Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Do I need alloy wheels?

I have a Getz running on stock OEM steel rims. At about 24k kms, I switched to Michelin XM1+ tubeless tyres. This was in Sep last year. Saifee Tyres suggested that I can continue using my steel rims as they were not bent or rusted.

After about 3 months (Dec 2008), one tyre started loosing air. I got it checked, there was no puncture. However, the valve was leaking, so I got it replaced. The puncture repair guy said that this happens when 'black Japan' has not been applied while setting the valve in at the time of tire install.

Now just last week, the same tire started loosing air again. I got it checked yesterday (Jul 2009). No puncture again, but valve was leaking (again!).

This time I got a close inspection at the place where the valve is set in the rim. The circumfrence was slightly rusted. The repair guy sandpapered it and applied some anti rust treatment (WD40 I guess!) and has assured that the problem wont arise again.

I want to know what can be done to avoid such an issue in future? Are alloy wheels the only way out?

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 22nd July 2009 at 11:50.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Getz looks good on alloys,which are like jewels to your car.
Dont go for aura.try Neo wheels or there are many imported ones like Plati,League.
Ultimate alloys are OZ wheels,which cost a bomb..but worthy.
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I have a Getz running on stock OEM steel rims. At about 24k kms, I switched to Michelin XM1+ tubeless tyres. This was in Sep last year. Saifee Tyres suggested that I can continue using my steel rims as they were not bent or rusted.

After about 3 months (Dec 2008), one tyre started loosing air. I got it checked, there was no puncture. However, the valve was leaking, so I got it replaced. The puncture repair guy said that this happens when 'black Japan' has not been applied while setting the valve in at the time of tire install.

Now just last week, the same tire started loosing air again. I got it checked yesterday (Jul 2009). No puncture again, but valve was leaking (again!).

This time I got a close inspection at the place where the valve is set in the rim. The circumfrence was slightly rusted. The repair guy sandpapered it and applied some anti rust treatment (WD40 I guess!) and has assured that the problem wont arise again.

I want to know what can be done to avoid such an issue in future? Are alloy wheels the only way out?

Plz help me in this issue I am also planning to fit Michelin XM1+ tyres on my new Ritz VXI stock steel Rims. So whether this same issue will arise or should i go for a Alloy wheels... I know alloy will be gr8 but i dont have that much budget to spent so please help me in this issue or should i stick on to the stock tyres and steel rims.I dont know whether they(stock) are tubeless tyres or not.....
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Getz looks good on alloys,which are like jewels to your car.
Dont go for aura.try Neo wheels or there are many imported ones like Plati,League.
Ultimate alloys are OZ wheels,which cost a bomb..but worthy.
I know the cosmetic benefit of alloy wheels.

But my question was - Do I NEED alloys for the specific problem that I described?
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Try getting a new steel rim and see if it solves the purpose.replace the one you suspect with the spare wheel and see.
Alloys are not needed but recommended for tubeless tires.Most new cars today come with tubeless tires and not all of them have alloys do they.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 22nd July 2009 at 13:42.
Old 22nd July 2009, 20:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nishant I don't know about you but most humans don't need alloy wheels. Their cars do though.
iraghava is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

LOL Ishaan

Nishant - Please try putting that tyre on the stepney to see if the rim is faulty. If you really needed them then this would have happened on all rims besides its much cheaper to replace steel rims
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:35   #8
BHPian

Just replace the rim with a new one. Maybe someone at the local Hyundai will know the latest fellow to trade in his steel wheels for alloys, you should be able to get one cheap.
When I changed the tyres on the Getz, I wanted to go tubeless, but my steel rims were too rusted to allow it. Also I could not get any used rims, new ones were costing more than 1k each. So I stayed with tubed tyres.
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:52   #9
BANNED

Folks,

I'm a newbie around had a similar question on alloys, someone is selling 13" inch after market alloys along with Goodyear G series 155/55/13 wheels which have done around 20,000 kms on the meter currently fitted in his Alto. Since I've got an Alto too, I'm interested in the purchase but am not sure of what the right amount should be for the deal. I would appreciate some gyan from the vintage around here!!!
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:58   #10
Team-BHP Support

I had the same problem on the alloy wheels of my Lancer. Sandpaper and WD40 did the trick. The valve was refitted and hasn't leaked ever since.

By the way, the getz 13" steel rims cost around Rs.650 or so. So you can change them as well.
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nishant,

Am running tubeless on stock steel rims for the last 1+ years; the rims are 4+ years. I have not noticed the issue that you have mentioned.

So, no you do not need alloys for the issue mentioned (I mean, your car).
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Recollect persons at tyre shops applying some solution on tubeless tyre valve while fixing it onto steel rim/alloy; was told that this ensures firm fixing of valve with wheel and prevents air leakage. Have seen this at three different tyre shops in pune; two of them being Michelin dealers.

@ nishantgandhi & pullikutty : Absolutely no problem in using steel rims for tubeless tyres. Have been using them for more than 18 months on santro & no issues with it. Opt for alloys if you have vitamin M.

@ ridinthru' : would get better response if posted in relevant Alto thread. Anyways, don't think 155/55R13 is correct upgrade for Alto. And do we really get a tyre in that size? Was it a typo or did you mean 155/65R13?

As far as I know, alto stock size is 145/80R12. Before opting for that deal, you should check whether do you want move to 13" tyres & wheels?
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Nishant I don't know about you but most humans don't need alloy wheels. Their cars do though.
Guru Gyan

Nishat with the monsoon ripping apart most roads I would recommend you go in for a set of good alloys if you have the dough to spare. 'coz this will recur everytime you happen to get a rim bent.

Hillram : Why should he not go for Aura ?? They're well built and superbly finished alloys. The only issue being hunting for a replacement wheel if go forbid he manages to damage one beyond repair as they've shut production.
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:21   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I say if you have the budget, alloy wheels are the way to go. Otherwise, just get a Hyundai steel rim and be happy!
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:28   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I know the cosmetic benefit of alloy wheels.

But my question was - Do I NEED alloys for the specific problem that I described?
There are two benefits of alloys in addition to cosmetics:

1. Reduction in unsprung mass. Leads to better road holding and improved behaviour over bumps.

2. Stiffer: Less prone to getting misshapen in rough roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks