Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 14:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Tires (tubeless) first and then the alloys (if required)

You will get better buy back value for your stock tires when they are new. Once u run them for more than 500kms the buy back value drops ridiculously and the value in some cases would be almost equivalent to worn out tires.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
A friend at work wants to switch over to alloy wheels and tubeless radials in his 4-year old Santro. Currently his car has only steel wheels and tubed tyres. He can't afford the whole change in one shot but wants to upgrade either the tyre or the wheels this month and the other one next month.
Question is which one should be changed first? The tyres or the wheels? By the way, he wants to upsize the tyres by one size from the stock one but keep the R13 same.
Thanks in advance.
Sudipto
kpzen its a 4 year old santro so the question of buyback of stock tyres does not come.

I even would suggest to get the tyres first, considering the steel wheels are in a decent condition.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Ok Didnt want to start a new thread hence here is my question. I have a lancer

Current setup 13" Steel rims and stock tyres
Proposed setup 15" rims and 205 55 r 15 tyres (kind of zeroed on maxis tyres, 3.5k each at trivandrum in an accessory shop should easily get for 3k in a tyre shop may be in cochin).
Cant find better looking rims in kerala(trivandrum), and cant go to cochin or bangalore for alloys immediately.

Budget is 30K(for both, set of 5)

Can some one suggest is it advisable to go for the tyres and use honda(ANHC)steel rims which i think are 15", buy the tyres and wait for a month or two and buy alloys from cochin/ bangalore when visiting these places?

Reason for purchasing in haste is the stock tyres are hard now (over 70K) and need immediate attention and would not like to procastinate much.

Pramod
Old 14th December 2009, 15:00   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

First of all, the correct size is 205/50 R15.

Secondly, 3.5k for a Maxxis sounds suspiciously low. I would suggest you increase your budget and get a better brand.

Makes no sense in going for 15"steel rims and then changing it soon after. Get both together.

However, I feel you are going for this all wrong. 30k will get you the cheapest alloys and tyres. I am NEVER one to recommend this. Your 4 tyres are the only pieces of rubber making contact with the road. NEVER compromise on them.

Increase your budget or be happy with 14".
Old 14th December 2009, 15:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
kpzen its a 4 year old santro so the question of buyback of stock tyres does not come.
@ DjNik: 'kpzen' must have been responding recent query by 'funnyguru' and not to original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Can some one suggest is it advisable to go for the tyres and use honda(ANHC)steel rims which i think are 15", buy the tyres and wait for a month or two and buy alloys from cochin/ bangalore when visiting these places?

Pramod
Use ANHC steel wheels only if wheel parameters like PCD, offset match with Lancer.
Old 14th December 2009, 16:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
First of all, the correct size is 205/50 R15.

Secondly, 3.5k for a Maxxis sounds suspiciously low. I would suggest you increase your budget and get a better brand.

Makes no sense in going for 15"steel rims and then changing it soon after. Get both together.

However, I feel you are going for this all wrong. 30k will get you the cheapest alloys and tyres. I am NEVER one to recommend this. Your 4 tyres are the only pieces of rubber making contact with the road. NEVER compromise on them.

Increase your budget or be happy with 14".
First of all thanks for the replies,I have checked the size on the tyres and they say 205 55 R 15, does that means its a wrong upsize? if yes what problems will they cause? I have a very naive question here. Maxis rules the OTR scene here and they are very popular with most of the mod shops who does mods, this might be because of the sheer margin but i don't think they are that bad. I know there are better brands available, but i am not going for race and ralies, i just want my tyres to last for 30k KMS and take some occational highway speeds above 100KM/H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post

Use ANHC steel wheels only if wheel parameters like PCD, offset match with Lancer.
I belive both are 100PCD but my question is are the 15' if yes are the capable of taking 205 55 r15?

Pramod
Old 14th December 2009, 17:52   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Pramod, 205/55 R15 might foul with the wheel arches and everything.

Apart from that, if you are ok with it, then fine. Go for Maxxis. But be wary of what stock you are getting. Maxxis is cheap, but 3.5k for a 15"tyre is a little unbelievable.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pramod, 205/55 R15 might foul with the wheel arches and everything.

Apart from that, if you are ok with it, then fine. Go for Maxxis. But be wary of what stock you are getting. Maxxis is cheap, but 3.5k for a 15"tyre is a little unbelievable.
So what should be the right price? I spoke to some people in Delhi in another forum they say the same tyre retalis at 2.8k-3k in Delhi. I am confused, i dont want the best but i dont want to be stuck with the worst. My buying decission is purly based on financial constraints.

Pramod
Old 14th December 2009, 18:01   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm....

Actually I was wrong. Maxxis really is that cheap. Go for it. Just make sure it's not older than 2 years or so. I hope you are getting the MA-Z1.
Old 14th December 2009, 18:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm....

Actually I was wrong. Maxxis really is that cheap. Go for it. Just make sure it's not older than 2 years or so. I hope you are getting the MA-Z1.

Thanks for the advise, I will keep it in mind, it is the MA-Z1. Can you PM me the going price in bangalore please?

Pramod
Old 14th December 2009, 18:17   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

B'lore price is higher than 3.5k. Mainly because here Maxxis and other brands dont have such a big fan following. Dont even THINK about comparing the price with North India. Those guys are crazy!
Old 14th December 2009, 18:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
B'lore price is higher than 3.5k. Mainly because here Maxxis and other brands dont have such a big fan following. Dont even THINK about comparing the price with North India. Those guys are crazy!
Thanks for the info and honest openion. I was thinking of going for 4 good alloys and one steel rim. so the budget of 3.5k per alloy sounds ok? There was another offer in the classifides where 5 lenso s7 wheels were for sale at 12.5k, but honestly i did nt like the design. I was thinking of picking up 5 used ANHC steel rims and putting these tyres till i buy the alloys, good option?

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 14th December 2009 at 18:31.
Old 14th December 2009, 19:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Pramod
Buying a new set of stock ANHC steel rims would be better option than buying some used alloys.. I have seen 205/55-15 scraping the rear wheel well but yeah that also depends upon what rims u get..My suggestion would be 195/60-14..best of both worlds

Last edited by kpzen : 14th December 2009 at 19:23.
Old 15th December 2009, 12:21   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ Pramod : I'm going to have to request you to avoid off-topic posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks