Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2008, 11:44   #1
BHPian

Do Wheel Caps Disturb Wheel Balance

I have been observing on quite a few vehicles while driving recently that the Wheel caps that are installed are normally off-center and vibrate when in motion.

When we do wheel Balacing very small weights ( 20 gms to 60 gms or so ) are added to the edge of the Wheel rim to ensure that it is correclty balanced. I believe with Wheelcaps installed which are off-center will disturb the whole wheel balance.

Another observation is that Caps that fit on the inside edge of the rim are less off-center as compared to caps that are fit on a center Nut.

Gurus your views please.

If the answer to my question is YES,shouldn't we be really skeptical about using Wheel caps on our cars.
Old 29th November 2008, 12:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

i too have observed this. all the wheel caps on my alto are off centred in vague manner. they wont disturb the wheel balance in actual, but when u drive at high speeds u feel the cyclic vibrations
Old 29th November 2008, 12:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but when u drive at high speeds u feel the cyclic vibrations
That is because they are probably loose & vibrate, another reason could be that at high speeds the flowing air would be pushing them out & if they are loose, you will get that feeling.
Old 29th November 2008, 14:10   #4
BHPian

Wheel caps dont disturb the wheel balance if they are properly fit and have their weight equally balanced.Only if they are loose or not properly fit they will give out cyclic vibration.Its highly reccomended to get the OEM wheel caps as they are best fit than after market ones.
Old 18th January 2009, 15:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

was curious. do wheel covers do ANY function? they are a pain to clean when washing the car, and trap dust and what not, and now look pretty scratched.

was thinking about losing them and putting just the plastic end caps in the center
Old 19th January 2009, 15:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Apart from visual appeal(not in all cases), I dont think they have any use.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks