Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2008, 16:18   #16
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
rks: I don't agree with the statement that low pressure causes tire burst but a higher tire pressure will certainly cause a burst if its too high
As tsk1979 pointed out, low tyre pressures are the culprit.

As for excessive pressures causing tyre bursts, the question is how much is too much. I met a Michelin tyre dealer who swore that tubeless Michelin XM1 tyres will only burst if pressure exceeds 300 psi, even though they may have 44 psi marked on them as max. pressure. There is usually substantial over-design for obvious reasons and it is a myth that tyres will burst due to high pressure at the kind of pressures we run. Howerver, it is not advisable to run too high tyre pressures for other reasons: bad ride and poor braking handling on bad/wet roads, possibility of impact damage on stones/kerbs, uneven tyre wear, etc.

Secondly, tubes in tubed tyres may fail at lower pressures, though I suspect not anywhere close to 35-40 psi (I know this because one road side puncture repair guy inflated by spare tubed S322 tyre to 60 psi, and I didn't notice that for about a week).

Last edited by rks : 11th February 2008 at 16:20.
Old 11th February 2008, 16:54   #17
BHPian

The very reason of going for tubeless tyres is so that the air leaks slowly in case of a impact and that the tyre does not burst immediately. Looks like that has not happenned here. Impact from the road can be in various shapes and even at 35kmph, a pothole is enough to cause a rim bend if pressures are low. Once the rim is bent, it obviously causes more airloss.

I would suggest (like others in this thread) to keep a watch on the tyre pressures (buy a guage if possible) and fill up when the tyre is cold. Also do fill up a PSI more so that helps in preventing rim bends (will also make the ride harsher - but lets first get to the root of the problem).

Is it one particular wheel that is getting bent every time? May be the rim-bend was not removed properly due to which there is airloss. Everything points to first monitoring the pressures (preferably cold tyre pressures) and ruling them out as the cause.
Old 11th February 2008, 17:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I think the stock tyres are the culprit, change over to Michelins asap!
Can this be done under warranty?
just curious to know, may be he can reduce the costs incurred.

raj.
Old 11th February 2008, 17:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Can this be done under warranty?
just curious to know, may be he can reduce the costs incurred.

raj.
Not sure if tyres come under warranty, but even if it does, they'll replace it with those crappy Bridgestone tyres, better to shell out some bucks & get a Michelin XM1 or something.
Old 11th February 2008, 17:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

tyres do come with waranty of one year.you can easily get them replaced.but the question is are they the culprit.maybe the first puncture was a genuine one and then after the rims got bend maybe that has something to do with the subsequent ones.please check it with the spare rim.
ram
Old 11th February 2008, 17:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
tyres do come with waranty of one year.you can easily get them replaced.but the question is are they the culprit.maybe the first puncture was a genuine one and then after the rims got bend maybe that has something to do with the subsequent ones.please check it with the spare rim.
ram
Then i guess the rims should also be changed under warranty. isnt it?
Old 11th February 2008, 17:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Tanveer & Alfa Kilo but I doubt anyone who fills up regularly will have such a low pressure to have the tires burst specially in city driving condition. & anyone going on highway should ensure that the air pressure is just right.
Old 11th February 2008, 19:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
rks: I don't agree with the statement that low pressure causes tire burst but a higher tire pressure will certainly cause a burst if its too high
Since at low pressure, the tyre side wall flex more. At high speed the rate of flexibity is so high the heat generated will get accumalted and can cause tyre burst.

Hence the reco. for higher pressure before highspeed long drive.

regards,
-manju
Old 11th February 2008, 19:52   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Does your i10 have Bridgestone B250 or MRF ZEC..?
Kp, you think the bead shape has anything to do with this. I remember the i10 had 4B or 4.5B and not the standard J shape.

A tyre burst as in the tyre coming of the rim or getting a hole?
Old 12th February 2008, 15:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Kp, you think the bead shape has anything to do with this. I remember the i10 had 4B or 4.5B and not the standard J shape.

I too believe there is something with the shape. Otherwise, there is no apparent reason for it to happen this way.
Old 12th February 2008, 15:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

Vid

I'm not sure about it but i have heard some tire burst accidents in i10 with B250 which made hyundai to add MRFs also for their i10s.
I have driven i10 with both B250 and ZEC. Both tyres were pretty good in my experience.
Old 18th February 2008, 19:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Learnt just a while ago that the front left wheel of an i10 has caught fire today noon in my home town, Varkala; it happened at the busiest junction of the town. No one is hurt in the incident.

No further (tech) details are available as of now; I will keep you guys posted.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 18th February 2008 at 19:42.
Old 18th February 2008, 22:06   #28
BHPian

hi
i seriously think u should talk to ur dealer and caN ALSO talk to the authorised tyre companies for this defect other wise it will be difficult for ur BIL to drive for long.
Old 18th February 2008, 23:11   #29
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Learnt just a while ago that the front left wheel of an i10 has caught fire today noon in my home town, Varkala; it happened at the busiest junction of the town. No one is hurt in the incident.
Possibly there is some flaw in the stock tyres/wheels. Or else we are seeing the difficulties associated with supplying tubeless tyres as stock. These do require more care and many people may not be sufficiently aware.
Old 18th February 2008, 23:55   #30
Team-BHP Support

Tyres bursting at low speeds causing accidents, tires catching fire... I suspect foreign hand

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks