Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2007, 10:16   #1
BHPian

Fiesta - Tyre mod - suggestion required

Hi folks, I have been going through some difficult times with my tires. My car has clocked 40k kms. 2 tires are 40k old and 2 are 20k old. After the 40k service I am not very happy with the wheel balancing and alignment.

There is some pulling towards left side on flat roads. I can see the steering wheel shaking and wobbling left and right beyond speeds of 80km. I had taken the car to ford again to check the alignment. They had done it from a third party. I visited the place twice and they just turned the inside/outside of the RF tire.

After that the pulling wasn't noticeable much but as the traffic increased in the city I couldnt test it properly. After testing it in the ECR highway in the evening I found this pulling and wobbling again. So on Sunday I had taken the car to MRF tyredrome in Chennai.

After they did some work on the tires today morning I checked again. They had swapped the RF and LR tires. But now the pulling is still there and very much noticeable during deceleration and a new noise has been introduced. The noise is like that of a motor running. This kind of noise was there during my 20k service which was explained because of the uneven treads in the front tires!

Now am very puzzled whether the tires are really good anymore. Please give your suggestions. If I have to change the tires what tires should I get. Michelin (PP/PP2/XM1?) or Bridgestones or just the same MRF ones? I would not like to go for full performance tires. Normal ones with better grip and life are sufficient.

I was planning to go on a long drive (450kms one way) to my native (Madurai) this Wednesday. Is it advisable to travel that long immediately after a tire change? Please advise.

Any information on reliable tire dealers in Chennai for the suggested brands are welcome.

Thanks.
Old 19th November 2007, 12:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
My car has clocked 40k kms. 2 tires are 40k old and 2 are 20k old.
Where are the 40k and 20k tyres put up in the car...? Are they mixed up or one pair is in the front and the other in the rear...?
Old 19th November 2007, 13:57   #3
BHPian

After the service the 20k tires were both in the front. After visiting MRF tyredrome the FR was moved to RL. So on the left side both new tires are there and on the right both older tires are there now.
Old 19th November 2007, 14:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After the service the 20k tires were both in the front. After visiting MRF tyredrome the FR was moved to RL. So on the left side both new tires are there and on the right both older tires are there now.
Thats not good. Equally worn out tyres should be put either in front or the rear. It should not be put on one side..

Are u facing this left side pulling issue since your accident?
Old 19th November 2007, 15:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Thats not good. Equally worn out tyres should be put either in front or the rear. It should not be put on one side..

Are u facing this left side pulling issue since your accident?

Noooooo! The car was a gem before the 40k service wheel balancing! Though I had some alignment related issues after the accident repair they were fixed by one wheel balancing by the bridgestone dealer nearby the service center.
Old 19th November 2007, 15:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Noooooo! The car was a gem before the 40k service wheel balancing! Though I had some alignment related issues after the accident repair they were fixed by one wheel balancing by the bridgestone dealer nearby the service center.
Please try to get the balancing done from the same bridgestone dealer once.
Put the 40k tyres in front and 20k tyres in the rear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks