Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2007, 13:55   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Tire valve caps

Somebody is always stealing tire valve caps on my cars. Does it happen to everybody?

Anyways today I asked my driver to pick up few spare valve caps from a tire shop. He tells me it is better not to have the valve caps. He says the air will be let off when excessive pressure gets built up which will save the tire from bursting! I didn't laugh if off because he is quite knowledgeable with cars. What do you guys think?

Last edited by androdev : 18th October 2007 at 13:56.
Old 18th October 2007, 14:01   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Somebody is always stealing tire valve caps on my cars. Does it happen to everybody?
yes. it does

Quote:
Anyways today I asked my driver to pick up few spare valve caps from a tire shop. He tells me it is better not to have the valve caps. He says the air will be let off when excessive pressure gets built up which will save the tire from bursting! I didn't laugh if off as he knows a thing or two about cars. What do you guys think?
am pretty sure the job of the non-return valve is not to let out excess pressure. anyone else on this quite an important trivia?
Old 18th October 2007, 14:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
He says the air will be let off when excessive pressure gets built up which will save the tire from bursting!
If thats the case, when we fill 2-3 psi more, the valve will rectify the pressure.

I lost 2 of my valve caps and I am pretty sure the chap who fills air at the bunk flicked that. When I wash my car, I wash the tyres throughly and tighen these caps every time, so no other reason to lose them.
Old 18th October 2007, 14:17   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
If thats the case, when we fill 2-3 psi more, the valve will rectify the pressure.
More like when there is a sudden buildup of pressure while driving at high speeds and going over a rough patch? More technically: Is this valve truly a no-return valve or it allows return beyond certain pressure - say 50psi.

Quote:
I lost 2 of my valve caps and I am pretty sure the chap who fills air at the bunk flicked that.
I also suspect the same.
Old 18th October 2007, 14:51   #5
BHPian

i doubt weather the bunk guys flick it,yeah but in a hurry or pure laziness they remove it and just leave it there have seen it happen so make it a point to get down and check when air is filled
Old 18th October 2007, 14:52   #6
BHPian

its a common thing to loose valve caps, i lost metal caps when i parked my car in a temple parking place.. after that i stick to plastic caps..
Old 18th October 2007, 15:13   #7
BANNED

I too lost my valve caps. It so happened to me that these bunk guys didn't fix it properly after filling the air.They even bent the pin inside the valve purely due to thier hurry in sending off customers fast.

After bending the pin, it's not possible to even fill air next time.
Old 19th October 2007, 15:24   #8
BHPian

All that saying that the bunk guys snap the caps after filling air. Why would they do it? What use would they have of the cap?
Old 19th October 2007, 15:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
All that saying that the bunk guys snap the caps after filling air. Why would they do it? What use would they have of the cap?

after they take the cap they sell it of to other motorist

the black one is for 5 bucks and the chrome wala is for 10 bucks
Old 19th October 2007, 23:46   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He says the air will be let off when excessive pressure gets built up which will save the tire from bursting!
No way.
Infact, if you think about it, the questionable advantage would be that if you have a leaky valve, the valve-cap will slow the rate of pressure drop

Quote:
More technically: Is this valve truly a no-return valve or it allows return beyond certain pressure - say 50psi.
Truly a no-return.
Infact, if i am correct about the way a schrader valve works, the higher the pressure - the tighter the valve seal.

cya
R
Old 20th October 2007, 14:43   #11
BHPian

Coincidentally, I had a tyre filling guy try to solicit me to buy brass caps just yesterday! All my tyres were 29 PSI, while they should be 32, and according to him, it was because I had plastic caps and not brass ones. I ignored the guy as I have come across such chaps before, and I can confirm what manikjeet is saying. They sell the plastic ones for Rs. 5. And I am next to certain that they get these caps in the first place by stealing them, because I too have noticed them missing once after I filled petrol + air.
Old 20th October 2007, 14:54   #12
k36
BHPian

Can somebody explain the potential damage in the absence of valve caps for extended period? As I understand the caps prevent dust. But is dust the only reason? and is it really harmful?
Old 20th October 2007, 15:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Absolute myth!
What is excessive pressure?
Do you think that the valve in the stem come with a pressure rating? - How would it know at what pressure to release some air?

Regarding the metal caps- the only way to prevent petty theft is to tighten it with a spanner /plier.

Rgds
Old 20th October 2007, 16:18   #14
BHPian

The only downside of not having tube valve caps is that you'll get dust / dirt filled up inside the stem.Since it's made of brass water would not do much of damage,besides the lack of lustre. Gerardfdz you're right about tightening metal valves with a plier. Guy's I'm really surprised that you pay 5/pc for the caps. I suggest those of you who do like to always have the valve caps on to go to any shop that sells puncture repair and sundry items in bulk / retail and pick up a packet of these. I buy a pack of 100 caps for 30 odd bucks if i remember well.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2008, 10:15   #15
BHPian

Victimized today at the HP Pump in Goregaon, Off Western Express. The chap filling air flicked one tire valve. Cursing myself for not getting down and checking.

Thanks for the tip WasavaTyres. Will buy a pack of 'em asap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks