Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:31   #1
BHPian

Michelin XM1+ ..Too Soft a Tyre?

BHPians - I had recently upgraded my i10 with new leage alloys and Michelin XM1+ 175/70 tyres in the month of Jan 09.

Day before yesterday while driving in the city's (Bengaluru) one of the not so narrow roads, I managed to hit a stone (a big one at that) which was lying on the left side of the road . You can see this phenomenon all over Bengaluru's roads, stones lying all over the place, medians which run like a snake (read zig zag and not straight). I could not avoid it because of the traffic. I must have been driving at speeds of around 40kmph as I had just started from the signal.

The front left tyre scraped the stone badly and a piece of it has come out of the tyre (Don't have the pic now to share, but will do so). But there is no deflation or puncture as I can see and am able to drive the car. Luckily the alloy wheel has no major damages apart from a scratch at the rim edge.

Has anyone else have had similar experieces? Does anyone think the Michelin tyres are too soft or is it just that any other tyre would still have not made any difference in such a scenario?

Please share your thoughts.
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:52   #2
BHPian

Post some pics NFS. Will help us understand the extent of the damage.
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I changed to same tyres last week with prior information that they are bit on the softer side since their priority is more on comfort and less road noise. But, it is alarming to note that scraping rock just took a slice of the rubber.

Post some pictures, maybe it was not just a simple scrape as you described. I am interested to see the comments of our inhouse tyre gurus.
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:10   #4
BHPian

*Maybe* Bridgestone/MRF is better suited for Indian roads?

I am not sure if we can have the best of both the worlds, comfort and damage resistance/durability. Waiting for the guru's comments too.
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:10   #5
BHPian

I will try to post some pics tomorrow for sure. We might be in a better position to discuss this after looking at the pics.
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:56   #6
BHPian

I have attached the pic for your reference. Please have a look at it and post your comments. You can also see a small damage to the alloy wheel just below the place where the rubber has come out. Let me also reiterate the fact that the stone which I hit was big with sharp edges.

What worries me is that this happened in the city and I was not doing more than 40kmph at that point of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin XM1+ ..Too Soft a Tyre?-untitled1.jpg  

Old 3rd March 2009, 13:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the rim damage, I don't think Michelins are soft.
That said, these things cost a bit and I do drive a bit carefully with these on.
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:25   #8
BHPian

I had similar experience on my santro running 165/65 Michelin XM1 . I was taking a U turn and hit the footpath and the sidewall got scraped on it and was torn badly.

My earlier MRF tyres would have just bounced off it. XM1 are good, but they are too soft and you really need to be careful not to take sidewall damages.
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you a rub through a sharp edged stone at 40 kph, any tyre will have a similar damage.
Do check with the Tyre dealer if it can be repaired, else it is riskier to drive on this tyre.
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:33   #10
BHPian

@NFS
A very very similar cut had happened under the same circumstances that you describe on my Indica that was riding on Apollo Acceleres. I just stuck the piece back with rubber based adhesive since it was superficial and moved the wheel to the rear. As a precaution before embarking on a Ooty trip I replaced this wheel with the stepney. There's nothing much you can do about the alloys though. The stuck piece stayed that way till I sold the car about a year and a half after the incident.
To mitigate risk - shift this tyre to the rear or use it as a stepney.
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:43   #11
BHPian

Is that the casing ply that is visible? If thats the case i am not sure its worth trying to repair. It is strong stuff but i am sure your safty is important - why take the chance.
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Looks bad......looks like even rim has taken a big hit not sure ow other tyres would have taken the same impact.

I used Turanza on very bad surfaces and never had issues, presently am using XM1+. so far so good.
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Looks bad......looks like even rim has taken a big hit not sure ow other tyres would have taken the same impact.

I used Turanza on very bad surfaces and never had issues, presently am using XM1+. so far so good.
You are right, the rim has taken a beating as well, but it's still ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Is that the casing ply that is visible? If thats the case i am not sure its worth trying to repair. It is strong stuff but i am sure your safty is important - why take the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
@NFS
A very very similar cut had happened under the same circumstances that you describe on my Indica that was riding on Apollo Acceleres. I just stuck the piece back with rubber based adhesive since it was superficial and moved the wheel to the rear. As a precaution before embarking on a Ooty trip I replaced this wheel with the stepney. There's nothing much you can do about the alloys though. The stuck piece stayed that way till I sold the car about a year and a half after the incident.
To mitigate risk - shift this tyre to the rear or use it as a stepney.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Looking at the rim damage, I don't think Michelins are soft.
That said, these things cost a bit and I do drive a bit carefully with these on.
I will not take a chance with this tyre, will replace it with the spare. Guess there is no other option, but to get one more replacement for this tyre.
Old 3rd March 2009, 19:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

That's quite a significant amount of damage, especially looking at the bad impact even the wheel has had. Replacement of the tyre is the only option I would advise.
Old 3rd March 2009, 20:15   #15
BHPian

I generally dont take any risks with Tires and Brakes. I would suggest moving it as a stepney or replacing it altogether. I do understand that it would cost a bit as it was relatively new but with tires, always play safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks