Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2009, 10:22   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
... when I checked the tyre pressure, the front tyres read 37 psi!! Thr recommended tyre pressure on the Apollo Acelere 155/70 R13 is 30 psi.
Therefore I asked the tyre guy tp chek, suspecting there might be a puncture, and sure enough there were small punctures on both the front tyres.
Whoa, there! You've lost me.
Front tyres showing 37 psi. Because of which you suspected punctures?!

Front tyres actually had punctures! What's going on?
Old 9th March 2009, 10:27   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Whoa, there! You've lost me.
Front tyres showing 37 psi. Because of which you suspected punctures?!

Front tyres actually had punctures! What's going on?
Hi Anup,
Possibly I worded it wrong. Front tyres were showing abnormally high pressure, so I asked the guy to check whether there was anything wrong (since the rear tyres were showing normal 31 psi). He showed me points on both front tyres where small stone chips had lodged rather deep, and therefore he said that the same needed to be repaired. Im a newbie with tubeleess tyres, and therefore I asked him to do the needful so that I could at least drive back home.
Now, after this repair work was done, I have been observing very quick decrease in pressure, as in overnight decrease of 4-5 psi!
Whats wrong?
Old 9th March 2009, 10:59   #78
Senior - BHPian

I'd imagine there are small punctures on each tyre!

The other reason for leaks could be bead leaks. Are you using alloy rims or steel?

Are you measuring all pressures on cold tyres, as in first thing in the morning? (Certainly with less than about one km of driving).
Old 9th March 2009, 11:04   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I'd imagine there are small punctures on each tyre!

The other reason for leaks could be bead leaks. Are you using alloy rims or steel?

Are you measuring all pressures on cold tyres, as in first thing in the morning? (Certainly with less than about one km of driving).
No these are stock rims and tyres, no alloys or tyre upsizes.

And it is not cold tyre pressure, I measured it this morning after about 2.5 kms of driving.
So in this case what should I do? Should I have all tyres checked at a tyre shop? And why would the front tyres (which were repaired just 3 days back) leak again? Im quite baffled :(
Old 9th March 2009, 11:11   #80
Senior - BHPian

Arindam, you'd have to get the rims checked for 'trueness' at a tyre shop.
It is likely that the punctures were not correctly repaired.

For future reference, you might want to check out these puncture preventative systems, like Slime or Ultraseal.
There is a thread on these. I'm trying to find it!

Ah, here it is: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...does-work.html

Last edited by anupmathur : 9th March 2009 at 11:13.
Old 9th March 2009, 17:18   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Hi Anup,
Possibly I worded it wrong. Front tyres were showing abnormally high pressure, so I asked the guy to check whether there was anything wrong (since the rear tyres were showing normal 31 psi). He showed me points on both front tyres where small stone chips had lodged rather deep, and therefore he said that the same needed to be repaired. Im a newbie with tubeleess tyres, and therefore I asked him to do the needful so that I could at least drive back home.
Now, after this repair work was done, I have been observing very quick decrease in pressure, as in overnight decrease of 4-5 psi!
Whats wrong?
See, this could be the main problem - most people want to relax and wait till someone else fixes their problem. Its possible that the tyre guy might have created problems where none really existed.

Where had these stone chips been lodged? Did they actually damage the rubber or were they just in the treads? If they did indeed damage the rubber... how did he attempt to repair them??

As for your tyres showing abnormally higher pressure, you may have measured them with different gauges at different places. Very few gauges are accurate. In all probablity both readings were wrong. Lol. Or as mentioned before, you may have checked air once on a hotter tyre and once when cold.
Old 24th March 2009, 17:30   #82
BHPian

Great Thread

@iraghava,

Thanks for the guide, undoubtedly the best online. A couple of hours ago, I purchased a puncture repair kit and was really looking forward to a good guide. And your post's solved my problem.
Old 26th March 2009, 14:10   #83
BANNED

Could anyone please tell me correct Air pressure for Estilo.I have been filling 32 in all tyres, i think that written at the door sticker. Please advice thanks
Old 1st July 2009, 13:11   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
If anyone is wondering how the strip is removed from the Insertion tool, it's because the tool has a slit at the bottom which allows the strip to stay inside the tyre which the tool is extracted. Demonstrated below:
Attachment 52796

Attachment 52797

You can now trim if you think the strip is protruding out too much:
Attachment 52798

Now, you're all set to go! Just fill up the tyre up to the desired pressure & check for leaks & all is good!

Just a note of caution though, since Puncture repair strips are available seperately from the kit (So you don't have to buy the kit again & again) do make sure you buy the original strips not the fake ones available. Both are shown in the picture below:

Original & Fake
Attachment 52799

Hope this helps!
We all should thank Iraghava for showing the method of repairing the Tubeless tyres, But it is not complete. Once you have followed the procedure as shown by Iraghava, you should cut the remaining part of the stip from inside & buff the inner liner of the tyre, where the rubberstrip can be seen. Apply a tube repairing patch on this buffed area, so that the hole is completely hidden from inside of the tyre.

The reason to follow this is explained by an example

Take a pen and pass it through a paper. The hole made by a pen is not round. In the same way when you insert the rubber strip in the puncture - hole, it will never take the exact space that the nail had take. There will always be some very very minute space left which will make the air pass inside the tyre. When the air goes inside the tyre, it will come out of the tyre from very small holes (called pin holes)

Most of the tyre users have faced this problem, and have requested tyre manufacturers to replace the tyres under warranty. The inner lining of the tubeless tyre is air tight. If there is a very small hole left inside the tyre, like in the above case, the air will keep on leaking. Thisis not covered under warranty from the tyre producer.

I suggest all users to ask for the tyre repairer to apply a tube repairing patch on the inside of the tyre to completely seal the inner liner of the tubeless tyre.
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:15   #85
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sanjay,

Thanks for the valuable additions. I have a DIY kit, the guidance from Iraghava & yourself will be of great help when I have the ocassion to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay_delhi View Post
We all should thank Iraghava for showing the method of repairing the Tubeless tyres, But it is not complete. Once you have followed the procedure as shown by Iraghava, you should cut the remaining part of the stip from inside & buff the inner liner of the tyre, where the rubberstrip can be seen. Apply a tube repairing patch on this buffed area, so that the hole is completely hidden from inside of the tyre.
Old 15th August 2009, 10:56   #86
BHPian

Where are these repair kits available from in mumbai ?
Old 19th September 2009, 08:29   #87
BHPian

Dear Iraghava,

The article is very useful. Thanks for sharing this information.

Regards,
Raghu Lakshman
Old 5th October 2009, 18:44   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
If anyone is wondering how the strip is removed from the Insertion tool, it's because the tool has a slit at the bottom which allows the strip to stay inside the tyre which the tool is extracted. Demonstrated below:
=================
Hope this helps!

Very nice photographs and detailed explanation of how the tubeless tyre puncture can be attended.

Indeed Very useful.
Thanks
Old 6th October 2009, 21:54   #89
BHPian

Gratitude

really neat. the time you spent on this guide will definitely help many. cheers
Old 11th October 2009, 12:48   #90
BHPian

very helpful specially since it is with the help of pics. One might as well carry a foot pump around in their boot if u are gonna repair the puncture on ur own. U need air at the end of the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
really neat. the time you spent on this guide will definitely help many. cheers

Most Viewed