Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 15:52   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

DocG,

The Aspire has not really been tested properly. Just because it is Indian doesnt mean it will handle Indian roads well. It is meant to compete with the foreign brands and tyres. I would say you avoid it.

You have a set of requirements which simply cannot be satisfied. If you misuse your tyres, it will get damaged. No question about it. Buy a set of COntis or Michelins and be a little careful with it. Dont use it like you used your GIIIs.

Now that we have finalised the tyre size as 225/55 R16, let's talk about tyres.

BTW, what rims are you going to purchase?

1). Continental CPC2 - Will cost you about 7.6k per tyre. Superb tyres. Read more using google. This is considered one of the best all round tyres in the world. Exceptional wet weather grip, relatively low noise and decent dry grip. Very good at braking tests too.

2). Michelin Pilot Primacy is the other tyre available in this size - Expensive. But decent otherwise.

3). Michelin Primacy LC - Not so great grip in wet or dry but very very comfortable and silent. Good wet braking as well.

4). Nothing from Yoko. They have the ES501 which is nowhere close to the Contis.

5). Bridgestone --- Haha! You kidding me?

6). Neuton --- Stay away!! Same goes for Maxxis, Ling long, ding dong, etc....
Old 15th September 2009, 16:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
DocG,
You have a set of requirements which simply cannot be satisfied. If you misuse your tyres, it will get damaged. No question about it. Buy a set of COntis or Michelins and be a little careful with it. Dont use it like you used your GIIIs.

Now that we have finalised the tyre size as 225/55 R16, let's talk about tyres.

BTW, what rims are you going to purchase?

1). Continental CPC2 - Will cost you about 7.6k per tyre. Superb tyres. Read more using google. This is considered one of the best all round tyres in the world. Exceptional wet weather grip, relatively low noise and decent dry grip. Very good at braking tests too.

2). Michelin Pilot Primacy is the other tyre available in this size - Expensive. But decent otherwise.

3). Michelin Primacy LC - Not so great grip in wet or dry but very very comfortable and silent. Good wet braking as well.

4). Nothing from Yoko. They have the ES501 which is nowhere close to the Contis.

5). Bridgestone --- Haha! You kidding me?

6). Neuton --- Stay away!! Same goes for Maxxis, Ling long, ding dong, etc....

Thank you for the prompt reply Nikhil,

I'm keen on 17" rims though, I'm associated with a dealer for Konig, Enkei and Momo, and have narrowed down the rims for my car to either Konig or Enkei.

As I said I'm keen on 17"ers, which is why I was wondering if I could get a tyre which is 235/45/R17

I'm pretty keen on trying out the Conti CPC2s based on your recommendation, could you please tell me if they are available in the above stated size, and the price for the same.

Again sir, I'm keen on a 17" rim, any specific reason why you're pointing me towards a 16"er? (Not much of an upsize there from a 17 is there...)
Old 15th September 2009, 18:39   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, 16" would give you a better ride and you have more options in 16" than 17".

Anyway in 17", here are your options.

1). 225/45 R17 Michelin Pilot Sport 2, PP2, Primacy HP

2). 235/45 R17 Michelin PP(shown in the price list, doubt it's availability).

3). 225/50 R17 Yokohama Advan Sport

4). 235/45 R17 Advan Sport and A Drive R1(not recommended as this is more of a budget tyre).

5). 225/45 R 17 Continental SportContact2. No CPC2. CSC2 is very soft and lots of sidewall damages have been reported.

So basically your options come down to the Michelin PP in 235/45 R17 if it's available which I highly doubt and the Advan Sport in the same size.

I've given you a list of tyre pattersn available in 225/45 R17 just to show the difference in availability and options between the two sizes but I know that 225/45 R17 is not the correct size.
Old 16th September 2009, 21:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
2). 235/45 R17 Michelin PP(shown in the price list, doubt it's availability).

4). 235/45 R17 Advan Sport and A Drive R1(not recommended as this is more of a budget tyre).

So basically your options come down to the Michelin PP in 235/45 R17 if it's available which I highly doubt and the Advan Sport in the same size.
Sir I thought that 235/45/R17 was the right upsize. If not, I'd like to know what is.

Sir what's the price of the options you've listed, or those which you recommend as the correct upsize.

Thanks for all the help
DocG
Old 16th September 2009, 22:30   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Dont 'sir' me! I'm 23!

235/45 R17 IS the correct size. But I recommend sticking to 16" and 225/55 R16 as you have more options in terms for tyres. Even though 235/45 R17 is the correct size, you dont have many options in India.

The two tyres I recommended in 235/45 R17 cost between 12-13k per tyre.
Old 16th September 2009, 22:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

3). Dont consider Advan Neovas. Will not last long and will be somewhat noisy and will give you a hard ride.
Stop scaring ppl off neovas. I found ride on 55 profile neovas to be better than 60 profile PP2s as you know. They are way more for forgiving that the image they have .

They seem to wear out super quick though!
Old 16th September 2009, 22:55   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

PS: Actually if you are keen on the 235/45 R17s, you dont have any choice apart from the Advan Sports.

And I am not scaring people away! But I dont want to be a foolish fanboi! I love the Advan Neovas.
Old 16th September 2009, 22:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Dont 'sir' me! I'm 23!

235/45 R17 IS the correct size. But I recommend sticking to 16" and 225/55 R16 as you have more options in terms for tyres. Even though 235/45 R17 is the correct size, you dont have many options in India.

The two tyres I recommended in 235/45 R17 cost between 12-13k per tyre.
Cool so you're my age. Cool profession. Anyhoo, 12-13K is steep, but if I'm going in for the upgrade then it has to be a minimum of 17. Like I said I said no to the 18" and above range due to ride and bad reviews. A friend of mine is running 17"s on 235/45/R17 on his Accord V6, and he says they're holding out just fine. He had 18" rims on his car earlier, and 3 of his tyres developed bubbles after barely 2 months. At present he has no issues with the size or his tyres.

However I think he's running some random brand, Hankook perhaps.

Hehe looking at the A Drive R1s, what's the price? I think that if I'm happy with the G3s how bad could A drives be?

Last edited by DocG : 16th September 2009 at 22:59.
Old 16th September 2009, 23:14   #24
BHPian

Oh I also wanted to ask you why you recommended against Neuton tyres.

Neuton is made by YHI who manufacture tyres for Yokohama, Enkei rims, etc...Widely present in the car world...
Old 16th September 2009, 23:27   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I dont trust them. They may be made by YHI, but somehow, I dont like to trust no name brands. For some reason I would much rather have a Maxxis or a Hankook or a Kumho. But no neutons for me please!

I dont know if YHI actually manufacture tyres forYokohama. I know they are the international distributors for Yoko. Doubt if they are into manufacturing of tyres. I know that they make lots of alloy wheels. For Enkei, OZ, BBS and Apollo!

Edit: Found this. They do NOT manufacture tyres. They just distribute it.

Quote:
Being a distributor of Yokohama tyres for more than 30 years, we have forged a strong business relationship with them. We have been appointed as Yokohama’s authorized distributor in Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei, Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar, Indonesia and China. In addition, we also have a 10% stake in Yokohama’s manufacturing facility in Hangzhou and a 49% joint venture stake in Yokohama Tire Sales (Shanghai) Co Ltd which handles the distribution of Yokohama tyres in the PRC.
The other key tyre brands we are carry are Nankang Tyres from Taiwan, Nexen from Korea, Neuton, Archilles and Accelera from Indonesia, J.K. Tyres from India and many others. We also distribute Enkei, OZ, Konig, 5-zigen and Advanti Racing range of alloy wheels. For commercial industrial products, we represent Hitachi, CSB, Vision and Delkor brands of industrial batteries and EZGO golf buggies.
And no, I do not trust Nexen, Accelera or Nankang!

That is my opinion mate! If you know some people using these tyres without a problem and they have decent grip and comfort levels and you are ok trying it out, go ahead!

Anyway, the A Drive R1 in 235/45 R17 will cost about 7k per tyre.
Old 16th September 2009, 23:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I dont trust them. They may be made by YHI, but somehow, I dont like to trust no name brands. For some reason I would much rather have a Maxxis or a Hankook or a Kumho. But no neutons for me please!

I dont know if YHI actually manufacture tyres forYokohama. I know they are the international distributors for Yoko. Doubt if they are into manufacturing of tyres. I know that they make lots of alloy wheels. For Enkei, OZ, BBS and Apollo!

Edit: Found this. They do NOT manufacture tyres. They just distribute it.

And no, I do not trust Nexen, Accelera or Nankang!

That is my opinion mate! If you know some people using these tyres without a problem and they have decent grip and comfort levels and you are ok trying it out, go ahead!

Anyway, the A Drive R1 in 235/45 R17 will cost about 7k per tyre.
Thanks for the quick quote on A drives...I've just e-mailed my GF in Singapore to find out some info from YHI about Neuton tyres. Just that I'm getting a good deal and I'm open to trying new things.

Read a review saying that the Neuton NT5000s are great tyres above 5 deg C so I guess they'll do well here in India.

A drive R1s seem good at only 7K a tyre, are they good comfort tyres? Again I'm not looking a sport tyre hence not keen on shelling out 12-13 for grippy tyres, I need regular commuting tyres with occational limited spirited driving.
Old 17th September 2009, 00:11   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes. They are marketed as somewhat comfort tyres. They are supposed to be pretty silent.
Old 17th September 2009, 00:53   #28
Team-BHP Support

Why would you want to upsize the rim! Keep the rim stock. Install a set of wider tyres and make sure that the aspect ratio is in proportion so as to avoid dropping the height of the car. 225/55 R16" is the best bet. You have a variety of brands to choose from depending on your budget. Michelins and Contis are the best. I wouldn't recommend Good Years or Yokos.
Old 17th September 2009, 01:44   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Why would you want to upsize the rim! Keep the rim stock. Install a set of wider tyres and make sure that the aspect ratio is in proportion so as to avoid dropping the height of the car. 225/55 R16" is the best bet. You have a variety of brands to choose from depending on your budget. Michelins and Contis are the best. I wouldn't recommend Good Years or Yokos.
He;s mentioned that the OEM rims are 15".

I also wouldnt recommend Goodyears, but I would totally recommend the Yokos because they make superb tyres and are pretty good VFM(most of the time! Dont bring the Advan series into the VFM discussion!).

Anyway, all of us have our opinions.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:26   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyneverdie View Post
Hey guys will make this quick , need new tires for an accord V6- stock is 205/60/r16 .
Car does alot of belgaum-mumbai-goa-delhi runs.
Need very good tires which can take village roads/stones etc AND do 200kph on the highway for hours - with great grip, safety and braking performance.

What are my upsize options and the accord V6 manual clearly says dont upsize tires and rims as that will lead to possible abs etc FAILURE !
So whats with that?
Need good help fast !
Please and thank you

PS :
The accord V6 manual clearly says dont upsize tires and rims as that will lead to possible abs etc FAILURE !

This scares me talk to me someone.
Cheers

PS2: No low profile please
Quote:
He;s mentioned that the OEM rims are 15".

Anyway, all of us have our opinions.
The OE fitment rims on the Accord are 16" not 15". He has also mentioned that he just wants to change the tyre and that he wouldn't want lower profile tyres
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks