Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2007, 10:43   #31
BHPian

Tyres change

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Yes, it is better to change them once every 4 years is what I learnt.

The rubber becomes hard and probably thats the reason why the sidewall cracked? Or was it due to an accident?
Hi Gopz,
No accident I had just gone for a long trip from Pune to Mahad and had a rough trip through the ghat.I parked the car for the night.Next morning I see that the rear tyre is punctured and the wall has cracked.
I have been reading the hread about your tyre change -how is the current performance.Thanks
Fergus
Old 24th September 2007, 13:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

If the wall has cracked on one and all your tyres are all from the same batch (they have a datestamp), it doesn't take much to figure out the answer......
Yes, it would be prudent to go in for a new set.
And BTW, are you using tubeless? Do go in for tubeless at your next change.
Old 25th September 2007, 18:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
If the wall has cracked on one and all your tyres are all from the same batch (they have a datestamp), it doesn't take much to figure out the answer......
Yes, it would be prudent to go in for a new set.
And BTW, are you using tubeless? Do go in for tubeless at your next change.
The tyres are tubeless, but my rims are quite old so I am using tubes as per the tyrewala's suggestion.

@Fergus : the tyres offer much better ride quality and the bottom doesnt touch speed breakers now. Small potholes go unnoticed.

Last edited by gopz : 25th September 2007 at 18:23.
Old 25th September 2007, 19:20   #34
Team-BHP Support

gopz please dont use tubes inside your tubeless tyres. thats one of the most unsafe things you can do. instead buy new steel rims and use the tyres properly.
Old 25th September 2007, 20:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
gopz please dont use tubes inside your tubeless tyres. thats one of the most unsafe things you can do. instead buy new steel rims and use the tyres properly.

Oh really? This comes as a surprise to me...would it have caused any damage to the tyres already?

I will get the tubes removed asap. How much would the new rims cost, any idea?
Old 25th September 2007, 20:58   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Oh really? This comes as a surprise to me...would it have caused any damage to the tyres already?

I will get the tubes removed asap. How much would the new rims cost, any idea?
i dont think they will cause damage per se. but theyre made tubless so they can run without tubes. its a safety hazard putting tubes in them. read around and youll find info on this. i dont know how much new rims cost.
Old 25th September 2007, 20:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzzme View Post
In case of 145/80 R12 overall OD changes by 5.7% as compared to stock size. Please advise if it is OK.
In case of 145/80 R12 rolling resistance increases as compared to stock size FE will go down in this case, gopz please do share your experience regarding FE.
Switching over to 145/80 R12 will only improve ride comfort and nothing else.
No dude FE does not go down.On the contrary it increases.I have 145/80/R12s MRF ZVTS on my 800 since about 2 years now with 15000 km + on them.
Although the odo meter shows around 5.7 km less per 100 km and if i calulate the FE for long runs.I have done mumbai nasik shirdi and back/mahabaleshwar/lonavla/kashid/couple of lonavalas/pune and i have consitently got around 20 kmpl always with 100+speeds and AC 50% of the time.
Mileage on the contrary has increased a bit if i calulate taking into account the odo error of 6 km per 100 km and ride comfort has increased massively.The car does not transmit small undulations to the passengers and big ones are damped and mrfs have hard rubber as compared to turanzas so the comfort level will be even higher in the turanzas.
Pickup has decreased a tad but thats just getting used to.
Old 25th September 2007, 21:10   #38
BHPian

I got around 14kmpl with A/C on all the time, in Bangalore traffic. I calculated tank full to tank full. I havent tried on the highways yet, but looks like the mileage has definitely increased.
Old 27th September 2007, 20:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
i dont think they will cause damage per se. but theyre made tubless so they can run without tubes. its a safety hazard putting tubes in them. read around and youll find info on this. i dont know how much new rims cost.

New rims cost around 650 per piece. Should I really go in for it?

It is really such a big safety hazard using tubes in turanzas? The tyre dealer told me that it doesnt make any difference?
Old 27th September 2007, 21:08   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

It is really such a big safety hazard using tubes in turanzas? The tyre dealer told me that it doesnt make any difference?
im not sure about that. i read somewhere that its bad. i recommend you go for in new rims and use your tubless tyres without tubes since thats how they are meant to be used.
Old 27th September 2007, 21:31   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wheel alignment was free but he charged me for wheel balancing.
Really? Usually it's the other way around - good for you!

Quote:
Are your current rims damaged - deformed / rusted? If yes, then you'll be better off with new rims. If not, leave them on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz
Do you really need a tube in a tubeless tyre? A tubeless tyre is designed to operate without a tube - we're all aware of that. Adding a tube is only going to add to the weight and will probably cause balancing issues.

Consider this - your tubeless tyre, with a tube inside, is punctured. The tube inside punctures too, right? You still need to mend both the tube and the tyre. Added cost - why?
If you decide to get rid of the tube and just mend the tyre - now, you have 3 tyres with tubes and 1 without. Balancing / alignment issues again.

If you really prefer tubes inside your tyres, why not save a few hundred rupees and buy regular tubed tyres.
Old 27th September 2007, 22:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Really? Usually it's the other way around - good for you!
In Delhi, most of the chaps charge for balancing but not necessarily for alignment. In fact, they ALWAYS charge for the weights they add to the tyres.

If you are fitting tubes in tubeless (quite uncalled for) you do not need to fix the tyre after a puncture; just the tube will do.

Safety is always MORE with tubeless tyres.

Last edited by anupmathur : 27th September 2007 at 22:25.
Old 6th October 2007, 14:52   #43
BHPian

Removed the tubes from the Turanzas. Now I upgraded my other M800 to 145/80 as well!!! Im pretty satisfied
Old 6th October 2007, 16:08   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Removed the tubes from the Turanzas. Now I upgraded my other M800 to 145/80 as well!!! Im pretty satisfied
good. is there any ride improvement after removing the tubes?
Old 6th October 2007, 16:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

I heard we should not use Tubes in Tubeless tyres. Tyre walla told me If tubeless tyre is damaged and if we want to use that tyre for sometime then put tube inside and use it but he also told me it won't makes sense and lead to accident in some cases.

Regards,

Ravi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks