Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2008, 00:12   #1
BHPian

New Tyres/Alloy wheel for Ikon Flair 2003

Hi guys,
Have been reading this forum for sometime (Around a week) , especially the alloy wheel section. Now I have decided to go for a new set of tyres and if possible alloys also. But quite flabbergasted with the plethora of options available in front of me and some worrying points which if cleared would be of great help.

Now with Ikon, stock size is 170/75/R13. I am not sure if its a 5 or 5.5J wheel.
Clarification is needed here. While skimming through one of the threads I came across Bridgestone potenza link and this is what they say for Ikon Flair.

Size 195/60R13 84H
Pattern Name Bridgestone GIII
Model Name FORD Ikon Flair

I am a bit confused here as in, will I get all the stability and comfort that I am looking for with a stock 13 inch tyre and stock wheel/alloy? If this is the case then why everyone is going for 14" and 15". If the above suggestion from Bridgestone is good then I would proceed with the tyre change and may be after sometime get a 13 inch alloy to replace the stock wheels.

Does anyone know the wheel offset of Ford Ikon Flair 2003 model as this info will help me choosing the right set of alloys without affecting the suspension or handling.

Btw, came across one of the worst customer service I have seen ever. I am located at Bangalore and the place is sproket, Koramangala. I have been there to enquire and if possible buy a set of alloys (yes, even with all these doubts in my head) and the sales personnels behavior there was simply unacceptable. Thinking of going to Hottracks at Residency even if they are a bit far for me. The guy there (Anil, whose contact I got via teambhp, is much better compared to the sprocket one, any day, I spoke to him over phone and he was very courteous even giving out the entire list of HR alloys they had in stock with the prices. His quote is 15.5k (full price without any exchange offs) for any HR models.

Waiting for your inputs to proceed further.

Mod's Note: Do not post the same thread multiple times. Duplicate thread deleted.
Old 28th March 2008, 22:13   #2
BHPian

Can anybody help me with this one. Anyone ?
Old 28th March 2008, 22:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Stock tyre size is 175/70-13 and the rims are 5j.

With 195/60-13 there is every chance of the tyre scrapping against the wheel wells.

I would suggest u to stick with the stock size or upsize to 185/60-14 tyres.
Old 28th March 2008, 23:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Stock tyre size is 175/70-13 and the rims are 5j.

With 195/60-13 there is every chance of the tyre scrapping against the wheel wells.

I would suggest u to stick with the stock size or upsize to 185/60-14 tyres.

Does this mean that I cannot go wider, say 195mm, with a 14 inch wheel without further modification so as to not touch the wheel wells ?
Old 29th March 2008, 00:20   #5
BHPian

Got some interesting info to share as it would be helpful for all the future alloy buyers who owns a Ikon Flair 1.3

After quite a bit of search finally I was able to get the alloy specification for ford ikon. Hope this is correct :-).
---------------------------------------------
Model no: H 109
Size: 14"
Width: 6.0
PCD: 108
Holes: 4H
ET: 38
---------------------------------------------------

So this confirms that the offset for Ford Ikon Flair 1.3 is
"38" and a 4 holed version would work great.

Got this info from,
Ford Alloy Wheels,Honda Crv Wheels,Mercedes Alloy Wheels,Civic Alloy Wheels,Supplier
Old 29th March 2008, 01:21   #6
BHPian

Have been able to short list a few options based on choice and availability here in Bangalore. Have contacted sai mag also to enquire on the buying options if I have to sit here and order. Here goes the shortlisted ones,
Choice 1
Choice 2

Do give your comments as in which one looks good to your eyes and would look good once fitted on a ford ikon flair. Thanks once again for reading and replying.

.Thanks kpzen for your advise.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th March 2008 at 01:37.
Old 29th March 2008, 01:41   #7
BHPian

@kpzen, will 185/60R13 goodyear ventura do good instead of going for an alloy change. When should I go to R14 ? Is it that larger rim will give a lower profile when you keep the entire tyre height the same ? Will going larger R14 will increase the wheel well scrapping problem ?

I am a bit confused here, why everyone is going for higher rim sizes while tyre manufacturers are providing tyres of various profiles (sidewall heights) for the same stock rim size. In my case R13 and good year provides 185/60/R13.

@Technocrat, will add the future posts as per the guideline of 15mins single post. Thanks

A good link which answers the above question of why R14 is needed
But someone knowledgeable has to certify.

Last edited by vroom77 : 29th March 2008 at 01:53. Reason: Replying for Technocrat's comment on posting rules
Old 29th March 2008, 02:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom77 View Post
Have been able to short list a few options based on choice and availability here in Bangalore. Have contacted sai mag also to enquire on the buying options if I have to sit here and order. Here goes the shortlisted ones,
Choice 1
Choice 2
Out of these two, I loved the second one. Its simple, elegent and nice.
Here are my choice from the lot
Choice1
Choice2
(I like five spokes ones )
From my limited knowledge - the aim is to keep the overall diameter and circumference same or as close to OE. So when you are going for a higher rim size, the profile should go lower to adjust it. So, there won't be a problem of scrapping due to it. But increasing the tyre width overly and incorrect offset will make issues.

There are some pros and cons for going for a higher rim size. These are discussed here many times and search will reveal it to you. But a quick answer for this is
higher rim size and lower profile tyre make a good visual appeal. The handling part will increase. But due to its low profile, the ride over bad roads will be painful.
Old 29th March 2008, 09:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
But a quick answer for this is higher rim size and lower profile tyre make a good visual appeal. The handling part will increase. But due to its low profile, the ride over bad roads will be painful.
Thank you redfire for the choice as well as the clarification on rim sizes. I have been reading for the past few weeks here at teambhp and too much of knowledge available here is pretty overwhelming for newbies like me :-). And again being a costly purchase I didnt want to make any educated guesses. But I am really enjoying the fun of this and teambhp rocks! with you guys around .
Old 29th March 2008, 12:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

vroom77

Two proven options for an Ikon..

1. Get good set of 175/70-13 tyres like Michelin XM1 or Apollo Acelere. U may either get alloys or stay with stock rims..

OR

2. If u intend to upsize then get 185/60-14 Yokohama or Michelins with a good set of 14" alloys..

Its all upto u to decide whether u want 13" or 14" wheels..Ikon has a pretty robust suspension which can easily take 14".
Old 29th March 2008, 15:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

14" on the Ikon is no problem, it even came fitted from the factory in some versions with 175/65 R14. But 195 has a fouling problem with the arches so do not go for anything wider than 185 in either 13" or 14".

And 185/60 R14 has a LOT of tyre choices including Energy XM1+, ES 100, Pilot Preceda 2, BF Goodrich G-Sport etc. etc.
Old 30th March 2008, 21:38   #12
BHPian

buddy,

just go with stick size i did the same.... nxt versions came with 14" which is also ok.

If you are willing to spend a little more go for 14" ride qlty in m ost cases depend on tyre choose XM1's for good ride qlty... my exp
Old 24th April 2008, 08:24   #13
BHPian

Thanks a lot VC12, sorry couldnt reply to this thread as I changed my mind not to spend more on the Ikon and proceed with a vehicle upgrade. Safari DICOR is on the cards :-) and might pick one up by next month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks