Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 18:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: PCD Conversion: How Safe and Availability

My replies in bold. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tej Khokhar View Post
Hi Vikram,

I a, trying to get such a adapter plate made for my conti 120/5 PCD to 114.3/5 PCD. Since you have tried it out and got it done in Bangalore with good results, could you help me with the following details:

1. what material needs to be used? - We used stainless steel to make them

2. these must be hub-centric, right? - Yes

3. where can i get these fabricated and the cost for them as well? - They were machined out of a solid block of stainless steel. I didnt bother to work out the costing because they were for a very close friend and the work was carried out in my factory.

3. were you able to do high speed driving in the friend's car without experiencing any wobble, noises from the wheels ?? - Initially we did notice some wobble at high speeds. But then, I got them dynamically balanced and this solved the problem. Dynamic balancing is similar to wheel balancing except that it was done to only the spacers independently of the wheel. Weights were either added or removed as needed.

Thanks, Tej

Would appreciate a little guidance on the same.
vikram_d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 18:55   #17
BHPian

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Quite interesting! didn't know that it was possible to balance the spacers too !!

So the design that you made was similar to the ones which are available online eg: ichiba.com etc.

1. where the adapter place is first bolted using lug nuts (flush heads with the adapter) to the hub. And the wheel placed on the adapter plate's hub center and then lug nuts will be used to torque the wheel into place.

2. or were the new PCD studs already fixed to the adapter plate and then nuts were used to tighten the wheel in place.

Also, how is the dynamic balancing carrier out for metal parts like adapters - i mean, how will you 'add' or remove weights from a steel disc!? sticker weights? and where is it done in Bangalore ?

would you be able to guide me to a competent machine shop in Bangalore which can carry out the work that is needed.

Thanks.
Old 4th May 2011, 19:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Again replies in bold.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply!!

Quite interesting! didn't know that it was possible to balance the spacers too !!

So the design that you made was similar to the ones which are available online eg: ichiba.com etc.

1. where the adapter place is first bolted using lug nuts (flush heads with the adapter) to the hub. And the wheel placed on the adapter plate's hub center and then lug nuts will be used to torque the wheel into place.

2. or were the new PCD studs already fixed to the adapter plate and then nuts were used to tighten the wheel in place. - We made the spacer exactly how it is shown in the picture in the first post. Standard studs were fixed to the spacer and the wheel mounted with nuts.

Also, how is the dynamic balancing carrier out for metal parts like adapters - i mean, how will you 'add' or remove weights from a steel disc!? sticker weights? and where is it done in Bangalore ? - Dynamic balancing can be done for any rotating industrial component. The addition of weight used to be done by welding small spots, but this practice has been discontinued now as it was not asthetically good to look at. Now they only remove weight by drilling small holes (more pecking than drilling completely actually). For example if weight needs to be added on point A on a spacer what they do is mark that spot and then remove equal weight from the exact opposite side. They have a chart which they use as reference. This chart basically states that to remove a particular amount of weight what diameter hole should be drilled and how deep that hole/peck should be.

would you be able to guide me to a competent machine shop in Bangalore which can carry out the work that is needed. - Any machine shop with a decent lathe can make the spacers for you. Once you get the spacers made then let me know I will PM you the address of the person who does this balancing. Ensure to make the spacer exactly as shown in the picture in the first post and make sure that the weight of the wheels is not being taken by the studs but by the central hub of the spacer.

Thanks.
vikram_d is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 19:25   #19
BHPian

Appreciate the detailed and patient replies !!

thank you!

will update once i get the basic setup worked on.

best regards/ Tej

Just one more doubt !!

what will be the thickness of the spacers ( considering the weight of the car is 1290 kgs, hence , each wheel will need to support about 350-400 kgs static). and also , the wheel studs will need to be screwed into the same.

what thickness would you reccommend - will a 20mm width work or should i go for 25 mm to be on the safe side?

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th May 2011 at 19:39. Reason: Back to back post, please use EDIT once the posts are approved. Thank
Old 4th May 2011, 19:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

20mm will work. But you will also have to keep in mind the thickness of the nuts that you are going to use to bolt the spacer onto the OEM hub. The nut will have to sit flush (a little inside is preferred) with the outer face of the spacer else it will foul with the wheel. You will have to check all the parameters and then take a call on the thickness. Anything from 20 - 25mm will work. Anything lower than 20 might not be stong enough. Anything above 25mm will be heavy and overkill. So calculate with care.

Quote:
Appreciate the detailed and patient replies !!

thank you!

will update once i get the basic setup worked on.

best regards/ Tej

Just one more doubt !!

what will be the thickness of the spacers ( considering the weight of the car is 1290 kgs, hence , each wheel will need to support about 350-400 kgs static). and also , the wheel studs will need to be screwed into the same.

what thickness would you reccommend - will a 20mm width work or should i go for 25 mm to be on the safe side?
vikram_d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 18:04   #21
BHPian

Hey, I'm looking to sell my swift, hence was wanting to transfer my rims to my SX4, but i just noticed that the SX4 has a 5 bolt hub! even though my alloy is dual pcd 100/ 114.3 i thought all i needed was a set of ANHC rims to put on to my swift on the existing 195/55 R15 tyres and put these on the SX4 with stock tyres as of now.
The custom made pcd converters seem rather worthless (in terms of time and money) to go through with.
are any spacers available that i could directly bolt on? or should i just sell my rims with my car?
Old 28th June 2011, 10:14   #22
BHPian

Wobble bolt / nut

Hi guys,
Have some one ever tried a wobble nut for PCD conversion with in 1 or 2 mm. Ex: 100 PCD on Fiat 98 mm PCD.

For reference on a wobble nut or bolt.
Variable Bolt and Nut
SERPENT AUTOSPORT Accessories

Though I havent tried one myself, this should be easy to get fabricated from a lathe shop.
Old 5th September 2011, 23:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Variable Bolt and Nut

Any availability of the same here in India ????
Old 6th September 2011, 13:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Variable Bolt and Nut

Any availability of the same here in India ????
You will have to get it made or import it. I have never seen them being readily available.
Old 2nd October 2011, 03:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Got them made. The bolt is 12.9 High Tensile Grade. Took a 1/2 inch thread 3 1/2 inch long allen bolt and machined it to make it a M14 - 1.5 pitch to match it with the car thread. And made the washer with Stainless Steel 304 grade. Just install the rims on my car !!!! Pic of the bolts and washers

PCD Conversion: How Safe and Availability-313408_2247410599121_1663860663_2141230_1281794687_n.jpg
low_bass_makker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 08:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Got them made. The bolt is 12.9 High Tensile Grade. Took a 1/2 inch thread 3 1/2 inch long allen bolt and machined it to make it a M14 - 1.5 pitch to match it with the car thread. And made the washer with Stainless Steel 304 grade. Just install the rims on my car !!!! Pic of the bolts and washers

Attachment 819552
Hi,
I just procured a set of 5 alloys for my 118NE. Since they are all of 100 PCD andmy NE has got PCD measuring 98 mm, I am in the same lines of getting the variable washer fabricated. Fetching bolts would not be a big deal as there are lot of industrial fastener suppliers who stock almost all sorts of bolts, nuts, rivets, etc. Thanks for the inputs on the material used. A drawing of the washers would be of great help to me and timely too. Could you please email me or post it directly in this forum.
Thanks again.
Regards,
Ilango
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Ya sure !!!! Do ask if in doubt !!!

PCD Conversion: How Safe and Availability-washer.jpg
low_bass_makker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Ya sure !!!! Do ask if in doubt !!!

Attachment 820104
Thanks for the drawing dude. How much did it cost for getting the washers machined (Material + machining). BTW why did you have to down-size an inch size bolt to metric? Wont machining the thread reduce the strength of the thread. Hope you gave a try at any of the industrial hardware shops (not the regular hardware shop).
Old 4th October 2011, 12:14   #29
BHPian

[quote=low_bass_makker;2528849]Got them made. The bolt is 12.9 High Tensile Grade. Took a 1/2 inch thread 3 1/2 inch long allen bolt and machined it to make it a M14 - 1.5 pitch to match it with the car thread. And made the washer with Stainless Steel 304 grade. Just install the rims on my car !!!! Pic of the bolts and washersquote]
Dude, please do post pictures of your car's new rims fitted with the variable washer and bolts. BTW please mention the details of your vehicle and the rim that you will be putting in.
-Ilango
Old 4th October 2011, 16:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Dude, please do post pictures of your car's new rims fitted with the variable washer and bolts. BTW please mention the details of your vehicle and the rim that you will be putting in.
-Ilango
Sure will do in a bit. The rims were 114 pcd 5 nut and the vehicle is laura with 112 pcd hub.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks