Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2008, 17:30   #1
BHPian

upgrade blues?

hey friends
i have a tyre related query, lets say if a car has 14 inch wheels and the shoulder of the car tyre is of 3 inches in total the diameter of the car tyre becomes17 inches, now lets say i change these tyres to allys which are 15 inches and also change the tyre to low profile which is has got 2 inches of shoulder, then the total diameter of the tyre+wheel becomes again 17 inches, (this is an example of approximations), now my query is that the total diameter of the tyre remains the same that is 17 inches and the rolling surface area remains the same too and if im correct this is called upgrading?right ? so will there be any difference in the performance of the car because the rolling are in contact of the road and the total diameter of the tyre + wheel remains the same?? i can understand if we use a better low profile tyre it will provide some extra grip and benefits along with increased road noise but the real question is that in this scenario has anything really changed, i mean substantially??
Old 30th October 2008, 18:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

What car is my next question ? . Why generalize your question when all you have to do is disclose the model of the car you are referring to. Life gets much easier.

PS : No offence, we tbhp'ians don't shoot in the dark !!

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 30th October 2008 at 18:56.
Old 30th October 2008, 19:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

MN - Read this thread to clear your queries: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-your-car.html
Old 30th October 2008, 20:43   #4
BHPian

Total contact area (or rolling surface area as you call it) increases because of the increase in width of the tyre. The dia,circ remains almost similar but the benefit is usually from moving to a wider tyre and going low profile.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks