Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 00:11   #1
BHPian

Wobbling Palio

My Palio has done abt 28000 Km.
About three weeks back i took it for service at Shaman (the last free service as part of AMC), though they are no longer Authorized Fiat A.S.C.
I had seen that the front tires were getting worn-out on the inner sides, and on checking they told me that the front btm suspension arm would need replacement (about 4 K for the pair), followed by alignment.
I told thenm to go ahead. Other jobs - apart from service - were to rotate the wheels (front to back and back to front only, no cross rotation, the tyres being radial), alignment & balancing. Now the better of the 4 tyres are at front and the worn out pair is at back.

The work was done, but since then I am feeling a mild wobbling on the front of the car, particulalry at low speeds, as if one of the tyres is flat.
I did not have time to take the car back to the Shaman workshop, but locally I got the following checks done:
a) tyres pressures b)wheel balancing - was found to be out by a big margin, wonder what the guys at Shaman had done c)alignment (once again)- just to make sure, which was not all that bad.
This neighbourhood mechanic rubbished the replacement of the suspension arms and said that I had been taken for a ride. (He said, at 28K-km, its highly highly unlikely that Palio suspension would need replacement).

The problem of wobbling persists. I plan to take my car back to workshop after next week, but my confidence in Shman's abilities and genuineness is shaken badly.
So before I go back to them, I wanted to know - what could be the possible problem, and what should I get checked.

Is it possible that the new lower suspnsion arm has created the problem. Or could it me something else?

Experts, please give your views.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th March 2009 at 00:55. Reason: Thread moved to Under the hood section.
Old 20th March 2009, 00:53   #2
BHPian

Very true 28k and a suspensions arms changed , a shocker . I got my changed at 75k .
Secondly its due to wheel balancing , get them balanced
Old 20th March 2009, 09:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

wobbling at low speeds: could be due to uneven tyre wear. Hope that wobble goes away at higher speeds (> 20 kmph).

What's current tread depth for front tyres & which tyres on your Palio?
Old 20th March 2009, 13:16   #4
BHPian

just to ensure get the realignment and balancing done again, i hope it will help
Old 21st March 2009, 16:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
wobbling at low speeds: could be due to uneven tyre wear
. How do I confirm this? I no longer want to go by the advice of the ASC alone.

Also note that the rear tyres which were in much better condition have now been moved to the front. and the worn outs have been shifted to rear. Could this rotation be a part of the problem?

Quote:
Hope that wobble goes away at higher speeds (> 20 kmph).
Yes, the wobble does diminish at higher speeds.

Quote:
What's current tread depth for front tyres & which tyres on your Palio?
The tyres are Bridgestone radial, 165/80 R13. Need to check the exact thread depth for front tyres, but these are in fairly good conditions, I guess the depth would be roughly 3 mm. BTW,
The ones now in rear are bad, but I think that should not contribute to the problem (or does it?)

Please continue your feedback/advice.

PSP62IN

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks