Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2008, 16:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
BMW has an issue as they fit Run Flat Tyres as stnadard fitment & object to people replacing them with Non-RFT's. Here the case is different as Audi does not fit RFT's on the A4.

Plus, all he's doing is increasing the width while keeping the OD within tolerances so I don't see a problem with that. All my cars have upsized tyres & since it's a reasonable & calculated upsize none of the companies have ever had any problems with that. But then, I've never owned an expensive car either!!

I am being careful on the OD - as you said in that case it should not pose a problem.

By the wayto answer your question on another post - the rim width is 6.5" or more not very sure. But the 225's can sit on 6-8 inch rims

Thanks

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 7th February 2008 at 16:37.
Old 7th February 2008, 16:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
+1. You already have the right size + brand of tyres. No sense in upgrading.

Appreciate your point, but as I said the wheel wells look kind of empty from certain angles, and you would agree that the car looks better with a filled in wheel well & wider rubber - without going over the top

Thanks
Old 8th February 2008, 11:23   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for it - 225/50R16 seems to be a good option but like i said before go for the S-line alloys while you are at it ! 225/50R 17 !
Old 8th February 2008, 11:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
My only concern is they may not scrape.
You want the tyres to scrape??
Old 8th February 2008, 20:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Appreciate your point, but as I said the wheel wells look kind of empty from certain angles, and you would agree that the car looks better with a filled in wheel well & wider rubber - without going over the top

Thanks
225/50 R16 is a very good fit.
You are looking for a comfort oriented rubber or performance oriented.
Old 9th February 2008, 10:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

@ Sahil

Like I said there are no different alloys available here for the S-Line Package. I have checked with the dealer. The only Alloys that come with the A4 are the ones I have, and those are pretty good. So I don't want to change the OE alloys.

The upsize is perfect in terms of OD.

Cheers
Old 9th February 2008, 10:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_hard View Post
You want the tyres to scrape??
C'mon Rev-hard. DO NOT want them to scrape.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 9th February 2008 at 10:51.
Old 9th February 2008, 14:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzzme View Post
225/50 R16 is a very good fit.
You are looking for a comfort oriented rubber or performance oriented.

Ideally a mix of both - handling & ride quality. The car has humungous amount of torque so I have no concern with the width. It can easily ride 225's - plus the added bonus on the looks department. The present 205's tend to wheelspin if pushed hard on Sport Mode.

Any suggestions on particular brands & patterns ??

thanks
Old 9th February 2008, 14:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Iraghava, do you think I a mere mortal can deign to disagree with you on of all things tyres and upsizing. For me its very simple when it comes to tyres, Iraghava says, I do.
Raul - Thanks for the kind words I appreciate them! But, I'm a mere mortal too & no one is above mistakes which I make quite frequently & am rightly corrected by other alert members. So, we are all on the same page & no one is more equal than the other.

As for Ricky uncle, have fun with the upsize & do post some pics for us when you do it!

P.S. Only options are Yoko ES501 (Comfort) or Michelin PP2 (Sport).

Last edited by iraghava : 9th February 2008 at 14:26.
Old 9th February 2008, 14:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As for Ricky uncle, have fun with the upsize & do post some pics for us when you do it!

P.S. Only options are Yoko ES501 (Comfort) or Michelin PP2 (Sport).

Thank you Ishaan BETA, your advice is appreciated. I shall certainly POSHT pictures as & when I change my tyres. Any ideas on the prices ??

Warm Rgds

Ricky UNCLE
Old 10th February 2008, 21:19   #26

Dear Ricky_ 63.

A perfect replacement for 205/55R 16 can be 215/50R 16 or 215/55R 16 Do not reduce the load index and the speed code of the tyres. You have to keep the overall diameter of the tyres i.e. rolling circumference and the height of the tyres same as of the OE fitted tyres. In case you fit 225/50R 16 than your cars clearance height will reduce. and there are chances that the sidewall of the tyres will get damaged. Do not compromise on the brand of tyres that you fit on Audi as only approved tyres are to be used for such high performance cars.

Normally all the 5 tyres cost should be app. 2 - 3 % the cost of the new vehicle. If you find any tyre cheaper that this it means that the tyre is not as per the specification of the car. Try Pirelli tyres as they have one of the largest range of car tyres in India.
Old 11th February 2008, 10:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay_delhi View Post
Dear Ricky_ 63.

A perfect replacement for 205/55R 16 can be 215/50R 16 or 215/55R 16 Do not reduce the load index and the speed code of the tyres. You have to keep the overall diameter of the tyres i.e. rolling circumference and the height of the tyres same as of the OE fitted tyres. In case you fit 225/50R 16 than your cars clearance height will reduce. and there are chances that the sidewall of the tyres will get damaged. Do not compromise on the brand of tyres that you fit on Audi as only approved tyres are to be used for such high performance cars.

Normally all the 5 tyres cost should be app. 2 - 3 % the cost of the new vehicle. If you find any tyre cheaper that this it means that the tyre is not as per the specification of the car. Try Pirelli tyres as they have one of the largest range of car tyres in India.

Thanks for the advice. The overall diameter in 225/50/16 is almost the same as the OE tyres. The differential is only 0.09% which is negligible. I am looking only at Yokohama or Michellin to replace my OE tyres, so I am not compromising on tyre quality.

The main reason I wish to upsize is that I find the wheel wells a bit "empty" & would look much nicer with wider tyres. Otherwise I have no issues with the OE tyres per se.

Cheers
Old 14th February 2008, 18:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

How is the Bridgestone Potenza ?? Anyone used those ? If yes what may the price be ?

Looking for 225/50/16's in
Yokohama
Michelin
Bridgestone
Perelli (spelling? :-)

Any ideas about prices / performance / road grip ?

Would appreciate feedback

Thanks & Cheers
Old 14th February 2008, 18:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

^^Potenzas are probably way worse than what you currently have. Stick to mich or yoko.
Old 15th February 2008, 04:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the Bridgestone Potenza ?? Anyone used those ? If yes what may the price be ?
Quite passable actually.

Quote:
Looking for 225/50/16's in
Yokohama
Michelin
Bridgestone
Perelli (spelling? :-) "Pirelli"
Quote:
Only options are Yoko ES501 (Comfort) or Michelin PP2 (Sport).
These are your only options with B&W. You could also get some grey stuff but don't know what's available in the market these days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks