Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 02:45   #1
BHPian

Durun A2000 on my Wagon R

After alot of convincing and explainations to my parents, we decided to get new Tubeless tyres (while they wanted simple tubed ones). I really wanted xm1s but 2.6k per tyre was quite out of budget.
The budget was of max 2k and in that no good tubless tyres were to be found, i tried but to no avail.
The car had run 42k kms on the stock bridgestone and if we were to reach even 70 kmph, the car would start wobbling and 90 kmph felt like 180(allignment), the car use to do wheel spins each and everytime i let go the clutch suddenly(even by mistake) and even when i shifted from 1st to 2nd at 5k or more rpm.
Then i had a r**e with a friend in his ANHC, and i then came to know how bad the tyres were, i almost collided into a truck and due to hard breaking the car was completely out of control and would have toppled over if it wasnt for a small hit on the divider(i won none-the-less).
That was it, even if new tubed ones had to come in the car, let them, the car was too unsafe to be driven.
Then on oct 3rd, me and my girlfriend reached the tyre guy, just opposite to Zaf gym in 4 bungalows. Our garage guy was friends with this guy and new JKtyres were arranged with discount(introductory discounts) and the cost was around 1.9k per tyre.
I just asked if there were any GOOD tubeless tyres around 2k and he showed me Durun A2000, they looked nice and sturdy, but they were causing a deja vu, like i have seen them before or i dont know, still dont remember what, but thats not the point. They costed 2.2k so it was like just 300 rs per tyre and 1.2k for all 4.
Looking sturdy and heard some good praise of Durun decided to get them.
Mom arrived and i told the guy to get on with it.
In a matter of around 1 hour the work was done.
Replacing the 4 tyres, wheel balancing and alignment also done.
The bill was made as per 2.4k per tyre (2.2k for tyre and .2k for new valve) + some 1k-2k for balancing and allignment.
Have driven the car with these tyres for around 5k kms and i am still testing them , they grip the car really well, i opted for 165/70/R13(155/65/R13 stock). Wanted wider as there is nearly 60 kms of highway driving every alternate day and also wanted more comfort.
The steering is slightly heavy now, but the grip levels are amazing, you can actually compare to xm1s, atleast the grip levels, have driven them hard only on 1 occasion, just a few days ago, and they provided amazing grip, i am now starting to repeat myself, but THE GRIP LEVELS ARE TRULY AMAZING, and i can not say more, comfort has also increased, but that is for mom and not for me.
Here are a few pics of the process, and later of the old tyre vs the new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Durun A2000 on my Wagon R-photo0074.jpg  

Durun A2000 on my Wagon R-photo0075.jpg  

Durun A2000 on my Wagon R-photo0076.jpg  

Durun A2000 on my Wagon R-photo0077.jpg  

Durun A2000 on my Wagon R-photo0078.jpg  

Durun A2000 on my Wagon R-photo0079.jpg  

Durun A2000 on my Wagon R-photo0080.jpg  

Old 24th November 2009, 09:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Abhay, Glad to know that you are happy with new tyres.

but, have few doubts.

Tyre size: Is 165/70R13 correct upsize for WagonR? Compared to stock size of WagonR Vxi, this translates to difference of 29.5 mm (5.5%) for Overall Diameter (OD). This would definitely would lead to incorrect odometer & speedometer readings.

Tyre Brand: Looks like a tyre brand from UK, haven't seen this brand earlier.

Pricing: Rs. 200 for tyre valves, it's too much. Generally, these should not be charged extra unless buying something exotic. Wheel balancing should not cost more than Rs. 250-300 even with weights and wheel alignment another Rs. 200-250.
Old 24th November 2009, 15:59   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Abhay, no offense, but I think you've made the wrong decision.

1. Your upsize is incorrect. You've basically gone from an OEM sidewall height of 100.75 to 115.5!! That's like a 15% increase.

2. I don't agree with your choice of brand. Durun is an unheard of chinese brand (Related linky).

Personally, I'd have chosen the JK tyres in the right size. Atleast, I'm getting a brand name that I can trust and know that a certain amount of R&D has gone into the tyres.
Old 24th November 2009, 20:33   #4
BHPian

None offence taken.
Our car being fitted with a CNG tank has really reduced the ride quality quite alot.
Also my cousin brother had got Duruns fitted in his santro a year earlier and they worked fine for around 25k. This was enough for me, as the car will be sold off soon (3 years done).
As my mom wanted more comfort, i did not mind a bigger side wall, even now, after hearing that it is a wrong decision, i will still say, the car is mostly driven by my mom, and she rarely goes above 80, but really wanted a more softer ride, which she is getting.
I do know that these are not a good brand as compared to JK, michelin, yoko, etc and that is the reason for me making a thread, that even though i have got not a very known brand, they are working fine.
Also personally, for a car i would drive, i would not take a side wall bigger dan 50% because i want more of handling than comfort.
Old 24th November 2009, 23:11   #5
BHPian

Hi,

I also drive a Wagon R and did the same upgrade as you but with Michelin tyres. Found with two (healthy) adults in back and two in front the tyres were scraping the sides of the body (mudguargds). Tried tapping in the sharp edge of the mudguard and though slight improvement were still scraping and damaging the tyres. Finally changed back to original Vxi size and apart from having lost a couple of thousand bucks now all OK.

Hope you don't have the same problem.

Best Regards,

SS
Old 24th November 2009, 23:16   #6
BHPian

I wont, as i havnt opted for mud gaurds, I Love My Babes Dirty
On another note, the increase in width has only improved road handling and nothing else, i have seated 6 adults recently and driven around 20 kms in heavy traffic with our regular pot holes and the only problem i faced was the now tighter steering wheel and nothing else.
Old 25th November 2009, 14:31   #7
BHPian

Hi GTO, Is the ideal upsize for Wagon-R is 155/65XR13 or 155/70XR13 ? I've updated my Wagon-R with 155/70 profile from CONTINENTAL tyres.Looking for your valuable comments?
Old 25th November 2009, 19:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Abhay, no offense, but I think you've made the wrong decision.

1. Your upsize is incorrect. You've basically gone from an OEM sidewall height of 100.75 to 115.5!! That's like a 15% increase.
Slight correction here GTO. You missed the rim diameter when considering the increase in sidewall height.

The Rolling Radius increases from 265.85 (stock) to 280.6 (stock). That is a 5.55% increase.

While not exactly 15%, it is still above the normal 2-3% allowance limits!
Old 26th November 2009, 09:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi GTO, Is the ideal upsize for Wagon-R is 155/65XR13 or 155/70XR13 ? I've updated my Wagon-R with 155/70 profile from CONTINENTAL tyres.Looking for your valuable comments?
Ideal upsize for WagonR Lxi would be 155/65R13. 155/65R13 also happens to be stock size for WagonR Vxi. Using 155/70R13 would mean increase in overall diameter of tyre by 2.9%. Search other WagonR related threads in this section to know more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Slight correction here GTO. You missed the rim diameter when considering the increase in sidewall height.

The Rolling Radius increases from 265.85 (stock) to 280.6 (stock). That is a 5.55% increase.

While not exactly 15%, it is still above the normal 2-3% allowance limits!
GTO was mentioning only about sidewall height & those calculations account only for sidewall height.
Your calculations are absolutely correct about rolling radius.
Old 27th November 2009, 01:23   #10
BHPian

Big correction, the size of the tyres are 165/65/R13, was checking if i had low air pressure and saw that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks