Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2008, 12:57   #1
BHPian

Tyre life-span dilemma

Hey Frenz, I am attaching the pics of the tyres on my Zen 2001. I want to know how long will these tyres last. My car has done 51500 on the Odo. got it second hand in May when it was around 47k on the odo. I wanted to know how many KMS are left on the tyre. I do about 25kms a day approx. Please help me with this Also can i use these tyres on alloy rims as i'm planning to put second hand alloys on the car? If then how much shud i get if i exchange the OEM rims and these tyres.

I know there are a lot of question above but thats how confused i am
Please help Frenz.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre life-span dilemma-1011_095817.jpg  

Tyre life-span dilemma-1011_095834.jpg  

Tyre life-span dilemma-1011_095845.jpg  

Tyre life-span dilemma-1011_095857.jpg  

Old 12th October 2008, 01:23   #2
BHPian

Those looks pretty bald to me. Get them changed ASAP.
Old 12th October 2008, 09:59   #3
BHPian

@Flipsyde: Thanks for the response buddy, Appreciated!!! I would love to have a few more expert responses from to make up my mind.
Also on these rims can i fit any 13"tyres ????
Old 12th October 2008, 10:44   #4
BHPian

Hi all, was reading around and found the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...yre-sizes.html

The results of the test in my case was, the thread wall hardly reached the Hindi lettering 'Rupiya' or you can say just about 1/4 of the lettering is getting covered.

Does this mean i need a new set ASAP as Flipsyde said ?
Old 12th October 2008, 11:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Get rid of the tyres. They are gonna die on you anytime.
You'll be lucky if you get 400 bucks for all rims and tyres.
Be very careful while buying second hand alloys. Check thoroughly. Most second hand alloys are sold damaged (read bent out of shape) and your car could vibrate with these alloys at speeds above 100kmph.

What size is the current tyre - width / tyre wall height / rim size ?
Old 12th October 2008, 11:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

For City Roads - OK for another 2-3k
For highway drives - Not OK
In Rains - Not OK
Old 12th October 2008, 12:43   #7
BHPian

Thanks for the insight guys. The tyres currently on are 145/80 R12 71S and rims are 4j OEm ones i guess...
Old 12th October 2008, 13:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Look for the TWI (tread wear indicator) on your tyres; all tyres come with it. It is an indicator by the manufacturer that suggests when to replace the tyres. Normally, if you are doing only city driving then you can pull through for another couple of thousand kms as Dadu said. But is a total no-no on highways and during monsoons.

Coming to second hand alloys, normally people don't change alloys unless one of the rims gets damaged and you need to change the set of 4 since you don't get a single piece matching the one that got damaged. Preferably go for new alloys with tubeless tyres.
Old 12th October 2008, 13:29   #9
BHPian

Also remember this : Just because a tyre has tread left in it doesn't mean there is an equivalent amount of grip available too. My Bridgestone S322's were far from bald @ 45,000+ kms. In fact, it had healthy tread left. Buttttttttttttttttt the grippy rubber was all but gone....slipping & sliding in the Vtec was everyday business!!
Old 12th October 2008, 13:35   #10
BHPian

Thanks for the comments guys, one more doubt i had is can i fit 13" tyres on the current rims. the tyres are 145/80 R12 71S no isea on the rim specs but they seem OEM ??????
Old 12th October 2008, 14:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

how to you expect to put a 13" tyre on a 12" rim?
just go to your tyre guy and try out options.

BTW what is your fixation with 13" tyres? Do you have spare ones lying around?
Old 12th October 2008, 16:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

If you ask me, those tyres are ok even for highway driving (tread wise). But then if they were made in 2001, then it will be risky, as you never know... the rubber might give way and you may have a blow out at high speed.

Till very recently, I was driving the OEM GoodYears since last 6 - 7 years... even at high speeds on highway... and in the current monsoons too! In the last couple of years, the tread had significantly worn off... but never had a significant issue with the grip. How you drive, your bearings, the way you brake, etc, will also play a big factor.

Actually, the skidding issue will only crop up on water-logged roads, when the tyre can no longer pump out water fast enough. On dry roads, tread hardly plays a role in roadholding.

But then thats my case, in brief. Yours may not be similar... also you have MRFs. They arent known for their grip even when new (havent used them personally though). You should be able to tell after driving what kind of grip you are getting in various conditions. If you aren't good at it, you are safer off just changing the tyres. If you are good at it, and know what you are doing, then you could save some $ by using those tyres for some more time.
Old 12th October 2008, 16:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
how to you expect to put a 13" tyre on a 12" rim?
just go to your tyre guy and try out options.

BTW what is your fixation with 13" tyres? Do you have spare ones lying around?
Yeah Tejas, I was wondering the same . Anyways, about 13" , I wanted slightly bigger tyres without modification to the existing etuo if possible and the RIGHT UPSIZE Thread also recommends the same size. Do you and anyone has better options ? getting Esteem size rims and tyres ?
Old 12th October 2008, 17:54   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

i guess you can upgrade to 155/70/13
go to the tyre guy, get them fixed, turn the steering full in both directions to see if the tyres are not touching anywhere (even the rear bumper).
If fine, go ahead.
Don't buy second hand alloys IMO. rather drive for another 2000kms, save money and get new alloys
Old 12th October 2008, 20:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Another important point.
Even if there is tread depth left, the steel belts of these MRF ZVTS' are known to prematurely bend out of shape. So, no matter what balancing you do, you will have wobbling/steering vibration problems.

Truth is Alloys and tyres cost a lot. Prices have increased lately by 10-20% too.
So, I would suggest you save up around 25k. And splurge on tyres and rims giving tyres the utmost priority if you do some spirited driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks