Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2009, 00:01   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
GTO - DQ. For a car that should hopefully end the year with about 30-35k km, should the tyres last longer - because by the above logic - they've had less hardening due to age?

Just a DQ - even if it means another 3k more without replacement, so be it. Whatsay?
Just so that nobody gets confused here; DQ in phamilyman's language means Dumb Koshun

Also, keep in mind that you (and me) drive on roads better than most people encounter. So the tires should last longer than 35k easily.
Old 4th May 2009, 00:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I guess yours is a VXI model and take this replacement opportunity for upgrading the size from 165/80/R14 to 185/70/R14 either with Michi or BS Potenza GIII's

Your signature says it all
Yes, its surely the time to upgrade to better rubber.
My 800 had been parked unused since an year. The JKs on the rear had still some life left (still had the tread) after clocking above 45K kms. Also the MRF ZVTS upfront had the inner left portion totally worn out (alignment problem??) and when I drove it yesterday I felt no grip at all, maybe because I am accustomed to Baleno now, but still I remember my experiences with the 800 and so their was indeed a loss of grip, not to mention the car pulling towards right on hard braking.
So finally, have decided, enough of neglecting the lil ol' car, tomorrow its getting Aura rims and some good rubber. Not a better way to start the job to restore it to 'usable' condition I guess.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 4th May 2009 at 00:04.
Old 4th May 2009, 00:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Worn tyres ..... do not pose any kind of risk on dry roads normal roads! In fact handling may improve.
In the movie 'The world's fastest Indian' Burt Munro (Anthony Hopkins) cuts off the treads on the tyres on his Indian Scout. Worked well for him in Bonneville. May be fatal on an Indian road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Do not under-estimate this advice!
To emphasize: My friend ran his alto tyres for 65k km. One day he was speeding on the ring road and on a curve his car slid and turned around 180 degrees. No one was hurt and the car was undamaged, but he bought new tyres soon after that.
Old 4th May 2009, 00:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
In the movie 'The world's fastest Indian' Burt Munro (Anthony Hopkins) cuts off the treads on the tyres on his Indian Scout. Worked well for him in Bonneville. May be fatal on an Indian road.
Indeed fatal on Indian road. The bike in that movie was supposed to run on flat straight salt strip, certainly not on our kind of roads. Had it been that the same thing would had to run, say on a circuit, cutting off the treads would had been nothing short of being stupid.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks