Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 19:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

If getting from karol bagh check the date of manufacture. I got Pirelli NERO very cheap. Give me call if you wanna know more.
Old 20th August 2009, 20:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I beg to differ.
They're OEM tyres for a lot of cars in the US.
Nitrous I have seen new Sonata with Hankook and Kumho tyres moreover Captiva with Kumho (or Hankook).

They're catching up with Indian manufacturers.
Old 20th August 2009, 21:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hankook R-S2s are very good tyres. I have had the pleasure of driving them on more than one 200 hp car, and for the price, they provide reasonable grip. They are not quite in the league of AD07s, but then again, they are a lot, lot cheaper. Incredibly, they are also more silent and comfortable than the AD07s, but I'm not too sure about cornering grip. I assume with the profile in question, you wouldn't need to take sharp corners at high speeds on full throttle, so I'd say go ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
We call the S.drives "suicidal" tires for they have an uncanny knack to lock up severely on braking from even a slow speed. I find them to be the worst of the lot. Stick to Michelins if you are looking at a mid level entry. PP2's or Pilot Sport would be a safer bet. I hear Bridgestone has re-introduces the Potenza GIII's again? Feedback from some very fast drivers is that GIII's are anyday better than S.drives. I would vouch for their words.
I don't know who you're talking to, but GIIIs are absolute crap. They are so bad no one on earth buys them anymore, except in India. The dies were shifted from Japan to India some time last year, and now only India/Bangladesh/Pakistan buys them. Even Sri Lanka spurns them in favour of Toyo's lower price ranges. And the Eagle F1s are pretty crappy as well. Just look good, no go, no life, nothing. The S.drives aren't all that great, probably not even as good as their predecessor, the AVS Sport, but they aren't all that bad.
Old 20th August 2009, 23:46   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I don't know who you're talking to, but GIIIs are absolute crap. The S.drives aren't all that great, probably not even as good as their predecessor, the AVS Sport, but they aren't all that bad.
From my experience of having driven S.drives on two cars, I would personally never trust my life with those tires. And I have seen GIII's on Vijay's car and he is able to corner as good as Satya's car with PP2's. Braking is not as good as the PP2's but atleast the GIII's aren't locking up or throwing up the TC light like the S.drives would. And I think both Tadu & Vijay know what they are talking specially when it comes to tires, given their driving style. And I personally have been a witness to this myself.

Braking from some 50kmph the S.drives locked up on the baleno. My heart was in my mouth, literally. Even my slick F1's wouldn't lock up from that speed. And you know what sort of tires I have used on my car .
Old 21st August 2009, 00:29   #20
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Guys how would you compare R-S2 with the S-drives ?
Old 21st August 2009, 00:50   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
RS2 anyday. I would pick every tire ahead of the S.drives . 3 cars and 3 horrendous experiences. Though Akshay, KP, Zak have a different story to tell.
Old 21st August 2009, 00:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Nitrous I have seen new Sonata with Hankook and Kumho tyres moreover Captiva with Kumho (or Hankook).

Either the kumhos or the hankooks come stock on the Optra.
Old 21st August 2009, 01:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
And I have seen GIII's on Vijay's car and he is able to corner as good as Satya's car with PP2's
Are you referring to track? Because I would hesitate to definitively put down a tyre based on highway experience on cars that are known to be nose-heavy. We are not professionals, able to judge things like this instantly. The only way to settle this is to do a braking and slalom test the next time around at MMST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
R-S2 anyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Dude, with the exception of some Apollo Accelers, almost all Indian tyres are absolute crap.
Old 21st August 2009, 01:39   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Are you referring to track?
No. Bangalore to Mysore highway drive. Tadu's car running S.drives. Vijay's car running GIII's. Tadu & me reached Nice road junction nearly 20 mins after these guys reached. Car didn't stop on time for even ONE speedbreaker. Tires locked on every medium-hard braking. Next day moved over to PP2's and no braking issues.

Finally we had to stick to a speed of 100 kmph throughout the journey . When it rained the tires were holding on pretty well. When the tires are cold they are pretty good. But once they heat up, they lose grip tremendously. Imagine Tadu driving at those speeds. I don't think neither of us have ended up locking up tires that much as we did on that one drive to the total number of times I have locked up tires till date.

Same effect on the baleno too. Even a friends Getz locks up wheels regularly on braking. After the baleno incident, I decided never to advocate S.drives to anyone.
Old 12th December 2010, 17:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are Hankook Ventus R-S2 good ?

From the global Hankook website, I found out Ventus R-S2s come in 195/60R14 size with a V rating! Any idea who sells them in India and how much they cost?
Old 12th December 2010, 23:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Approx 4200 per tire, only if you manage to find them somewhere.
Old 13th December 2010, 02:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

which is a better tire between the yoko S drive and the BF goodrich Gforce ?
Old 15th December 2010, 09:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Approx 4200 per tire, only if you manage to find them somewhere.
Thanks for the price. But why do you say they're difficult to find? Is it because they're not imported into India anymore, or they've been replaced by another model?
Old 15th December 2010, 11:35   #29
BHPian

I think they've been replaced by R S3.. I couldnt come across the R S2 anymore.
Old 15th December 2010, 22:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
I think they've been replaced by R S3.. I couldnt come across the R S2 anymore.
Yeah got a confirmation from a dealer today. RS2 is no longer available. The only Hankooks in 195/60 R14 size are Optimo Z212s, and those are normal comfort tires.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 15th December 2010 at 22:45.

Most Viewed