Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2009, 09:47   #1
BANNED

Digital/Analogue Tyre Pressure Gauge - Which one to buy ?

When I went for shopping a Tyre Pressure Gauge, I've found lots of Analogue Pressure Gauges with the prices ranging from Rs.200-800. I got confused since the dealer blatantly told me that the costlier one is more precise !

If the Rs.200 Analogue Pressure Gauge is not precise then there is no point in manufacturing it; since it's the pressure gauge should atleast serve it's only one purpose ! It's not like purchasing a low cost car v/s a luxury car.
  • Among the Digital & Analogue Pressure Gauge, which is more precise ?
  • Which is having more life ?
Old 17th February 2009, 09:53   #2
BHPian

Check this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...foot-pump.html

Thread can be merged
Old 17th February 2009, 10:00   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Check this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...foot-pump.html

Thread can be merged
OK, I've seen that thread before, but I don't need the foot pump.

And, I just wanted to separate my queries and wanted to keep the thread clean, that's all.

If the Mods feel that the thread needs to be merged, then I don't have any problem.
Old 17th February 2009, 10:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

one thing one shouldnt confuse is the resolution and accuracy. a meter with a 3.5 digit display might appear to have .1% accuracy, but thats just the resolution of the display. In once case, the actual accuracy of the sensor turned out to be +/- 5% (~100 times worse )

Last edited by greenhorn : 17th February 2009 at 10:04.
Old 17th February 2009, 10:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
OK, I've seen that thread before, but I don't need the foot pump.

And, I just wanted to separate my queries and wanted to keep the thread clean, that's all.

If the Mods feel that the thread needs to be merged, then I don't have any problem.
No offence meant there are few discussions on pressure gauge alone in that thread and team bhp owners are using it. You can PM them/discuss on forum to know the brand and the relaiblity
Also what green has mentioned we should not confuse with resolution and accuracy as the one I brought from US have one decimal digit but it is OK for tyre. I brought it for $5 . I use and carry for long trips

Last edited by aka_iitd : 17th February 2009 at 10:28.
Old 17th February 2009, 10:34   #6
BANNED

Anyway, Digital Gauges are not easily available in India. So which Analogue Pressure Gauge to buy ?

Any specific brand OR should I go for the costliest one ?
Old 17th February 2009, 10:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Check out Ebay, they have both types. I picked up a digital one recently, wasn't accurate, seller replaced it. Replacement seems OK. Analogue ones start from Rs 99.
Old 17th February 2009, 10:56   #8
BANNED

Is this one that you're referring to ?

http://cgi.ebay.in/Original-Imported-JD-Tyre-Pressure-Gauge_W0QQitemZ310121852692QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_203?hash=item310121852692&_trksid=p32 86.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A1|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A131 8
Old 17th February 2009, 11:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Michelin has a digital gauge that is superb in terms of look and feel, the backlit display (great at night or low light conditions of garages) and of course the brag value etc. I don't know how correct the readings are or when to know that it's not working. Most gauges lose their accuracy over a period of time and ideally should be recalibrated (I have no clue where it is done or how much it would cost).
One problem with the Michelin gauge is it gives the reading in BAR and therefore you have to carry a chart in your pocket to convert the value to PSI.
If you want to keep things cheap (Michelin is like 2.5k), buy the lowest cost analogue one. It will show the pressure correct for a few months (you cross check with a few busy and reliable pumps). Chuck it in a year or whenever you feel it's not working and go for another cheap one.
Old 17th February 2009, 11:19   #10
BHPian

eBay India: Original 'JD' Tyre Pressure Gauge All Metal Body (item 310121852707 end time 17-Feb-2009 21:58:14 IST)

I got this JD all metal body analog gauge from ebay recently, good build quality and pretty accurate reading, it holds the pressure reading untill you release it. Its claimed to be made by JIN DAI AUTO SUPPLY CO.

I'm satisfied with the analog meter, as I don't need to check my tire pressure every morning, maybe once in a while travelling I'll need it so this analog one is bang for the buck.
Old 17th February 2009, 11:41   #11
BANNED

Check this link as i posted my device which i bought recently from UK ebay.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...foot-pump.html
Costed me 15xx including shipping to India its better then what Michelin sells in India and cheaper as well.
Also i am using Ring Airomatic Auto DIGITAL Air Compressor RAC600 pump for putting air.Its easily available in ebay(not our ebay.in).

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 17th February 2009 at 11:44.
Old 18th February 2009, 20:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Check out Ebay, they have both types. I picked up a digital one recently, wasn't accurate, seller replaced it. Replacement seems OK. Analogue ones start from Rs 99.
Mine is not as accurate as I thought it was. The replacement is better? More accurate?

I feel that there is a need for a much better Tyre Pressure Gauge than what's offered on eBay and normal markets.
Old 18th February 2009, 21:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

I bought this in last week of Jan but it was faulty. It shows 3 Points in all the cars.

Sent an email to the seller, he asked me to return but did not send it so far. :(

eBay India: Back on Popular Demand Digital Tyre Pressure Gauge (item 310122535120 end time 20-Feb-2009 20:16:47 IST)
Old 19th February 2009, 09:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Mine is not as accurate as I thought it was. The replacement is better? More accurate?
Yup, the replacement one is fine - the earlier one had a huge difference of 8 to 10 psi with the pump gauges, this one is around 0.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I bought this in last week of Jan but it was faulty. It shows 3 Points in all the cars.

Sent an email to the seller, he asked me to return but did not send it so far. :(
If its the Chandigarh seller, he's pretty prompt - sent my replacement within a day of receiving back the old piece. Has also given me a free delivery offer on my next purchase from him (since I had to spend money on sending the old one back to him). So send it back.
Old 19th February 2009, 10:05   #15
BANNED

Most non-stick analog gauges are built around a corrugated canister with the display mechanism. Most cheaper digital ones have the same underlying technology. So the reliability and accuracy will be similar. On the other hand digital gauges with proper electronic sensors can be very accurate (and expensive). This is the same as Sphygmomanometers (BP Instruments), where most Doctors trusted the good old Mercury instruments. After Omron and a few others introduced electronic sensor based units the thinking is changing.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks