Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 17:48   #16
BHPian

[quote=nitinralli;1069276]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Nitinralli - I have a Santro, and there is tyre noise, but no uneven wear and tear of the tyres, so dont understand whats the issue about tyre noise. At 110kmph, which car tyre runs silent?

If you read carefully i wrote "Are you hearing a rolling noice when the car is being driven??". Now where do you see that i have mentioned about any speed here. I have just asked if you hear any rolling noise, i never mentioned about any speed. So please read before commenting on anything.
Hi Nitin, I couldnt observe the rolling sound at low speeds because of city traffic,honking etc. I noticed this rolling noise when I was at Agra highway. And to be very honest, never thought of observing the noise at low speeds.
Old 26th November 2008, 17:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

[quote=coolbareilly;1069354]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post

Hi Nitin, I couldnt observe the rolling sound at low speeds because of city traffic,honking etc. I noticed this rolling noise when I was at Agra highway. And to be very honest, never thought of observing the noise at low speeds.
Ok so if the rolling noise is not there in normal speeds, then most probably its the suspension that needs to be looked on to. Please have it checked as ealry as possiable as it may get worse in future.
Old 27th November 2008, 14:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

[quote=nitinralli;1069276]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Nitinralli - I have a Santro, and there is tyre noise, but no uneven wear and tear of the tyres, so dont understand whats the issue about tyre noise. At 110kmph, which car tyre runs silent?

If you read carefully i wrote "Are you hearing a rolling noice when the car is being driven??". Now where do you see that i have mentioned about any speed here. I have just asked if you hear any rolling noise, i never mentioned about any speed. So please read before commenting on anything.
Hey Nitinralli - You're right, you had not mentioned any speed. However, in reply to your post, Coolbareilli had responded that he hears tyre sound at 110+kmph, thats why I was wondering which tyre ran silent at those speeds. Also, tyre noise at whatever speed depends also on the surface of the road, so its possible to have tyre noise even at low speeds on certain surfaces. What I'd like to know is what problems are attributed to tyre noise at low speeds? Please elaborate.
Old 8th November 2013, 15:18   #19

Re: Uneven wear of tyres on Santro

Hi All,
I have a Santro which is 3 years old and has done 36k kms. Last year, i was facing a lot of pull towards the left and duly notified the service rep at HSS in Chennai and got it corrected. I then visited Lal Tyres, Gopalapuram in Chennai and he suggested that i go for Alloys as all my tyres were in a pretty bad shape and that would have also affected the steel rims. The tyres had worn out along the outer sides.(my car had done about 15k at that point of time on OEM Goodyear tyres). Hence i got alloy rims and Hankook tyres - Optimo K715 165/65 R13. I must admit here that due to my lack of awareness i never bothered to get the alignment checked at the mandated 5k km.
A couple of months back i felt the inner sides of both the rear tyres were again getting worn out and visited Lal Tyres once again. He said the problem is due to me not getting the wheels aligned / balanced for a long time. He suggested that i do away with both my rear tyres and get a couple of new ones. The front Hankook were deployed at the rear and a new set of Michelin - Energy XM2 165/65 R13 were deployed at the front. While performing alignment, he pointed out that the rear wheels' toe was out and suggested i replace the rear beam.
I mentioned the same when i visited the HSS @Sholinganallur but they said its ok and one can drive in this condition. Not satisfied i took the car to a TVS service centre in Ambattur (thats where my office is) and he replaced the bushes - the ones located near the rear axle - and shock absorbers. I once again went for the wheel alignment and the condition was still there but the alignment guy said - if you dont face any pull on any side no need to worry.
However, last week i noticed even more wear in the rear tyres and took it to the Kun Hyundai @ Ambattur. They said the rear beam is all right but what needs to be replaced is the rear axle bushes.
I would like to understand if the diagnosis is correct. And i would also like to understand how to evaluate the quality and authenticity of the work performed as i feel the Kun guys are also referring to the same set of bushes which the TVS guy claimed he had changed.
Thanks,
Madhusudan
Old 8th November 2013, 15:53   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhusudan801 View Post
Hi All,
I have a Santro which is 3 years old and has done 36k kms. Last year, i was facing a lot of pull towards the left and duly notified the service rep at HSS in Chennai and got it corrected. I then visited Lal Tyres, Gopalapuram in Chennai and he suggested that i go for Alloys as all my tyres were in a pretty bad shape and that would have also affected the steel rims. The tyres had worn out along the outer sides.(my car had done about 15k at that point of time on OEM Goodyear tyres). Hence i got alloy rims and Hankook tyres - Optimo K715 165/65 R13. I must admit here that due to my lack of awareness i never bothered to get the alignment checked at the mandated 5k km.
A couple of months back i felt the inner sides of both the rear tyres were again getting worn out and visited Lal Tyres once again. He said the problem is due to me not getting the wheels aligned / balanced for a long time. He suggested that i do away with both my rear tyres and get a couple of new ones. The front Hankook were deployed at the rear and a new set of Michelin - Energy XM2 165/65 R13 were deployed at the front. While performing alignment, he pointed out that the rear wheels' toe was out and suggested i replace the rear beam.
I mentioned the same when i visited the HSS @Sholinganallur but they said its ok and one can drive in this condition. Not satisfied i took the car to a TVS service centre in Ambattur (thats where my office is) and he replaced the bushes - the ones located near the rear axle - and shock absorbers. I once again went for the wheel alignment and the condition was still there but the alignment guy said - if you dont face any pull on any side no need to worry.
However, last week i noticed even more wear in the rear tyres and took it to the Kun Hyundai @ Ambattur. They said the rear beam is all right but what needs to be replaced is the rear axle bushes.
I would like to understand if the diagnosis is correct. And i would also like to understand how to evaluate the quality and authenticity of the work performed as i feel the Kun guys are also referring to the same set of bushes which the TVS guy claimed he had changed.
Thanks,
Madhusudan
It is very difficult for us to judge who is correct without any supporting evidence.

Kun guys could be telling the truth but you have to check the alignment after the change of bushes to see if it has made a difference. When you do the alignment, the readings have to be within tolerance.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 16:17   #21
BHPian

I had faced the similar problem of inside tread wearing off on the front tyres om my Santro AT (2008 model).

One tyre alignment shop did a wonderful job of correcting the camber angle of the front wheels using special bolts. Problem solved.

Also be very careful of proper adjustment of toe-in of the front. No adjustments are possible on the rear wheels. I always personally stand at the machine when getting alignments done.

For the past 1 year I have very low running so it takes ages to cover 3-5000 kms. So now will be replacing tyres based on age.
Old 21st November 2013, 12:46   #22

Well i did give my car to the Kun guys and they informed me that all the bushes are in perfect condition. Looks like the symptoms displayed by my car are usually seen if the vehicle has been in an accident - which is not the case here. Hence, to put an end to this tyre wearing out issue, they suggested i go for the rear axle replacement. It set me back by 7k. I have also been to the wheel alignment shop (Lal tyres, Maduravoyal), got the rear wheels changed and now all the wheels are perfectly aligned. I hope all this resolves the issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks