Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2009, 13:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

i think ruggedness vs grip would be more apt.

hard rubber = can take more abuse , but low grip
soft rubber = quite the opposite.

Ideally , Most indian cars need tyres with some off road/bad road talent to suffer the average indian road ( or lack of it )

Last edited by greenhorn : 11th June 2009 at 13:50.
Old 11th June 2009, 13:48   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Including Indian made Bridgestones? The S322's were particularly long lasting tyres. Changed at 47K on my Vtec but still not a sign of balding (rubber had gotten hard and noisy though).
Definitely!! Bridgestone have realised what sells in India and they have made their tyres that way. As far as I know, The S322 sells only in India. The grip and comfort are as bad or as good as the Indian brands, but they last as long as well. Bridgestone entered India with the goal of becoming the largest tyre manufacturer for cars/Suvs and they succeeded.
Old 11th June 2009, 15:47   #18
Team-BHP Support

With a ladder on frame chasis, handling is always compromised. A gripper tire gives slight improvement, maybe more in the wet, but other than that, unless you have a performance sedan which you push to the limits, you will not find any tire wanting.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2009, 16:56   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
With a ladder on frame chasis, handling is always compromised. A gripper tire gives slight improvement, maybe more in the wet, but other than that, unless you have a performance sedan which you push to the limits, you will not find any tire wanting.
Unless you are into taking the vehicle for serious mud slinging, thats where the real difference shows/evident.
Old 11th June 2009, 17:01   #20
Team-BHP Support

Actually handling is a much abused term. From my driving experience in the himalayas in getz, safari and indica, and to some extent the indigo, I have discovered that you reach the endurance limits of passengers much much before the grip or handling limits of the vehicles.
If you drive at a speed that your passengers are comfortable, you will not reach the handling limits of even an ambassador shod on 4 ply tires.
Old 11th June 2009, 17:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Nice review tsk. I have JK Brute 4x4 fitted on my Scorpio. No complaints so far, except for a bit of road noise. But then that is expected from an aggressively treaded tyre. No HT/AT markings on the tyre, so not really sure what they are. The former owner of the Scorp had mentioned these are very good for mud/snow.
I wish they were tubeless though. Had a puncture once, and changing tyres on the Scorp is a real pain in the butt :P
Old 11th June 2009, 17:41   #22
Team-BHP Support

Elanzo is a tubeless tire thankfully. And yes changing tire is indeed a daunting task for the behemoths!
Old 11th June 2009, 18:44   #23
BHPian

I have been using factory fitted JK Elanzo's on my Scorpio for the past 2 years, done about 31k Kms. The experience with JK's is bad to say the least, the most bothering problem is their love for punctures. I've faced atleast 10-12 punctures, and that too on Delhi's well paved roads. Although, they have never ever troubled on daunting terrains, be it snow in Kufri, or almost non existent roads in UP. The braking performance is worst i have ever experienced, and Grip around corners is not satisfactory either.

I have driven a friend's Scorpio shod with Yokohama Geolander's, and they truly rock. Planning to shift to Yoko's only as soon as JK's show their bones up.

Till 6 months back, i was not aware of the price difference between OEM JK's & Bridge Duelers, but as soon as the disparity of almost 2k became evident, i feel cheated by M&M. Although, i have no experience with Duelers, but Gut Feeling says, Bridgestones will be definitely better than JK's.

Had OEM JK Tornado's on my Alto long ago, they lasted 37K, and they were totally crap on performance. Replaced them with Bridgestone B322's, and quite unbelievably they have done 72k till date, and would last atleast 5k more. They performed like leeches on my small box, awesome performance.
Old 11th June 2009, 20:47   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
... My Classic was shod with JK Brutes from the factory and I was pretty satisfied with them. The Michelins were a massive improvement, but JKs were decent for the price.
JK Brute 4x4 is one of the most horrible offroad performing tyre I have seen in my life (from an observation perspective).

We have one MM jeep with this and it is always struggling -- just because of the tyres. They just DON'T move on slush. This jeep then goes on Michelin LTX and does great. These Brute tyres then go on another MM and the MM just slips away to glory in slush...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
..I have JK Brute 4x4 fitted on my Scorpio. ... No HT/AT markings on the tyre, so not really sure what they are...
They are neither of these -- nor HT/AT. The 4x4 is just for branding purpose. Adds no value.
Old 12th June 2009, 09:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Some clear conclusions seem to be emerging:
- If you want to save on costs, go for JK
- you want handling, drive OTR, forget JK
Old 12th June 2009, 12:43   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
JK Brute 4x4 is one of the most horrible offroad performing tyre I have seen in my life (from an observation perspective).
Come on Khan, not bad for the price. They could also take a lot more abuse than the imported rubber.

Also, how old those JK's you saw were, is an important consideration. About 10 years?
Old 12th June 2009, 16:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Haven't done too much offroading with them, so cannot really comment. I have driven on sand and slush, and the tryes behaved fairly well. Not used the Michelin/Yoko/BFG off roading tyres, so cannot compare.
Old 8th July 2009, 18:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
I have been using factory fitted JK Elanzo's on my Scorpio for the past 2 years, done about 31k Kms. The experience with JK's is bad to say the least, the most bothering problem is their love for punctures. I've faced atleast 10-12 punctures, and that too on Delhi's well paved roads. Although, they have never ever troubled on daunting terrains, be it snow in Kufri, or almost non existent roads in UP. The braking performance is worst i have ever experienced, and Grip around corners is not satisfactory either.

I have driven a friend's Scorpio shod with Yokohama Geolander's, and they truly rock. Planning to shift to Yoko's only as soon as JK's show their bones up.

Till 6 months back, i was not aware of the price ...............

............. performed like leeches on my small box, awesome performance.

Surprisingly similalr experience with JK Elanjo's OE on mky Scorp CRDE, 35 K kms, 2 years, worn out, very disappointing feeling cheated too. I 've had at least 2 punctures each on both tyres, could be pot luck and may not be connected at all.

Exploring change over Yokos, lots of my friends have done so and are very happy with the performance.

===
Old 8th July 2009, 22:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yokos AT - great on wet roads, handles well in the Scorpio, although I think Bridgestone ATs took high-speed corners better.
Old 17th August 2009, 10:57   #30
Team-BHP Support

Finally I am rid of the two elanzos.
I was offered a sweet exchange deal when I go the Continental ATs.
During this process we discovered something very unpleasant.
The Elanzos had cracked on the inside.
And the cracks are not on sidewall, but underneath the main tread.
No warranty from JK, because they say I must have run the tires under-inflated.
Well its their word against mine.
Anyways, now I know why this tire costs 1500rs less than comparable Apollo/MRF tires!
the answer is low quality.
This is the first time I have seen a tire crack from the inside in the main tread region. Sidewall cracks are understandable, but cracks under main tread!
I think if I have to buy made in India tires, I will stick to MRF, Apollos only, and steer clear of JK Tires.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed