Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2005, 17:27   #1
BHPian

would like to change the tyres

hi guys

looking to buy a new set of tyres for my 4 year old accent. would kie to have suggestions from you all please in following points

what size to buy

from where in mumbai will i get good deals.

should i go for alloys.

daily driving is around 50 kms/day

thanks in advance

regards

shubbhi
Old 10th March 2005, 17:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Go for 14 inchers and ofcourse if u are really willing then definately go for alloys. You can try International Tyres at Opera house. You will get each and every tyre there and indian make alloys too
Old 10th March 2005, 18:38   #3
BHPian

Go for 14" wheels, or 15' wheels (Max.) if u want her to look good.... but since u have about 50km of driving everyday, i guess u can go for 195/55/R15..... try and get the highest profile in this size if u want driving comfort.....
Old 10th March 2005, 19:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

I've got 185/60R14 falkens on my accent crdi.

On 14 inchers the ride does become a bit jittery...if performance and looks are not much of a concern then stick to 13 inch rims. Ride will be best on this size. You can go for alloys as well.

putting 195 tyres will eat up the FE to some extent, i mentioned because you said the daily running is 50kms...so i guess sticking to 185 is the best compromise between performance and FE.

There are three parameters in selecting a tyre
Ride
Performance (grip - wet and dry)
FE

You cannot get the best of all three....so the idea is to get the best compromise.

For ride - stick to 13" wheels

For performance - upsize to 14" (ideal)...15" would also look good with the performance but 15" are more prone to damage from bad roads. I'm having problems regarding road damage in my 14" wheels.

For FE - stick to the original size tyres.

These are the options.

175/70R13 185/60R14 195/55R15

The makes of the best tyres i'l leave to the experts in this area. Rehaan u listening?

Drifter
Old 10th March 2005, 22:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

u want to go tubeless or stick with tube type ?

if u decide to go tubeless - get alloys ...

if not and want to stick with the same rims ( i think the accent comes with 13 inchers ) - get 175/70

if going for tubeless & alloys - get 14 inch and the tyre size 185/60 would be sufficient !!

as for the make .....u get Michellin , Goodyears , Falkens and in Indian makes Mrf , the recently launched Apollo Accelers

I guess your dad will be driving the car - so get Michellins good all rounders !!

cheers
Old 10th March 2005, 22:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hi Manaa45,

I would advise you to stick with the stock size, assuming that you arent really looking for the thrills and performance that most members here are.
At MAX you can go for 185.

Stick with 13" if you value that extra cushioning in the ride.
Go up to 14" if you want better cornering and a more stable ride, with a tiny (not really noticeable) sacrifice in ride comfort.

Go in for tubeless tires.
And buy some good quality rubber. You know i am a michelin man, so i would suggest the certis or pilot preceda.

As for where in bombay to buy, i have PMd you a visiting card. Same ppl stratos was reccomending.
They can check out your current steel wheels and tell you if they are in good enough condition to hold tubeless tires or not.

cheers
R
Old 14th March 2005, 11:48   #7
BHPian

i just got a set of yokohama 195/60 r14 for my 1.6 GTX! i am yet to test it on a track but the initial impression was very good. the grip was amazing. with the oe bridgestones i would get crazy wheel spins in 1st and when shifting to 2nd at the red line. but now wheel spins are non-existant.

even when one of the wheels is in the sand covered portions i was able to get a start without any spins. there has not been any noticable change in ride quality. well i am not complaining! ride quality was never on my mind!!!!

would recommend it to you guys. it cost me around 3.3k per tyre. paid around 14k for set of 4 including balancing and alignment. didnt deduct the price for the old tires. maybe the old ones would fetch around 500.

got a few pics. i'll upload it in a while...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks