Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2018, 08:32   #226

re: DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
Do I need to get it checked by any other tyre shop and get it repaired with a mushroom patch? Or is the plug good to go ? I do drive on highways occassionaly, so want to ensure the tyre is fixed properly
It's been several months now and haven't had any issues. If you are still unsure about unleashing yourself on highways, better to go to your balancing/alignment place if that's roughly due and get them to have a look. Should be fine though.
pillionrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 01:28   #227
BHPian

Two punctures very close to each other. Is it dangerous?

Hi, recently about a month back, one of the tubeless tyres of my car went flat. I went to fix it and there were 2 punctures actually very close at a distance of 1 cm. Should this be of concern to me?

The reason I am asking is, when I checked it last week, I could see the seal visible from outside and the area felt like slightly swollen.

I haven't touched speeds above 60kmph so far after the puncture. Now I am going on a long drive and I am worried whether the tyre will be able to hold up.

The tyre I am using is Apollo Amazer 3G, 3 years and 25K Kms old. Any thoughts?
Old 1st September 2018, 02:16   #228
BHPian

Re: Two punctures very close to each other. Is it dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowes View Post
Hi, recently about a month back, one of the tubeless tyres of my car went flat. I went to fix it and there were 2 punctures actually very close at a distance of 1 cm. Should this be of concern to me?

The reason I am asking is, when I checked it last week, I could see the seal visible from outside and the area felt like slightly swollen.

I haven't touched speeds above 60kmph so far after the puncture. Now I am going on a long drive and I am worried whether the tyre will be able to hold up.

It will be best if you get the puncture repaired from the inside. Take the tyre to MRF Store where they will dismount the tyre from the rim and patch the puncture from the inside which is a safer and better way to plug a puncture. If the holes made by the intruding objects are very thin then both can be covered using a single patch from inside. Or else, a mushroom patch will have to be inserted.

Hope this helps .

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 07:08   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, recently about a month back, one of the tubeless tyres of my car went flat. I went to fix it and there were 2 punctures actually very close at a distance of 1 cm.

The tyre must be scrapped if you have two punctures 1 cm apart. 1 cm is very close to each other.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 09:29   #230
BHPian

What can be done to avoid punctures? It is logically not possible to avoid roads with a lot of pot holes or terrains causing the puncture.
What is the shelf life of a tyre with regards to punctures? I had 6 punctures at different places and a valve disfunction. Can the tyre be called for a change or can be driven with the fix?
Old 1st September 2018, 09:43   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
What can be done to avoid punctures? It is logically not possible to avoid roads with a lot of pot holes or terrains causing the puncture.
What is the shelf life of a tyre with regards to punctures? I had 6 punctures at different places and a valve disfunction. Can the tyre be called for a change or can be driven with the fix?
This is very subjective and there is no definite answer.
If you have lost 50% of your tyre thread and have many punctures, then it's time to renew it.
Also tyre age matters. Ideally age of a tyre is max. 6 years (for safety) irrespective of the kilometres driven, especially in a hot and humid country like ours.
This is just advise and not anything concrete.
Old 1st September 2018, 11:34   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
This is very subjective and there is no definite answer.
If you have lost 50% of your tyre thread and have many punctures, then it's time to renew it.
Also tyre age matters. Ideally age of a tyre is max. 6 years (for safety) irrespective of the kilometres driven, especially in a hot and humid country like ours.
This is just advise and not anything concrete.
Yes. Mine has been run for 11 months and 14000 kms. Have had two flat tyres. The frequency of topping up nitrogen has gone sporadic in the first few months of ownership.
Just that when I see the puncture guy put it a sub standard piece of rubber in it, I wonder if that's the correct solution to fix it. Definitely cannot keep changing the tyres for every puncture.
Is there any chemical or spray which atleast reduces the chances of being punctured?
VWAllstar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 11:49   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Is there any chemical or spray which atleast reduces the chances of being punctured?
There are many tyre protector liquids available in the market. You can search this forum as well. However these liquids are mainly to be used on new tyres and not older ones which have already had punctures. So next time you change your tyres you can use the liquid as well. There is one problem. If you have in built tpms inside the tyres then you can't use this liquid.
Old 1st September 2018, 14:06   #234
BHPian

Could you share a picture of the tyre with the punctures please. I would be very worried about two punctures 1 cm apart on the same tyre - leaving a whole 2-3 cm segment compromised.

I would put the affected tyre away as the spare and use it only during emergencies!

Quote:
Also, your tyres having run 25k km, you may use this as an excuse to get a set of new tyres for your car! Maybe upsize and go Michelins??
Old 1st September 2018, 17:48   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When it comes to to a damaged tyre there's only one thing that you must do. Replace it. The lives of the driver and passengers depend on a tyre performing well. 2 punctures just 1 cm apart means the tyre carcass between those two punctures is probably compromised. Plus the tyre has run 25K kms which means wear and tear have already taken their toll on it.

Consider this - you'd be spending 4-5k on a tyre replacement. Isn't that worth the peace of mind and assurance that a new tyre won't give way? To me this decision is a no-brainer.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 19:52   #236
BHPian

Sorry for the late reply. I have swapped the tyre with the Stepney's tyre for now. Thank you..
Old 10th November 2018, 17:13   #237
BHPian

Anyone knows how much a mushroom type repair costs in Gurgaon and a V.F.M. place to get them done? I drive on highways so was wondering if those will be better as this thread says its a temporary solution although all puncture repairmen use this method only.
Old 12th November 2018, 10:54   #238
BHPian

Mushroom Patch - Available in all MRF Tyres & Service outlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Anyone knows how much a mushroom type repair costs in Gurgaon and a V.F.M. place to get them done? I drive on highways so was wondering if those will be better as this thread says its a temporary solution although all puncture repairmen use this method only.
Walk into the nearest MRF Tyres & Service outlet. All of them are supposed to be equipped to repair punctures using the mushroom patch.

https://www.mrftyresandservice.com/about

DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-mrf.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers !

(Picture courtesy : MRF website)
Ironhide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 10:12   #239
BHPian

Hello,
The front left tyre of my Baleno got a puncture from a screw. Since I had a tpms, the leak was immediately noted and completed a short drive with a little extra air pumped in. I had a repair kit with me and repaired the puncture without any problem. But after that I am beginning to worry since I could not judge whether the location of the puncture is in the side wall or not. It is right at the position where the tread and the side wall meet. Any opinion / suggestion welcome. Attaching the pics of the repaired tyre.
The tyre has done about 20000km.
Thanks.
Prasad.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-1.jpg  

DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-2.jpg  

DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-3.jpg  

Old 10th December 2018, 11:33   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9216 View Post
It is right at the position where the tread and the side wall meet. Any opinion / suggestion welcome.
Puncture location is on tyre shoulder. So, it's okay for regular usage. Puritans might warn to use it as a spare though.

Quote:
I had a repair kit with me and repaired the puncture without any problem.
You have done a good job with repair kit. However, would prefer to cut out protruding portion of repair strip with a sharp cutter.

Most Viewed