Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2005, 15:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Goodyear GSD2 vs B'stone Potenza G III!!!!

How are the Potenza G IIIs when compared to the Goodyear GSD2s?

From the speed rating on both tyres (of the same size) it's obvious that the GSD2 with a V rating is more performance oriented than the Potenza G III with H rating.

But performance is one aspect of it but, what about reliability (especially on our broken roads).

Does anyone have these tyres fitted on their cars?

I need some feedback on these tyres. Sooner the better. Even if you come across any online reviews, post their links here.

Shan2nu
Old 18th February 2005, 16:23   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hey Shan,

I got D2's on my car. NC has them on his Ikon too.

I'm pretty happy with them. Silent, great grip, good in the wet and fairly cheap to buy as well. I have driven a 1.5 City with these tyres and boy, does it make a BIG difference...for the better (duh!).

Can't really comment on the GIII's. I was deciding between these 2 makes myself and went for the Goodyear's. No regrets from my end.
Old 19th February 2005, 09:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yup,

D2's are the best tyres ive driven on till date - awesome grip and pretty silent too and yeah got it comparatively cheaper than the Michellins and Pirellis .

cheers
Old 19th February 2005, 11:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well, yesterday, i went to this other tyre dealer who said that the GSD2s and the G3s were not easily available here or in Blore. He called up a few dealers in Blore and they all said that these tyres would be available on in March.

He also said that the price might differ. Right now, the G3's cost around 3600 (+/- 100).

He couldn't get the price for the GSD2s though. I went through the G3 review and downloaded a pdf brochure. It seems to be a good tyre too.

The strenght of Bridgestone is in wet conditons and i'm pretty impressed with the way my stock S322s work, when the going gets slippery.

Performance wise, there's nothing to choose between these 2. My biggest worry is reliability, thought these tyre might be high performance and mae using hi tech materials, they've do require a certain kind of tarmac (make that "that best").

On a smooth expressway, these tyre might do wonders and run without a flaw but what happens when the car is driven on bad roads? Which of these tyres has what it takes to get past that kind of torture?

I have faith on BS since i've owned them before and they've proved to be worth every penny.

Finally, it all comes down to the availability of these tyres, i don't mind either of them so, i'll buy what ever is available in March.

My first choice though are the GSD2s.

Shan2nu
Old 22nd February 2005, 02:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, yesterday, i went to this other tyre dealer who said that the GSD2s and the G3s were not easily available here or in Blore. He called up a few dealers in Blore and they all said that these tyres would be available on in March.

He also said that the price might differ. Right now, the G3's cost around 3600 (+/- 100).

He couldn't get the price for the GSD2s though. I went through the G3 review and downloaded a pdf brochure. It seems to be a good tyre too.
The GDS3s are costing 3800 in mumbai and the GSD2s are 3400.They are readily available for purchase.Wy are they not available in Bangalore??
GSD2s are excellent tyres.Have read good reviews bout the d3s myself,but have not driven on on one of these.

Quote:
The strenght of Bridgestone is in wet conditons and i'm pretty impressed with the way my stock S322s work, when the going gets slippery.
I can vouch for that.They are truly the Gods of wet.

Quote:
Performance wise, there's nothing to choose between these 2. My biggest worry is reliability, thought these tyre might be high performance and mae using hi tech materials, they've do require a certain kind of tarmac (make that "that best").
On a smooth expressway, these tyre might do wonders and run without a flaw but what happens when the car is driven on bad roads? Which of these tyres has what it takes to get past that kind of torture?
If bad roads is ur main criteria,then the Goodyears are not ment for you.They do not handle all that well on bad roads,have bumpy rides and are not all that smooth either.
If u can compromise a bit on high end speed and braking factor,go for the Grid IIIs.They are really smooth and have good low-end ride too.

Quote:
I have faith on BS since i've owned them before and they've proved to be worth every penny.
I have them on my car.And have no regrets at all.Infact i've driven my friends car wit GSD2s for a good 600km.Was not all that happy with the performance.They lose out while taking high speed turns and are also a lil noisy.Infact all Goodyear tyres are.

Quote:
Finally, it all comes down to the availability of these tyres, i don't mind either of them so, i'll buy what ever is available in March.
Make sure u put in proper research and drive cars having these tyres.Both are equally good in thier own terms.U still have time.Also try out goodyear nct3/nct5 if u can.

X

Last edited by X-Machine : 22nd February 2005 at 02:07.
Old 22nd February 2005, 10:04   #6
BHPian

X-Machine,

How are the Michelin Pilot Precedas? Do you know anyone who has them? I was told that these tyres are somewhat midway between comfort and hanlding, is this true? I want to go for them since my car is going to be used by my Dad too; so ride comfort is important to me along with performance. Please advice - let me know if there are any other tyres that you recommend over the Precedas.

~Sonic
Old 22nd February 2005, 10:08   #7
BHPian

And to add, the dealer told me that the Precedas cost Rs. 4300 for 195/60 R14!! Isn't this high?!!
Old 22nd February 2005, 20:23   #8
BHPian

just 2 weeks back i decided to go in for potenza GIII 195/R14. i trusted bridgestone since i used it before for 40K kms and i didnt want to chance GSD2. i heard and read reviews that GSD2 were great in performance but dont come a long way!
GIII s cost me 3800/-
handling is great, very less noise..
Old 23rd February 2005, 00:51   #9
BHPian

The Goodyear GSD2s were available in bangalore off the shelf at 3200 for each tyre, when i enquired about a week back, in a shop on link road. Try the showroom on J.C.Road, where there's a guy called sethi who can help you out, even if they are not available.
Old 23rd February 2005, 01:08   #10

precedas are one of the best tyres i have ever seen after the Michellin MXF series
i think u should go with those tyre i have used iit on my palio and they are just amazing .....they just hold the car on the road and the handling is just superb....... for me the ride is a bit hard cause i have put 15 inch rims on the car ..........but if u put 13 or 14 u will not face that problem ...........the goodyears are a bit soft compound gives good handling and grip initially.........the G3s i am using it on my other car they are good for regular basis wont wore out fast good handling and grip..............but my vote goes to precedas
Old 23rd February 2005, 04:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic
X-Machine,

How are the Michelin Pilot Precedas? Do you know anyone who has them? I was told that these tyres are somewhat midway between comfort and hanlding, is this true? I want to go for them since my car is going to be used by my Dad too; so ride comfort is important to me along with performance. Please advice - let me know if there are any other tyres that you recommend over the Precedas.

~Sonic
Well Sonic,frankly speaking ive never driven on Precedas at all.So i cant comment,but of wot ive heard Michelin Certis are superior than the Precedas.
Although i've tried Certis,i wud not recommend it over Goodyears at all.

X
Old 23rd February 2005, 17:16   #12
Awaiting Email Confirmation

i use pilot precedas on my city gr8 tires for handling and reliability no questions asked if ur in for the best then its gotta b pilot precedas
Old 2nd March 2005, 14:55   #13
BHPian

I've got all 3 installed. GS-D2 on New City, Preceda on another New City and GIII on an Astra. I find the GIII to be noisy during high speeds compared to both the other rubbers.

My preceda's are 195 R14 on 6" alloys and the GS-D2's are 185 R14 on 6" alloys. The wide preceda's are a strain on the car's EPS (makes a groaning soud at times during standstill hile using the steering) and the steering is harder as compared to the narrower GS-D2's whose steering is smoother.

Haven't played around with the GS-D2's but both the GIII and Preceda have great grip and cornering with the peceda's is a dream compared to stock Goodyear's or Bridgestone.

One terrifing experience I had with the precedas during emergency braking. They worked great for a second or two but when the brakes stopped the wheels in motion the car skid like a hot knife on butter. No vibration or jerking before giving way like stock tyres, the car just lost it. BUT!!! stopped me from 60 to 0 in around 30 feet approx. They also saved the moron on a bike who decided to stop for a cell phone call. (My fault, overtaking from the extreme left!!)

Definitely recommend Michelin Pilot Preceda's.

Last edited by mikem : 2nd March 2005 at 15:01.
Old 14th March 2005, 19:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

I had this one question, is it normal for a wornout tyre to offer a harsh and niosy ride? Cos i find that the ride has become harsher and the potholes and bumps are not accepted the way they used to be, when the tyres had considerable tread life.

Shan2nu
Old 14th March 2005, 19:51   #15
Team-BHP Support

Shan2nu, Also add to that hard ageing rubber compound.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks