming forward in restricting this dumping of waste tyres in ground.
Old 29th September 2007, 01:21   #45
BHPian

Countries in Asia and Africa I mean.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks