Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2018, 00:47   #241
BHPian

re: DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!

Thanks Sukiwa.
For the moment I am deciding to keep using it, but shift it to the rear.
Old 28th December 2018, 03:46   #242
BHPian

My bike has tubeless tyre in rear and has around 4 to 5 punctures which has been fixed by quick puncture kit. Problem is I keep loosing air. Every week the tyre pressure is reduced to 26-28 from 36. Also I noticed that the air starts leaking from sides of puncture sealant after 2-3 months and sealant needs a replacement. Even with that air does not stay at full pressure. I have reached out to multiple repair shops including MRF, CEAT etc. Some suggest to put mushroom puncture while others suggest to change tyre. Some have also suggested to put a tube.
I was thinking of going with the tube option but the same size tube is not available. Tyre size is 140/60/R17. MRF guys have suggested to go with 120.... something size tube which I am still hesitant.
Is there some tried and tested way to fixing this issue. Tyre is 3 years old with 18k run and still has enough thickness.
Old 28th December 2018, 09:49   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
Every week the tyre pressure is reduced to 26-28 from 36.
8-10 psi loss in a week is alarming. Please change tyre at the earliest.

Quote:
Also I noticed that the air starts leaking from sides of puncture sealant after 2-3 months and sealant needs a replacement.
If this isn't working for you, please move away from using sealant. Generally speaking, having multiple elements creates a problem for troubleshooting.

Quote:
I was thinking of going with the tube option but the same size tube is not available. Tyre size is 140/60/R17. MRF guys have suggested to go with 120.
As long as tyre & tube diameter (17" in your case) match and tube uses Butyl rubber, it's fine. Tube can expand to fill the width of tyre.
On the other hand, putting a tube in tubeless tyre would also mean removing tubeless valve to accommodate tube. Valve will have to bought again when you change tubeless tyre later.

Quote:
Tyre is 3 years old with 18k run and still has enough thickness.
Which brand/model is this tyre? Hope it hasn't developed surface level cracks & still offers good grip.
Old 15th January 2019, 12:49   #244
BHPian

So two of my rims are leaking air through the sidewall and rim joining area. The Puncture guys have told the only solution is to use a tube. For 1 rim i did buy a tube as i had to drive my car and the other i just asked them to clean the rim and tire which had accumulated grime over time and for now the leakage seemed to stop although i did not install that tire and kept it as spare while using the one in which a tube was put in my car.

What is the solution to this ? Is it the Rim that causes it although there are no visible bends or its the tire which is showing its age prematurely at just over 3.5 years from manufacture. I have steel wheels and not alloys.
Old 30th January 2019, 22:11   #245
BHPian

So one of car tire seems to have suffered a sidecut cut which is slowly leaking air. The tire is 3.5 years old and that tire may have run 20k kms for sure. The puncture guys are recommending to put a tube only which costs 500 rs. Is there any way to patch it up and use it as a spare in emergencies but tubeless only ? any cost estimate for same in Gurgaon/Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curios View Post
I was quoted Rs 200 or 250 for the patch. FYI.
Where are these patches done ?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st January 2019 at 09:40. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post if re-posting within 30 minutes. Thanks.
Old 14th May 2019, 11:18   #246
BHPian

Quote:
My bike has tubeless tyre in rear and has around 4 to 5 punctures which has been fixed by quick puncture kit. Problem is I keep loosing air.
In Aug18 itself I got the tube installed due to air leak issue and now it is almost 8-9 months and I have not faced any problem. Now air is retained well, I need to check once a month. Mostly it reduces by 2-3 points only which is fine.
I had to install a smaller size tube as same size tube (as my tyre) is not available in market.
I would recommend others also, if they are facing air leak issue with tubeless tyre, which is quite bothering than go ahead and install a tube.
Old 8th July 2020, 11:32   #247
BHPian

Re: DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!

I had a puncture in my tyre by a nail. The puncture site is very obvious. I want to fix this by myself. Can someone suggest a good branded puncture repair kit that i can buy on Amazon, FK or somewhere else?

The ones on Amazon and FK that i have come across appeared like cheap, local stuff and i suspect their quality. Not that the road side puncture guys use branded stuff. But, if i plan to do it myself i might as well do it with a good branded kit that gives longevity of the fixed puncture and quality tools.

Surprised to see none of the major tyre brands sell puncture repair kits. Is it that they don't recommend getting punctures fixed and instead suggest tyre change even for a small puncture? Probably because they would be hitting their own sales if they sold these kits.

Last edited by bharatbits : 8th July 2020 at 11:36.
Old 21st August 2020, 21:00   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
I had a puncture in my tyre by a nail. The puncture site is very obvious. I want to fix this by myself. Can someone suggest a good branded puncture repair kit that i can buy on Amazon, FK or somewhere else?

The ones on Amazon and FK that i have come across appeared like cheap, local stuff and i suspect their quality. Not that the road side puncture guys use branded stuff. But, if i plan to do it myself i might as well do it with a good branded kit that gives longevity of the fixed puncture and quality tools.

Surprised to see none of the major tyre brands sell puncture repair kits. Is it that they don't recommend getting punctures fixed and instead suggest tyre change even for a small puncture? Probably because they would be hitting their own sales if they sold these kits.

(Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump)
Cross posting my post from other thread,
I've been using this kit, repaired 4 punctures so far, 1 on Innova, 2 on Wagon-R and 1 on Activa, they are holding pretty good without any leaks so far.

https://www.amazon.in/amiciAuto-Tubeless-Tyre-Puncture-Repair/dp/B01EXK1S2G/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=tubeless+tyre+punctu re+repair+kit&qid=1597745174&s=automotive&sr=1-10#customerReviews
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 13:56   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
If anyone is wondering how the strip is removed from the Insertion tool, it's because the tool has a slit at the bottom which allows the strip to stay inside the tyre which the tool is extracted. Demonstrated below:
Attachment 52796 Hope this helps!
I really liked this part of the explanation, wondering under what circumstances would the insertion tool start to pull the rubber strip out of the hole as its drawn out? Since this release happens through a slit on the tool as explained, wondering if ever that slit doesn't loosen up enough to leave its grip on the rubber strip. I can imagine if the reamer tool isn't used well this can happen as the slot becomes tighter. Any other situations where this can go wrong? Is the time important too, like the adhesive in the rubber takes a few seconds to stick inside the tire, and offers more resistance while being pulled out. I might sound cranky here , but what is I have just one strip left, and no other alternative to get going on the road. I cant afford to screw this up
Old 6th December 2020, 09:13   #250
BHPian

Re: Two punctures very close to each other. Is it dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
It will be best if you get the puncture repaired from the inside. Take the tyre to MRF Store where they will dismount the tyre from the rim and patch the puncture from the inside which is a safer and better way to plug a puncture. If the holes made by the intruding objects are very thin then both can be covered using a single patch from inside. Or else, a mushroom patch will have to be inserted.

Hope this helps .

Cheers !
Very very grateful for this advice. My Honda Jazz developed a slow puncture. When I replaced the offending piece with the stepney, I found a metal spring that has created a small hole.

My local tyre shop here in Delhi tried to fob me off with the regular plug based fix. Having reading Ironside’s detailed posts I insisted on the mushroom fix. He tried telling me that Goodyear tyres cannot take that fix. And then asked me to look elsewhere!

I found another shop that did the job. Because it was a small hole, they patched it with a single patch from insight. They advised me that the hole will have to be considerably enlarged to accommodate the plug.

I also discovered why most tyre shops will not want to do this job. For the glue to stick, the chap spent a good 15 mins gently scraping the tire from inside. The whole thing took over 30 minutes. The Ustad there also made sure that they got it right.

Very happy that I got a proper fix done. And very grateful to Ironhide and this thread for the insights.
Old 6th December 2020, 09:40   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bike has tubeless tyre in rear and has around 4 to 5 punctures which has been fixed by quick puncture kit. Problem is I keep loosing air. Every week the tyre pressure is reduced to 26-28 from 36. Also I noticed that the air starts leaking from sides of puncture sealant after 2-3 months and sealant needs a replacement. Even with that air does not stay at full pressure.
A puncture that doesn't seal after repair, usually does not seal even after re-repair. I have experienced this on my two wheeler. For the re-repair, my punctures shop did not use mushroom head but he fixed a patch inside after replacing the puncture strip twice. So the patch was a re-re-re-repair.

I know, 3 years and 18,000 km is not much but replace the tyre and move on.

Putting a tube serves the purpose but I will recommend this only as a standby till the funds can be allocated for a new tyre. We shall not "fit a tube and forget".

If your bike is used for daily chores and work, there is no need to try different size IMO.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 6th December 2020 at 09:47.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 10:04   #252
Senior - BHPian

Although the first few posts clearly explain the process of fixing a tubeless tyre puncture, here is a useful YouTube video depicting the same.

Please pay special attention towards the end of the video, which shows how the tyre is fixed from inside (inside view of the process).

ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 10:47   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Although the first few posts clearly explain the process of fixing a tubeless tyre puncture, here is a useful YouTube video depicting the same.

Please pay special attention towards the end of the video, which shows how the tyre is fixed from inside (inside view of the process).

https://Youtu.be/nCwWPlaghfs
Thanks for posting such a good video (inside view of the strip insertion).

All the time, I was visualising that it would be two legs of the strips packed in one hole. But actually, it forms a kind of mushroom head from inside. Great.

Seeing this, I feel that the mushroom head won't be much of an improvement over the normal strip.

And the video shows rubber adhesive being applied to the strip before insertion. IIRC, the strips that we get here are already coated with the adhesive. I have never seen the fellow applying extra adhesive.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 14:29   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
A puncture that doesn't seal after repair, usually does not seal even after re-repair. I have experienced this on my two wheeler. ......
As I mentioned later in the post that I had got a tube installed. Now its more than an year and I have reached 28k KMs and since I have installed the tube(18k KMs), I had no troubles at all. As tyre pressure is maintained, I have not got a single puncture. Air reduction is negligible. And I do not feel any difference in driving.

I know if puncture happens, I will be in trouble, but single day trouble is better than everyday issue.
I had tried multiple puncture repair options in the tubeless tyre by nothing helped.
dextor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 14:51   #255
BHPian

Noob question:

In case of pneumatic tyres, the guys repairing usually locate the puncture on tube first and then locate the nail by running the palm in the tyre's innards. They get to know the approximate location based on the hole in tube.

How can one check the location of very small nails, metal pieces etc in tubeless tyres from outside?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks