Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2005, 21:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Wrongly positioned tyres??!

I didn't wanna go off topic in the Rio Ford Mondeo Thread, so decided to make a new one here. As Shan2nu pointed out, in the red Rio Mondeo pic, you can see that the tyres were opposite, in the sense, instead of V shaped, they were A shaped.

Then I was thinking about "Rotating Tyres" -

Now this guy may have made a mistake while rotating those tyres. Coz when you shift the left tyre to the right side or vice versa, you need to turn it, right??! And they must've not done that.

Now,

Does it make a difference in dry conditions??
What would happen in the wet??

Last edited by Gordon : 7th April 2005 at 21:55.
Old 7th April 2005, 22:02   #2
BHPian

thats wierd. dont know whether he must have done it in purpose. i would surely not do anything like that.
Old 7th April 2005, 22:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

Does it make a difference?

YES!! An immediate difference.

It happened to me on my Astra. The guy fitted the tyre on the wrong side against the direction of rotation. Within 3 minutes of driving I noticed a wierd feel from the steering and a vibration from the wheels.

Sure enough, wheels mounted wrongly.

A driver has to be pretty numb in his senses not to detect an improperly fitted tyre.
Old 7th April 2005, 22:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you look at the left figure in the daigram below, it shows exactly, how a set of 5 directional/unidirectional tyres should be rotated. Follow this, and you'll never have a problem.

The spare should always go on the side, that makes it rotate in the right direction.

Shan2nu
Old 7th April 2005, 22:43   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The spare should always go on the side, that makes it rotate in the right direction.
Not sure what you mean by this?

If the tyre is a uni-directional one, it can only be mounted on one side of the car correctly. To mount it correctly on the other side you would have to physically take the tyre off the rim and flip it around. Thats why your spare should not be a uni-directional tyre.
Old 7th April 2005, 22:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by this?
What i meant to say is that, the first time you rotate your tyres, always make sure the spare goes on the correct side.

Coz, it's possible that people might look at the diagram and think that a unidirectional spare should always go on the right hand side (as shown in the diagram).

Just wanted to make it clear. Once you've figured it out the first time, you can stick to the same pattern, for the rest of the tyre's life.

Shan2nu
Old 7th April 2005, 23:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

So maybe in the case of the Mondeo, the guy rotated the tyres. [these are unidirectional tyres, right??]

Does a tyre fit on a rim anyhow or there is only one way you can fit a tyre on a rim??
To be more specific > You fit a tyre on a rim. Can you remove the tyre, turn it in the opposite direction and fit it on the same rim??

Please forgive me for my ignorance and I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to ask.
Old 7th April 2005, 23:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does a tyre fit on a rim anyhow or there is only one way you can fit a tyre on a rim??
To be more specific > You fit a tyre on a rim. Can you remove the tyre, turn it in the opposite direction and fit it on the same rim??
Yup, you can always do that but, that will require you to get the wheel balanced before you fit them on the car. A wheel allignment would be welcome as well.

Shan2nu
Old 7th April 2005, 23:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

yeah gordon i understood what your are tryin to say and i think that can be done.so one has to be carefull while doin something like that.but when you rotate your tires do you remove only the rubber part or the full wheel including the steel/alloy part. i think while rotating the entire wheel is shifted ... isnt that right??
Old 7th April 2005, 23:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
Can you remove the tyre, turn it in the opposite direction and fit it on the same rim??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Yup, you can always do that but, that will require you to get the wheel balanced before you fit them on the car.
Okay I'm completely confused. Coz in that case, why did Rtech say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
If the tyre is a uni-directional one, it can only be mounted on one side of the car correctly.
You can take the same tyre and mount in on the other side wheel just the way it is.
Old 7th April 2005, 23:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i think while rotating the entire wheel is shifted ... isnt that right??
I'd love to see someone try removing the tyre with the wheel still on the car. LOL

Ofcourse you have to remove the wheel as well.

Shan2nu
Old 7th April 2005, 23:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Gordy, rtech said one side of the car, once it's fitting onto a wheel. But if you're gonna remove the tyre off the wheel and then put it back the other way round, it can be fitted on the other side of the car.

Shan2nu
Old 8th April 2005, 00:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
I'd love to see someone try removing the tyre with the wheel still on the car. LOL

Ofcourse you have to remove the wheel as well.

Shan2nu

hhaha dude i meant remove the wheel AND THEN get the tyre off and then put the tyre on the other alloy extra but i guess it will be abig hassel so they just rotate the entire thing
Old 8th April 2005, 11:37   #14
BHPian

Sorry to ask another question.
I just peeped out my office window - A Red , well done Accent is parked - however , the Tires are 'A' not 'V' . Now if you say that it has been fitted wrong , then what happens if continued like that ?.

Does 'A' instead of 'V' make any difference - mileage , grip etc ?.
I am on my way to check if my tires are fitted OK
Old 8th April 2005, 12:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

hey shan,
i think the spare tire should be fitted such that it will rotate in the right direction for the LHS.as the chances of the LHS tire getting punctured is more .

Quote:
Originally Posted by puthari

am on my way to check if my tires are fitted OK

if you check the tire wall ,there is an arrow which will indicate the direction of rotation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks