Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2008, 09:38   #16
BHPian

if you are looking at comfort & country side driving i suggest ASPEC 300 YOKOHAMA, ASPEC series is specifically made for comfort & touring & it has slight bulge on the side wall which will take the harsh road easily.. fill the same with nitrogen & it should be even better in comfort...

its priced Rs.2800/- here @ millivision , bangalore....

FIAT, always....
Old 7th July 2008, 10:14   #17
JRD
BHPian

hey
i have falken K102's on my OHC and i have to say they are good tires. road noise, traction and wear are comparable to any other high end tire. So I would say falken is a good bet. Only issue might be the road noise as the ziex is a high performance tire..

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Between the two tires mentioned below in the 185/65R14 size which do you members recommend. I am inclined towards the FALKEN but would like your valued suggestion especially from those who have used either of these two tires before making a final choice between the two.
The tires I have in mind are.
1)Yokohama AVID H4s/V4s
Yokohama

2)Falken ZIEX ZE-512
Falken Tire

I do not want GOODYEAR, MichelinXM1+, BFGoodrich,Continental,Apollo Accelerre,Bridgestone or MRF
I haven't a clue about Pirelli tires.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Please advice soon as I have to make the purchase on Monday the 7th of July 2008.
Old 7th July 2008, 22:26   #18
BHPian

Finally made the purchase.

After searching for 4 hours since morning first on the phone and then going there in person I gave up as the specific models were not available in 6 shops spread all over Ernakulam.
By 2pm I was totally fed up and decided to go in for Indian brands.
I had a choice of Appollo Acclere, Mrf ZV2K, Bridgestone and Goodyear. I then looked up the one with the highest sidewall ply rating. Only the MRF had 2plys and the rest including foreign brands(except BFGOODRICH) had a single ply for the sidewall which is not very much suited for Indian conditions. Finally shod my GTX with the tires that are meant for the Petrol Optra. These are MRF tires meant for the Optra. They were the widest treaded tires among all brands I had screened on the internet with only the FALKEN 512 having a wider contact patch in the 185/65R14 size by about 4mm.

I have only driven 15km with them and hence cannot comment on its performance. Its definitely far more comfortable than the original BridgestoneS322. Infact there is no comparison between the two regarding the cusioning effect that too even when having 2 polyster ply for the sidewall in the MRF. I will be running in the tires( Below 60kmph) for about 500km i.e about 10 heating and cooling cylces before letting the GTX rip them.

Thanks to everyone who responded and I still feel the YOKAHAMA AVIDS/Falcon512 would have been a better choice even with single ply for the sidewall. Guess what I bought the tire which I had written off in the first instant. That's life.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 7th July 2008 at 22:30.
Old 7th July 2008, 22:58   #19
BHPian

Too bad you didn't get to dress up your ride with your choice of tires. But as you rightly said, that's life !! BUt as a general reference to you and other members on the forum. Please do check the manufacturing date on any Falken tire you intend to buy. They do have a lot of old stock being shiped / billed to dealers.
Old 8th July 2008, 00:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Hey, I can't believe it's me who's posting on this Tires' and rubber section.
@iRaghava. Bure dost ho toh nateeja bura asar ho gaa!
You're finally learning something useful in life bugger!

Quote:
After searching for 4 hours since morning first on the phone and then going there in person I gave up as the specific models were not available in 6 shops spread all over Ernakulam.
That's because both these tyre are after market products & AFAIK Yoko after market supply has dried up almost completely every since they entered the market officially last year and Falken's availability is also very patchy.

Given your requirement I would have suggested you try a tyre like Michelin XM1+/Yokohama A-Drive/Apollo Accelere etc. but since you already vetoed them out, I didn't see any point. Just one question though, what exactly was the reason that you did not want tyres from these brands?
Old 8th July 2008, 01:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

After so much you ended up buying MRF? Those tyres are rubbish. Even Michelin PP2 is more comfortable than MRF.
Old 8th July 2008, 07:03   #22
BHPian

Sidewall ply rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
You're finally learning something useful in life bugger!

That's because both these tyre are after market products & AFAIK Yoko after market supply has dried up almost completely every since they entered the market officially last year and Falken's availability is also very patchy.

Given your requirement I would have suggested you try a tyre like Michelin XM1+/Yokohama A-Drive/Apollo Accelere etc. but since you already vetoed them out, I didn't see any point. Just one question though, what exactly was the reason that you did not want tyres from these brands?
All the tires I had vetoed have very thin sidewalls and these I felt with my bare hands. MRF had been vetoed solely because this forum had rubbished the tire by all who had mentioned this tire. I was hoping for a brand with atleast 2 ply rating for the sidewall if I could not get my original choice. The reason for the original choice of Avid or Falken512 is extensive reading on the internet about them from those who have used it. The Adrive from Yokahama was not available in the size I wanted though they were available in 15 inches and above. The PP2 was sidelined because they are unidirectional and cannot be inversed for use. The GTX has negative camber inbuilt for fast cornering which results in inside wear of the tires which requires me to inverse them every20000km. I wanted tires that had similar pattern of tread on either side of the tire The tires I had put as first choice could be inversed and still have them rotating in the right direction. Like for example the left front tire could be inversed and used for the right front and vice versa such that the inside wall becomes the outside once inversed but rotating inthe correct direction.The PP2 have different pattern for inside and outside.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 8th July 2008 at 07:14.
Old 8th July 2008, 08:41   #23
BHPian

Good Choice Of Tyres!

Hi!

Your choice in tyres was good. I too have MRF ZV2K & even after 15000 KM of HARD driving they are as strong on grip & tread wear as it was on the day i got them with the car!

Lots of members have chastised me too, but i find them rather good. Trust me, you will LOVE the tyres!
Old 8th July 2008, 10:59   #24
BHPian

Does minimal tread wear translate into better tyres ?? Would it not mean that the tyres are not gripping the road as well hence the lower wear 'coz of low friction ??
Old 8th July 2008, 12:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

The reason why MRF tyres have low treadwear is cos they are made of really hard rubber and have absolutely no grip. The hardness make it horrid for ride quality as well. If someone says MRF is grippy, he's never actually experienced what a grippy tyre is like.
Old 8th July 2008, 12:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They were the widest treaded tires among all brands I had screened on the internet with only the FALKEN 512 having a wider contact patch in the 185/65R14 size by about 4mm.
but why 185/65-14 - the correct upsize should have been 185/60-14 na?

congrats on the new tyres and do give your impression after the initial drives / running in.

take care and drive safe.
Old 8th July 2008, 22:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
but why 185/65-14 - the correct upsize should have been 185/60-14 na?
I wanted increased sidewall height for the cushy feeling which I mentioned in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The reason why MRF tyres have low treadwear is cos they are made of really hard rubber and have absolutely no grip. The hardness make it horrid for ride quality as well. If someone says MRF is grippy, he's never actually experienced what a grippy tyre is like.
The ride quality is definitely better than the tires that originally came with the car which were Bridgestone S322.
The ride has become so soft with the MRF that I cannot feel the graininess of the road which I cannot live without and hence I have upped the tire pressure from the recommended 28psi to 30psi with single passenger so that I can feel more connected to the road.
I hate the feel of bridge crossover joints but at the same time I want to feel what ever my tires are going over even if its a hand full of sand strewn on the road. The only need is that it should be mushy and full of feel at the same time. My requirements are contradictory but I think I have arrived at an acceptable compromise with these tires.
The Michelin PP2 may have been a better choice but for reasons stated earlier I had to forgo them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks