Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2023, 14:59   #1
BHPian

Tata Zest Tyre Replacement Advice

Hello members,

I'm planning to replace 185/60/R15 MRF tyres with 185/70/R14 for better comfort with larger side walls. In this process the overall tyre diameter will increase by just 2%, but there is a huge 15% increase in side wall. Please share your thoughts on my assumptions and weather the change in tyre size makes sense? In this process both steel rims and tyre need to be changed.

Tata Zest Tyre Replacement Advice-tyre_size.png

Assumptions,
  • Side wall increase improves the ride comfort
  • 2% increase in overall diameter is not going to impact any driving dynamics
  • Reducing the rim diameter from 15" to 14" will not impact the driving dynamics and safety
  • No issues with insurance claim incase if required

Looking forward your valuable feedbacks
Old 16th December 2023, 07:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest Tyre Replacement Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by efuture View Post
Reducing the rim diameter from 15" to 14" will not impact the driving dynamics and safety
It will increase body roll quite a bit IMO which will impact the handling and hence driving dynamics.

I would suggest to explore the following options too :
- 195/60 R15
- 185/65 R15

Make sure that they won't make contact when the car is loaded.
These are relatively milder changes and you can get significant increase in comfort and experience by choosing a better tyre like Vredestein, Michelin etc. as your budget permits.
I personally moved to MRF ZLX from Apollo 3Gs on the wagonR and the difference was unbelievable in comfort and noise reduction.

No idea on insurance impacts.

Last edited by shancz : 16th December 2023 at 07:50. Reason: added insurance
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 11:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm planning to replace 185/60/R15 MRF tyres with 185/70/R14 for better comfort with larger side walls.
Zest has a balanced suspension setup IMO. If you are not comfortable with it,
1. Make sure the dampers are good
2. How old / hard are your existing tyres? Change them with soft tyres. I would go with Consider 195/60R15 instead of 14"

Quote:
  • 2% increase in overall diameter is not going to impact any driving dynamics
  • Reducing the rim diameter from 15" to 14" will not impact the driving dynamics and safety
  • No issues with insurance claim incase if required
- Overall wheel-end stiffness matters more than 2% change in diameter. Stiffness will affect the dynamics
- Check Wheel disc to brake caliper clearance with balance weight & suspension linkages clearance during full turn
- On paper anything other OE spec for that particular VIN / variant will void warranty and insurance claim, but in most cases we get through claims
Mr.Boss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 15:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Stick to stock size go for Continental CC6 you will be amazed what a difference just the rubber can make without a change in tyre size
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 21:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Do not touch continental CC6. they are truly atrocious tyres. Horrible grip and unremarkable ride quality - that has been my personal experience. I feel Earth1 I had before were better. UC6 seems to have better reviews, and I haven't tried them, so no comment

The bolt which is on the same platform uses 175/65 R14 - I feel that would be a safer option

also. what tyres are you running now? a softer compound tyre will offer a good improvement in ride quality. My father in law upgraded to MRF perfinza for his honda city ZX which had 185/55 R15 tyres and it was a HUGE improvement in ride quality - it went from worse than my indica to better than my etios. Perfinza is available in 195/60 R15 - That is what I would try if I were you. They're even better than the UC6

Last edited by greenhorn : 17th December 2023 at 21:43.
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 21:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
It will increase body roll quite a bit IMO which will impact the handling and hence driving dynamics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Zest has a balanced suspension setup IMO. If you are not comfortable with it,
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Stick to stock size go for Continental CC6 you will be amazed what a difference just the rubber can make without a change in tyre size
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Do not touch continental CC6. they are truly atrocious tyres.
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm now thinking of going with same spec tyre from Yokohama, Bridgestone or Continental. Present tyre is 185/60 R15 MRF ZVTV which is close to 4 years old and ~50k+ km driven so far. Overall ODO is 102,000km so suspension also might need some care.

I'm not going to go with any variants of MRF as most of the reviews are not good interms of tyre noise at medium/high speeds.
efuture is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 07:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
tyre noise at medium/high speeds.
Michelin is also good but a bit more expensive than the rest and Vredestein is a new entrant which has got good reviews. Check for availability in your area.

You can also keep the upgrade sizes in mind as well since sometimes the upgrade size could turn out to be cheaper than the stock if its more popular.

Last edited by shancz : 21st December 2023 at 07:40. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 08:16   #8
BHPian

In My ZEST, 2015 model, received Bridgestone as stock, at the time of upgrade, chose to continue with same brand and configuration.
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 15:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not going to go with any variants of MRF as most of the reviews are not good interms of tyre noise at medium/high speeds.
While I agree that MOST MRF models are crap, but Perfinza are a totally different breed. In fact they were rated even above the continental UC6 which is otherwise the team bhp choice in this segment.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...nza-tyres.html (Review: MRF Perfinza Tyres)
I see only one complaint about noisy tyres - generally the feedback is very positive.

Last edited by greenhorn : 21st December 2023 at 15:18.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 16:53   #10
BHPian

The Zest already has a very compliant suspension with excellent ride quality over poor surfaces. Considering the mileage on the car, I think any loss in ride quality will be redeemed much more effectively by a suspension overhaul. I had the front suspension on my Tata Bolt done at about 75k kms. I'm already thinking of getting the rear suspension overhauled soon as well.

Further the increase in sidewall on an already soft suspension will only increase body roll and change the already average handling of the car for worse.

Regarding NVH from new tyres, I honestly think this will not help as the engines irrespective of the fuel type only gets vocal with age , effectively nullifying any benefits of quieter tyres. In fact despite regular maintenance at 8 years & 80k kms, my 1.2 Revotron makes quite a racket and is regularly confused for a diesel . Will bear it out till the car touches 10 years as its worth peanuts anyway .

Last edited by coldice4u : 21st December 2023 at 16:54.
coldice4u is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 11:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have 185/60/R15 Ceat SecuraDrives on my Tigor and have been pretty happy with the comfort and handling. Also, if you have crossed 100k do get the suspension looked at too.
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 17:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
I would suggest to explore the following options too :
- 195/60 R15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I would go with Consider 195/60R15 instead of 14"
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Perfinza is available in 195/60 R15 - That is what I would try if I were you.
+1 to 195/60 R15. I had changed to Continental UC6 195/60 R15 on my Zest XT RT. 2 years & 20,000 kms later, I couldn't be more happy. Mileage is almost the same & NVH & grip levels are class apart.
maverick.vkv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 19:29   #13
BHPian

Thank you all for your suggestions,

Replaced MRF 185/60/R15 tyres with Bridgestone sturdo 185/65/R15. Immediately I felt zero tyre noise. Considered Continental UC6 as well, but dropped it since the dealer told me that tyre rotation is not possible.

Thanks,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks