Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2005, 17:22   #1
BHPian

Any adverse affects of up-sizing tyres??

Hi All,

I up-sized the wheels on my new Baleno from 165/80 R13 to 915/60 R14. Since then, I have been hearing "creaks and groans" from the suspension (something like "ping" sounds after a drive or even while driving)!! So I was curious as to whether there is any negative impact on the suspension due to the up-size. However, the tyres do not touch the insides during turning.....

Now am worried sick about the suspension getting screwed-up!! And to top it I have spent ~40K on the alloys and tyres. :(

Could someone please throw some light on this?

~Sonic

Last edited by sonic : 10th March 2005 at 17:24.
Old 10th March 2005, 17:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

well first of all its 195/60/14. the pings and creaks could be:
1. suspension hitting someting
2. it has something stuck in it, get it checked and oiled.
3. also check teh balancing weights they might be lose or they might be touching somethin mostly the braking unit.
Old 10th March 2005, 17:44   #3
BHPian

Iceman,

The suspension does not creak all the time or even when going over a pothole or road hump. The "pinging" is somewhat ramdom. I first heard it when I came back from a drive, parked the car and got out of the car. I could hear some "ping" sounds coming from diff parts..... Later, I observed the same sound randomly (rarely) when I was driving too.

And could you please elaborate on what u meant by saying "first of all it's 195/60 R14"?

~Sonic
Old 10th March 2005, 18:42   #4
BHPian

Well, i guess ur current tyre size is absolutely perfect.... & should not be harming ur suspension at all...! So the noises from ur suspension is definately not coz.. of ur tyres..! May be due to a lot of reasons which u probably will have to get it checked from maruti...!! BUT DUNT WORRY ITS NOT COZ OF UR TYRE SIZE...!
Old 10th March 2005, 19:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure its coming from the suspension?

I doubt that it is the suspension...because you said the sound came even when you parked the car and got out...

The noise is coming from somewhere else in my opinion.
I get that pinging sort of sound from my bike even after stopping the engine...i guess its pretty normal because it was there from day one and nothing has gone wrong till now more than a year down the line.

I cant say its the same case with your car...but i dont think its the suspension...but get it checked nevertheless.

Drifter
Old 10th March 2005, 20:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

all new marutis make the sound. i think it has something to do with metal expansion in the cat or the exhaust system. don't worry, nothing to do with the suspension.

send us some pics of your ride!
Old 10th March 2005, 20:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

no problem with the upsize you have undergone.i have done the same thing and dont really notice that sound.but ill be observent the next time.
Old 10th March 2005, 22:15   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hows the weather in Bangalore ?
Must be pretty cold because the "random pinging" you are hearing when you switch off the car is due to metal contracting as the car cools when turned off. (as v1p3r said).

This happens a lot more in much colder climates, and i guess people dont notice it much in India, but when they do it is a very strange noise to be comming from the car so naturally they get worried.
However, its rarer to hear these sounds when driving (so make sure this is infact what you are describing, which should sound like randomly popping and pinging metal).

cya
R
Old 24th September 2005, 09:12   #9
BHPian

I had the same issue with my Baleno. I spoke to the maruti engineers and they are sure it the catalytic convertor which pings after a lengthy or power driving session esp. if the env. temp is cold. It seems like it comes from the rear suspension setup (esp. drivers side), but it's apparently not.

This is normal and nothing to worry about.
Old 25th September 2005, 12:31   #10
BHPian

Even I upgraded the tyres into 195/60r14 and alloys and did proper wheel balancing and alignment after buying my Baleno about a month and half back. Since then, it's been making a strange khatak-tak-tak sound from the front suspension side on scarred and broken roads. esp. when turning the steering wheel. Kinda like the faulty driving shaft sound of the old M800 just to a lesser degree. Showed it to the dealer here and they changed the tie end rods under warranty. The sound persists. They checked the lower arms and all the bushes, joints. couldn't find the cause of it. Me and the dealers are both lost.

Also a regular squeaking sound from the boot even on plain roads and vibrating rattle from the dashboard when going at slightly faster speeds. The Workshop Manager has given up on it and says- " This is a Maruti. There is bound to be rattles and sounds on it. Put in a loud stereo. Have U seen my personal car?"

Frankly, I'm really dissapointed with the build quality of the Baleno. This is after a month and half. Can't wait to pay off my bank loan and get rid of it and buy something else..
Old 27th September 2005, 18:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

My car runs on stock tyres(look in my avatar)and i too hear that sound.....maybe as slash said it is from the cat.
Old 1st October 2005, 14:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Guys any adverse effect of upsizing tyres with ABS! Stock 195s to 205s makes the ABS vibrate a bit and braking is not as good as 195! What seems to be the problem?

p.s Tyres are aligned and balanced!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks