Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2008, 00:09   #1
BHPian

Tyre advice Falken Vs Yokohama

Between the two tires mentioned below in the 185/65R14 size which do you members recommend. I am inclined towards the FALKEN but would like your valued suggestion especially from those who have used either of these two tires before making a final choice between the two.
The tires I have in mind are.
1)Yokohama AVID H4s/V4s
Yokohama

2)Falken ZIEX ZE-512
Falken Tire

I do not want GOODYEAR, MichelinXM1+, BFGoodrich,Continental,Apollo Accelerre,Bridgestone or MRF
I haven't a clue about Pirelli tires.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Please advice soon as I have to make the purchase on Monday the 7th of July 2008.
Old 6th July 2008, 09:06   #2
rippergeo

Falken's are good initially, then, fade away fast.I have no experience with other brands md that size except bridgestone. The size you have mentioned is the same as the swift's. Did you go through the swift tyre thread? Lots of useful info there.

Old 6th July 2008, 10:17   #3
BHPian

If you are looking for a good performance tire, I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Preceda. Using them on my Palio GTX, 195/60R15 and they do wonders for the handling, and braking.
Old 6th July 2008, 11:25   #4
BANNED

From your choices, I'll take the Yokohama. Falkens just don't find place in my good books.

By any chance, if you want to look for more choices in that size, Michelin PP2 is a good option.
Old 6th July 2008, 14:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
The size you have mentioned is the same as the swift's. Did you go through the swift tyre thread? Lots of useful info there.
185/65-14 isn't a correct size for Swift. 195/65-14 would be perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
If you are looking for a good performance tire, I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Preceda. Using them on my Palio GTX, 195/60R15 and they do wonders for the handling, and braking.
195/60-15 or 195/60-14....?? 15" would touch IMO..
Old 6th July 2008, 20:50   #6
BANNED

195/60R15 will touch in a Palio. Yes, speaking from experience.

What have you decided Doc?
Old 6th July 2008, 21:09   #7
Team-BHP Support

Falkens are not too bad and are a value option. Yokos are the best for driving.

I have a pair of Falkens which I did about 300 km on track exactly as described and they were pretty good. Which reminds me, I got to put it in the classified!
Old 6th July 2008, 21:16   #8
BANNED

Falken are good tyres, but yokohama are better.
YOKOHAMA specializes in performance tyres.
By the way for which car are you looking for?
Old 6th July 2008, 23:04   #9
BHPian

Its for my GTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Falken are good tyres, but yokohama are better.
YOKOHAMA specializes in performance tyres.
By the way for which car are you looking for?

I do know that I should be putting in 185/60R14 for the GTX in lieu of my 175/65R14 bridgestone originals. There is going to be odo and speedo error with the incorrect upsize but I am getting old and relish the comfy ride of plusher suspensions. The increased sidewall height will help in the cushioning effect.
The yoko has better reputation but has 5.7inch tread width wheras the Falkens in the link have 6.1 inches. There are very many favourable reviews about this particular Falkens in overseas forums and websites.

The reason for the change is that a big chunk of rubber exploded off the right front tire of my GTX when doing 40kmph or below on supersmooth roads near Kunnamkulam which is a small village bordering Palghat district. There was no stone hit and no punture and air is till there to the recommended level of 31psi but the tire is totally out of shape beyond recognition in one area which has bulged out too like a baloon and I can see the steel meshing. The sidewall is intact and only the tread area is bulged out. These tires are the original BridgestoneS322 that came with the car. Usually at these spots I usually touch 120kmph but not on this occasion as I was attending to a phone call. Talking on the phone saved my life last Friday at 14:10hours as I go down to crawling speeds when attending phone calls when driving and usually stop by the way side in the city.
Old 6th July 2008, 23:09   #10
BHPian

I do not wish to go above 185 size

Quote:
The PP2 have rigid sidewalls which will rob me further of my already hard suspension. The GTX suspension is Nirvana above 100kmph on potholed/no roads but at crawling speeds they are pretty harsh.
Old 6th July 2008, 23:26   #11
BANNED

If comfort is what you are looking for , then your selection of size is correct. I would advise you to go in for tyres made in india & not imported, as you would not be able to enjoy the warranty & after sales benifits on imported. Anyway if you go in for imported, check the date of mfg. , the tyres should not be more than 6 months old.
Really bad for bridgestones developing bulges & exploding. Thank god that nobody got hurt. This was probably the 1st. eg. of mobile being good for driving.
One thing just came to my mind, both yokohama & falken are known for performance rather than comfort. They do make comfort tyres also, but emphasis is more on performance.
Old 7th July 2008, 00:26   #12
BANNED

There're many imported tires which can be bought with Bill & Warranty. Some are good when it comes to After sales.

It's not at all necessary that one should buy only Indian tires to get comfortable ride.

Hey, I can't believe it's me who's posting on this Tires' and rubber section.
@iRaghava. Bure dost ho toh nateeja bura asar ho gaa!
Old 7th July 2008, 01:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Yokohoma it should be dude. They rock
195/60 R14 is a great size. Personal Experience on the NHC vTec
Old 7th July 2008, 01:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry, my mistake.

I have 195/60R14 not 15.
Old 7th July 2008, 01:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
The PP2 have rigid sidewalls which will rob me further of my already hard suspension. The GTX suspension is Nirvana above 100kmph on potholed/no roads but at crawling speeds they are pretty harsh.
Yes, the Michelin PP have rigid sidewalls that reduce distortion due to lateral acceleration. This is why they provide such good cornering. I expect that this should also provide superior sidewall performance against punctures and tears on the sidewall.

You are also right about the harsher ride with these tires. I can definitely feel the road bumps. But that is always the trade off with high performance tires. My personal preference is to live with a harsher ride in exchange for the confidence and performance that these tires give at 100+ kph.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks