Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 22:46   #1
BHPian

Wobbly Getz

Got a second hand getz from my uncle to use as my second car. Car had a few bumps & dents and a weak front suspension all of which were supposedly fixed by a local mechanic (my uncle knows him for a long time). When I took the car out today after its return from the workshop, I found the front end to be very wobbly at low speeds itself. Mechanic says it is because of weakened tyres and wants me to change all four of them. The car is 3.5 years old and has done only 37 k kms. But the car was practically unused for the past 6 months. Will the tyre changing help?
Old 26th February 2009, 22:58   #2

A friend of mine had the same problem in his getz done only 33k kms, was advised to changet the tyres after which the problem dissapeared.Heard from the tyre guy that this is a common problem with the getz.
Old 26th February 2009, 23:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Post pics of the tyres. Only then can we say if the tyres need to be changed or not. If the tyres have never been changed, then maybe after 37,000 kms, it is time to change it.
Old 26th February 2009, 23:26   #4
BHPian

Like nikhil said please post pics first. There are chances that they are the first set of tyres the car came with. If so 3 yrs and 37000 kms is good enough and you have to go in for a new set of tyres.

If the condition of the tyres appear to be good then get the wheels balanced and alingnment done.

Also confirm from your local mechanic what work on the suspension has been carried out.
Old 27th February 2009, 10:06   #5
BHPian

Thanks

Aditya, Nikhil and @badz,
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately I haven't taken any pix of the tyres yet. But I did inspect them this morning - there are a few cracks on the tyre walls. As you all said it is probably time for a change. There is very little tread left - may be they will last 2-3k kms best. I will go get them changed today. And probably check the alignment too.
Thanks
Chandru
Old 27th February 2009, 10:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

Also, while you're at it, check if the rims have any bends in them. Currently thats the case with my car, which renders some wobbles at low speeds.
Old 27th February 2009, 11:15   #7
BHPian

me to had similar issue at 40k on my first set of tires , got them changed and alignment done . now no issues till date .
Old 27th February 2009, 15:20   #8
BHPian

Update

Went to MGM Tyres @ Luz. Found that two of the 5 were in bad shape - Weak spots, deep cuts and uneven wear. In fact one of them must have been badly handled by some wayside puncture shop - the rubber had been damaged at the edges and steel wires were exposed.

Since all of them were Goodyear GT3 155 80 R13, got two new ones fitted on the front wheel and two best among the old are now shod on the rear. Got a wheel alignment also done. Now she runs butter smooth.

Total cost 5.9k and 3 hrs from work!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks