Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2009, 14:17   #16

Hi friends:
I have a similar problem of excessive tyre nose in my Honda City ZX 2008 model fitted with Goodyear tyres. Even though the car has been serviced at capital Honda regularly (has covered 23K km till date) and tyres rotated periodically, plus balancing/alignment done every 10K km, the road nose was horrible. The other day it became so bad, my co-passengers (also petrolheads) were convinced the wheel bearings had gone. The head service guy at Capital Honda took some interest and told me the problem was not due to any wheel bearing but only due to Goodyear tyres, it apparently was a common problem. We then took a short test drive with a set of Michelins fitted, as a trial, it was just amazing, the road noise stopped and the car handled much better – even on that crowded highway, driving on stop-go traffic. Anyway, after that trial, he put back my old Goodyears, rotating helped reduce tyre noise slightly.

So now I have decided to go for Michelins (rather expensive though), as frequent high speed runs to Trichy & Bangalore, as well as much city driving, form my driving profile. This is just to get rid of that blasted tyre nose, really aggravating even with the a/c on, esp at low speeds.

Can anybody suggest me the best Michelin to for – Honda City 2008 GXi model. I have the standrad wheels, not alloys. What would be the mileage life and what would be the approx price in Chennai (don’t want to be ripped off by my local tyre dealer). Greatly appreciate any inputs on this!! Thanks!!
Old 29th November 2009, 20:28   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Get 185/65 R14 in XM1+. Super ride quality as well.

Price should be around 3800/- per tyre.

The goodyears suck! I wonder you used them for 23k before getting fed up!
Old 29th November 2009, 23:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

sekharr,
I was wondering if noise was your only problem. Also is the noise continuous or does it sound like something is rubbing unevenly? Do you notice any instability or loss of control at high speed?
Old 30th November 2009, 13:29   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Get 185/65 R14 in XM1+. Super ride quality as well.

Price should be around 3800/- per tyre.

The goodyears suck! I wonder you used them for 23k before getting fed up!
Hi! Yes I totally agree that the Goodyears suck! Apparently this a common problem, according to the local Capital Honda service manager - but observed probably by owner-drivers who care, not just by drivers!:
Old 30th November 2009, 13:39   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
sekharr,
I was wondering if noise was your only problem. Also is the noise continuous or does it sound like something is rubbing unevenly? Do you notice any instability or loss of control at high speed?
At speeds below 30 km/h, it sounded like there was a wheel bearing problem (rubbing/grinding type of noise), at higher speeds (above 100 km/h) there was considerable vibration (like unbalanced wheels), but stability was OK; however despite repeated wheel balancing & alignment checks, plus wheel bearing checks (bearings were all OK), these noises continued. Rotating tyres partially cured the problem; however there is not much wear and all tyres have worn evenly. I never believed the Capital Honda guys when they told me the tyres were at fault, it was not until I took a test ride with Michelins fitted, that I found a difference - no noise and better handling. Basically the tyres are OK but the noise is driving me crazy!
Old 1st December 2009, 00:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the info. This is exactly my same problem. Also at 140+ Kph, a sort of disconnected feel from the road is also something I've noticed. Now after running another 7K the symptoms have improved. But I'll still be changing to Michelin XM1+ 185/ 65 R14 as soon as possible. What's your friend's (at Capital Honda) opinion about the upsize I've mentioned?
Old 1st December 2009, 22:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Thanks a lot for the info. This is exactly my same problem. Also at 140+ Kph, a sort of disconnected feel from the road is also something I've noticed. Now after running another 7K the symptoms have improved. But I'll still be changing to Michelin XM1+ 185/ 65 R14 as soon as possible. What's your friend's (at Capital Honda) opinion about the upsize I've mentioned?
In fact I also found at 140+ kph, there was severe lack of control (scary!) and lot of wander - I could never drive with confidence. I will let you know the feedback once I change over to Michelins, maybe later this week. The Cap Honda guy has put me on to the Michelin company engineer at Chennai, I will also speak & get some more dope on this.
Old 2nd December 2009, 00:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Ok. and what size michelins are you planning to shod?
Old 4th December 2009, 09:38   #24

Would suggest you only the 175 65 R 14 stock tyres, can choose between the michelins or contis
Old 5th December 2009, 01:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

How about 185/ 65 R14 as suggested by Nikhil? Or even 195/60 R14?
Old 5th December 2009, 09:20   #26
BHPian

HI,

Ive experienced the same problem in my previous OHC, the Good year's are incapable of handling rough roads in India and hence the belts inside them deform and thats one of the reason why youre getting terrible road noise.
If you notice the sidewall, you will see minute bulges like pimples which indicate sidewall damage .

My set lasted around 40 K and when i went for an upsize to the Bridgestone dealer (Ive been using BS only on all my cars) he informed me that the upsizing he has done for many cars resulted in the tyres scraping against the wheel well, as the HOnda city doesnt have enough space to permit a wider footprint.

I landed up going with the stock tyre replacement of the Turanza series, (175 /65 R14) which resulted in road noise and high speed grip improving by miles Happy to note, they peformed well for around 20 K before i sold the car !

I personally prefer Bridgestone from my experience , you can go for either the MC's or the BS (hear both of them are the best)

Cheers !!
Old 5th December 2009, 23:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

We're talking about NHC. I've not heard of upsizing causing any sidewall scrapping in the NHC.
Old 21st December 2009, 19:15   #28

Got my Michelins today. 175 65 R 14 stock tyres. Absolute comfort, and, no road noise. Even my wife, who is normally oblivious of such niceties, noticed that the car was so much smoother and softer ride. I think that's the ultimate compliment (to the tyres)!
Have driven only about 50-60 km today, all slow speed city driving, but even then I could see the difference. This weekend I am off to Bangalore, lets see how it goes on a high speed run!!
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekharr View Post
all slow speed city driving, but even then I could see the difference.
It is the slow speed city runs which is bad in the NHC.

Waiting for your report of the highway runs.
Old 23rd December 2009, 00:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Actually beg to differ, but the NHC is for slow speed runs. Within the city. On the highway, mileage drops, and the handling isn't too great.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks