Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2009, 16:52   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
..... The dealer quoted Rs. 2750 per tyre which is about 150 more than XM1+. The tyre seemed better than XM1+ in terms of section width, side wall thickness & overall feel...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
There is XM1+ now available in the same size. This will last you much more than the XM1 you had previously.
Quote:

Of course XM1+ is available. It was introduced a month or so back. Until then you only had XM1. But now XM1+ has been introduced in the 155/65 R13, 165/65 R!3, 155/70 R13 sizes.
Yes, Nikhil! I am aware of that. What do you think about ER60 when compared to XM1+, this size wasn't available earlier.
Old 21st September 2009, 17:21   #17
BHPian

The new tyre has theoretically increased your ground clearance/dia by 14 mm, which and cirumference by 44 mm, and about 2.6 % speedo error. So if your car is fine without any probs of tyres touching wheel wells, you should be fine I guess. Don't know about any warranty issues.

Last edited by rageshgr : 21st September 2009 at 17:28.
Old 4th September 2013, 16:22   #18

Re: Continental Tyres for my Wagon-R. Upgraded

Quote:
Jebs, I'm sorry but you are grossly misinformed. We sell Michelin tyres EVERYDAY. Michelin do offer Energy series in 12" also. The XM1+ is actually the Energy XM1+. It is one and the same thing. XM1+ is part of Energy series. Energy series has a model which is marketed as XM1+. I hope I've been clear!

This means XM1+ has silica. Quite a bit in fact.

Continental is doign well in 13" as 13" tyres are among the biggest sellers in the market. Not only Conti, but Michelin, Bridgestone, Apollo, MRF also are doing superbly in 13". It's simply because there is a huge demand for 13" tyres.

Anyway, about the importing part, it is b*ll****. Sorry to say. But no one follows stuff like this. In my experience Yokohama generally have the most up to date stock. Followed by Michelin. Michelin come 2nd only because their PP2s are generally old stuff. Continental is 3rd because they have a lot of old stock they are dumping on us. By old, I dont mean dangerously old. It is about 8-9 months old. Not 2 or 3 years like some Bridgestones(in 215/65 R16 and 235/60 R16).

If your tyre is less than 6 months old, then fantastic! In that case you hav the tyre with the reinforced sidewall which compromises on ride quality but it's a small price to pay given the fact that our roads are so bad.

There is no ban on imports. It was just a gimmick by the government. the local manufacturers like MRF, Apollo, JK, Ceat pressurised the govt to ban truck tyre imports from China as a lot of China made truck tyres were coming into India and ruining the market.

This lead to a lot of rumours about passenger car tyres supply being hit. Only Michelin was affected to some extent as they usually bring in their truck tyres AND the passenger car tyres in the same container. And most of them are made in China. But that problem is no longer there. The govt was looking to ban Chinese tyres. Not tyres by big reputed manufacturers made in China.

Make a note. I highly recommend Continental tyres. They are very good. But for outright comfort, I would still prefer a Michelin XM1+.

Of course XM1+ is available. It was introduced a month or so back. Until then you only had XM1. But now XM1+ has been introduced in the 155/65 R13, 165/65 R!3, 155/70 R13 sizes.
Dear Nikhil,

I have been reading your posts on tyre upgrades for Wagon Rs and would appreciate your comments to a piquant situation that I have.

I own a Wagon R 2011 Vxi Model. The OE tyres are on their last journey. The tyre specs are 155/65R14. I am a die hard Wagon R fan and so my previous car (2005 LxI model) was also a Wagon R. Before I sold the car, I had changed the tyres and upsized them to a Michelin variant for the R13 rim. Given my very pleasant experience with the upsized Michelin tyres, I was quite keen on replacing my R14 rim tyres with a Michelin. Unfortunately, (unless I am mistaken), there is no suitable Michelin variant for the R14 Wagon R rim. Do you believe I have options in Michelin or do I need to look at other brands? If yes, what brands? I would really appreciate your assistance on this. Thanks in advance.
Old 8th September 2013, 15:24   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Dear Nikhil,

I have been reading your posts on tyre upgrades for Wagon Rs and would appreciate your comments to a piquant situation that I have.

I own a Wagon R 2011 Vxi Model. The OE tyres are on their last journey. The tyre specs are 155/65R14. I am a die hard Wagon R fan and so my previous car (2005 LxI model) was also a Wagon R. Before I sold the car, I had changed the tyres and upsized them to a Michelin variant for the R13 rim. Given my very pleasant experience with the upsized Michelin tyres, I was quite keen on replacing my R14 rim tyres with a Michelin. Unfortunately, (unless I am mistaken), there is no suitable Michelin variant for the R14 Wagon R rim. Do you believe I have options in Michelin or do I need to look at other brands? If yes, what brands? I would really appreciate your assistance on this. Thanks in advance.
As of my current knowledge there is nothing in the OEM size.

What is the rim width? Based on this we can calculate a proper tyre upgrade if needed.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 17:56   #20
BHPian

Hi nikhil
My cousin has a bought a wagon r lxi cng (stupid maruti guys only sell cng in lxi trim) and I am forcing him for a tyre upgrade

The website claims stock tyre size is 145 80 13 but I have my doubts. Cn anybody confirm is the profile is 80 or 70

Can I upgrade the tyres to size 165 65 13 and do I have any options in xm2?

The car will be solely driven in city and at moderate speeds. So ride comfort is the most important priority

Thanks in advance
Old 11th September 2013, 18:24   #21

Quote:

What is the rim width? Based on this we can calculate a proper tyre upgrade if needed.
The rim is R 14. The new Wagon R Vxi models have a 14 rim compared to the previous models which had a 13 rim.
Old 11th September 2013, 18:31   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
Hi nikhil
My cousin has a bought a wagon r lxi cng (stupid maruti guys only sell cng in lxi trim) and I am forcing him for a tyre upgrade

The website claims stock tyre size is 145 80 13 but I have my doubts. Cn anybody confirm is the profile is 80 or 70

Can I upgrade the tyres to size 165 65 13 and do I have any options in xm2?

The car will be solely driven in city and at moderate speeds. So ride comfort is the most important priority

Thanks in advance
The F10D (pre K-Series) WagonRs came with the following specs for OE tires::
  • 145/70 R13 (Lx, LXi)
  • 155/65 R13 (Vxi)

The K-Series (Blue eyed Boy) come with the following specs for OE tires:
  • 145/80 R13 (Lx, Lxi)
  • 155/65 R14 (Vxi)

Hope this answers your query.

As Nikhil mentions earlier, you will have to carefully chose the right upsize after applying those numbers in a formula so that the upgrade has permissible margin for any speedo error caused due to sidewall height change (and hence the circumference change).

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th September 2013 at 18:42.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 22:40   #23
BHPian

Thank you parag for the stock tire size details

First maruti does not offer vxi variant in cng and now different tyre size for lxi and vxi

Or is it that vxi models have bigger front brake discs?

If it truly is , I will never buy a maruti in my life.

I will wait for nikhils recommendation regarding upsize
Old 12th September 2013, 10:09   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you parag for the stock tire size details

First maruti does not offer vxi variant in cng and now different tyre size for lxi and vxi
That is correct & apart from just the tire, there is a difference even in the Rim specifications too. While the Lx & LXi variants are equipped with 4j the VXi gets a 4.5j.

Quote:
Or is it that vxi models have bigger front brake discs?
No, except for the Rim and Tire size, there is no difference whatsoever in the braking system.

Quote:
I will wait for nikhils recommendation regarding upsize
Apart from the fact that any upsize in tires should be carefully done keeping in mind the circumference difference as a result of sidewall/profile increase or decrease, remember that in a WagonR there is limited space in the wheel well as well as the straight design of the quarter panel that makes it difficult to fit a wider tire (anything more than 165) which will result in scraping of the tires to the wheel arches.

Unlike Swift or a Santro, WagonR is not mod friendly when it comes to tire upsize. Even fitting a 5j alloy will guarantee that the stock tires will hit the wheel arches.

Unfortunately, only AURA manufactured rims suiting the WagonR and these days whatever you get in 13 and 15" are 5j if I recall it right.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 12:34   #25
BHPian

Thanks parag
Will keep in mind the points you have mentioned before taking decision on upgrading tyres
Old 13th September 2013, 21:19   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

14" is fine. But what is the rim width? Is it 5j or 5.5j? Or even 4.5j?
Old 13th September 2013, 23:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
14" is fine. But what is the rim width? Is it 5j or 5.5j? Or even 4.5j?
Hi nikhil
No mention ofitonthe website. Maybe someone who owns it can check and confirm
Old 17th September 2013, 18:14   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi nikhil
No mention ofitonthe website. Maybe someone who owns it can check and confirm
To my knowledge, on Lxi its 4J and on VXi its 4.5J.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 16:44   #29

Quote:

I believe the rim size is 4.5J. Thanks in advance for your help on this. appreciated.
Old 27th September 2013, 22:35   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

On 4.5j rims, 165 section tyres or even 175 section tyres is ok!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks