Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2008, 23:02   #1
BHPian

Sumo Grande Alloys/Tyre up size

Dear Friends:

I am planning to buy Sumo Grande in next few weeks and I am contemplating on the upsizing the wheels and tyres. Since the top end model doesn't even come with Alloys, I am thinking abt getting them for the Grande. The current size of the tyres are 235/70 R 16 tubeless and would like to upgrade the tyres to next optimal size (esp the wider ones) so that I get better grip and reduce the body roll hopefully. Ofcourse improving the looks. I feel 16inch wheels are enough for this mamoth vehicle but want to upsize the tyres without effecting the fuel efficiency. Please advice on the right size and probably suggest the best tyres available in the market (tubeless).

Thank you,
Shiva
Old 12th April 2008, 23:43   #2
BHPian

You could go for 255/60/17 or 275/55/15. Former would be better so that your ride quality is not compromised much.

Tyres: Yokohama Advan ST

Nirmal
Old 12th April 2008, 23:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

shiva

255 70 R 16 should be fine
Old 13th April 2008, 00:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

The correct upsize is 255/65 R16 & it is available in the following patterns:

Michelin Synchrone
Michelin Latitude HP
Yokohama Geolandar
Old 13th April 2008, 00:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
You could go for 255/60/17 or 275/55/15. Former would be better so that your ride quality is not compromised much.

Tyres: Yokohama Advan ST

Nirmal

Sorry. Please read 275/55/15 as 275/55/17. If you want to stick to 16'' you could go with 255/65 R16 as iraghava mentioned.

Nirmal
Old 14th April 2008, 08:53   #6
BHPian

Thank you

Thank you Friends for all your replies! I am planning to visit the Tyre Shop and take a look at first hand. Will get back to you with my selection.

Regards,
Shiva
Old 14th April 2008, 15:03   #7
BANNED

dude keeep us updated with pics ...really want to see how the GRANDE looks with upsized wheeels.......
Old 15th April 2008, 20:19   #8
BHPian

Sure I will! I haven't got a chance to take a look at the alloys and tyres. I am not sure whether I would upgrade to 17" inch alloys since I don't want the fuel efficiency and ride quality to suffer. Just wanted to sport the vehicle with alloys and wider tyres to reduce body roll (possibly) and better stance on the run.

I will post pictures by once I take possession of the vechicle
Old 16th April 2008, 12:34   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I would suggest using the same 16 inch size rims because they are perfectly designed for your vehicle. Upsizing the rims is not a great idea because in case you hit a pothole or bottom out on a bad road, there is a chance that bigger rims and tyres could hit the wheel well of your vehicle, causing un-necessary complications.

A good choice for you on Alloys would be AURA F11665 - 16 inch. These are what Ive put on my Scorp (which I just bought a week ago) and you can see the pictures if you like on my review of it.

These alloys contribute to stability because they have widened the stance of my Scorp by about 1 inch or so because the alloy wheels are about 1 inch wider than the standard steel wheels that the Scorp comes with. Ive used the standard 235 70 R 16 Tubeless Tyres which I got with the Scorp.

I have suggested the same as above to my colleague who also has bought a Sumo Grande GX.

Have fun with your new Sumo Grande. Drive safely and I hope it gives you excellent service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivag View Post
Dear Friends:

I am planning to buy Sumo Grande in next few weeks and I am contemplating on the upsizing the wheels and tyres. Since the top end model doesn't even come with Alloys, I am thinking abt getting them for the Grande. The current size of the tyres are 235/70 R 16 tubeless and would like to upgrade the tyres to next optimal size (esp the wider ones) so that I get better grip and reduce the body roll hopefully. Ofcourse improving the looks. I feel 16inch wheels are enough for this mamoth vehicle but want to upsize the tyres without effecting the fuel efficiency. Please advice on the right size and probably suggest the best tyres available in the market (tubeless).

Thank you,
Shiva
Attached Thumbnails
Sumo Grande Alloys/Tyre up size-dsc05684.jpg  

Sumo Grande Alloys/Tyre up size-dsc05682.jpg  

Sumo Grande Alloys/Tyre up size-dsc05683.jpg  

Old 16th April 2008, 21:08   #10
BHPian

Thank you so much Shankar for your detailed write up. Infact I was also not so comfortable to upgrade to 17" alloys but was contemplating on fitting wider tyres to get better grip and stability (thanks to the suspension retained from old work horse sumo).

After looking at your Scorp I think the tyres that comes along with the vehicle is good enough and wider since as you said the alloys would be wider anyway by an inch.

Btw friends I visited couple of Tyre/wheel shops today (in chennai). The Aura alloys 16" comes around 24k with rest of the Korean/Taiwanese incl League/HR etc between 19 - 32 k for a set of 5. The tyres are the most expensive Michelin/Yokohama with one costing 8k plus - 255/65/R16 (but I forgot to inquire abt buy back the new ones that come along with the vehicle).

Anyway thanks again all of you for your suggestion, I will keep you posted on the progress.
Old 17th April 2008, 13:49   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

my pleasure!
typically the Aura F11665 R 16 Alloys 5 Spoke like Ive got, cost 27155/- at the dealers place.
However, for the peace of mind you get, because of the reputed company and one year guarantee, is worth that 4 grand extra that you pay.

In ref to the buy back of tyres- when you go to change your BRAND NEW OEM Tyres you will never get the market price.

If you are lucky you will probably get between Rs 500 and Rs 1500 for each tyre as per my personal experience in the past when I enquired. This is why I never change the OEM tyres or substitute the same - I wait for the tyre life to end and then upgrade to whichever ones are suitable.

Have fun

cheers

shankar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivag View Post
Thank you so much Shankar for your detailed write up. Infact I was also not so comfortable to upgrade to 17" alloys but was contemplating on fitting wider tyres to get better grip and stability (thanks to the suspension retained from old work horse sumo).

After looking at your Scorp I think the tyres that comes along with the vehicle is good enough and wider since as you said the alloys would be wider anyway by an inch.

Btw friends I visited couple of Tyre/wheel shops today (in chennai). The Aura alloys 16" comes around 24k with rest of the Korean/Taiwanese incl League/HR etc between 19 - 32 k for a set of 5. The tyres are the most expensive Michelin/Yokohama with one costing 8k plus - 255/65/R16 (but I forgot to inquire abt buy back the new ones that come along with the vehicle).

Anyway thanks again all of you for your suggestion, I will keep you posted on the progress.
Old 17th April 2008, 14:47   #12
BANNED

here are my scorpio tyers 275/60/r15 hankook dynamic 5300/- per tyer

i saw the grande tyers man they look so skinny..its better you upgrade to some wider rubber
Attached Thumbnails
Sumo Grande Alloys/Tyre up size-11032007350.jpg  

Old 17th April 2008, 15:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
my pleasure!
typically the Aura F11665 R 16 Alloys 5 Spoke like Ive got, cost 27155/- at the dealers place.
i bought this same alloy 1.5 yrs back for 22K/set of 5 with B&W.

this alloys is BTW tough and serving me well since then.
Old 18th April 2008, 08:02   #14
BHPian

Yes Shankar you are right it is worth it go for a exchange of the tyres if you don't even get half the price of the brand new original tyres. Most likely I will go for Aura F11665 R 16 alloys and retain the OEM tyres. Atleast for an year or so.

Zenopio, thanks for the pic ...really looks very cool and awesome. But since I am running on a budget I thought I could use the money for other accessories like a LCD or so esp when I will be loosing substantial money during the buy back.
Old 18th April 2008, 14:17   #15
BHPian

Sorry Typo ..... Corrected text is below..
Yes Shankar you are right it is NOT worth it go for a exchange of the tyres if you don't even get half the price of the brand new original tyres. Most likely I will go for Aura F11665 R 16 alloys and retain the OEM tyres. Atleast for an year or so.

Zenopio, thanks for the pic ...really looks very cool and awesome. But since I am running on a budget I thought I could use the money for other accessories like a LCD or so esp when I will be loosing substantial money during the buy back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks