Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 23:00   #16
BHPian

While one does understand the premium Michelin commands in our market, there are other brands too which are coming with equally good products.

Recently,I went to replace tyres for my Innova and was keen on XM1+. But on being introduced to GoodYear ASSURANCE having same specifications as XM1+, costing Rs.600/tyre less, bundled with unconditional 3year warranty,(Including cuts) ended up buying the same.

The difference is too apparant to be true. The ride is lot more assured, grounded, with an added ability to take potholes with great poise, thus giving a whole new dimension to the earlier ride of Goodyear GT3.

Now, on top of all this, if Michelin is still increasing the prices again, it's surely going to affect their market share which is otherwise not very commanding.
Old 27th November 2009, 13:26   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I like my tyres rough and tough! ( and grippy along with that)
You must be a fan of Apollo, JK and MRF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Bridgestone, if you're listening, Increase the price of the GIII's above michelin levels. Its not like they're gonna sell anyway, and those goddamn frenchmen will price themselves out of the market, and then you can sell all the S322's you want - for XM1+ prices! *diabolical laugh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Thatz a marginal increase, I don't mind paying extra 100 bucks for the comfort & grip of Michelin tyres!
Well, to us enthusiasts, it wont make a difference. But the mass market, oh boy, a total of 500 - 1000 bucks difference in billing can break a deal. The Indian market is incredibly price sensitive.
Old 27th November 2009, 14:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Prices increased, huh? Well then, when my current set of MRF ZVTS eventually wear out, I will "upgrade" to MRF Tubeless! I find them quite adequate for my driving.

Last edited by Gansan : 27th November 2009 at 14:09.
Old 27th November 2009, 14:13   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Why should anything that is reasonably of good quality (Add design, durability etc) has to be priced abnormally high to gain a premium positioning and then be unaffordable for the common man?

This is a very bad trend in India across industries.

And even some of the public needs to be blamed. 3 brands are there, which one to choose? Choose the most expensive one, should definetly be the best
Old 27th November 2009, 14:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Why should anything that is reasonably of good quality (Add design, durability etc) has to be priced abnormally high to gain a premium positioning and then be unaffordable for the common man?

This is a very bad trend in India across industries.

And even some of the public needs to be blamed. 3 brands are there, which one to choose? Choose the most expensive one, should definetly be the best
Design OK, but durability? Are Michelins equal to MRF etc. when it comes to durability? I doubt it.

I think even the performance/grip part is over played a bit. For most conditions of normal city/highway driving, I feel any reasonably good tyre will be good enough, especially for most cars that fall in the "Hero Honda on four wheels" category. The tyre pressure can be increased/decreased slightly to take care of most situations, depending upon the conditions.

The tyres will make a huge difference only to more powerful cars, especially if driven enthusiastically.
Old 27th November 2009, 15:21   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Viddy, I honestly dont buy that argument.

See, it's a matter of how you treat the tyres. If you drive carefully and take care on broken and bad roads, it's ok.
Nikhil, in that case I have to drive my GV like a delicate sedan all the time, I only have bad roads. I just wore out the OE tyres in just 17.5K, all tyres have just 2mm tread left.

I was thinking about Michelin LTX AT2 as a potential candidate. But this price hike is making me stop thinking, does it apply to AT tyres too?
Old 27th November 2009, 15:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I was thinking about Michelin LTX AT2 as a potential candidate. But this price hike is making me stop thinking, does it apply to AT tyres too?
The price hike is only after Dec 1st. If you have already made up your mind on the Michelins, you can beat the hike.
Old 27th November 2009, 15:49   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Design OK, but durability? Are Michelins equal to MRF etc. when it comes to durability? I doubt it.
My reference was to all products, not just tyres Wonder why we have to pay more than 2K for a set Louis Phillipe Shirt and Trouser?

Quote:
The tyres will make a huge difference only to more powerful cars, especially if driven enthusiastically.
Am no expert, but having driven a Fiesta with OEM MRF and Ikon with Michellin in both the City and in highways, I feel that the Michellins are better in ride comfort and grip. I won't be able to justify the same quantitatively but that's what I feel. No issues wrt durability as well.
Old 27th November 2009, 18:01   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai, the LTX price will also go up. By about 175/-
Old 27th November 2009, 18:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
The price hike is only after Dec 1st. If you have already made up your mind on the Michelins, you can beat the hike.
Michellin Tyres were not available anywhere in Chennai or atleast the sizes I was looking. Price Hike was possibly the reason for the non-availablity. Just bolted A Drives onto my Wagon R.

Quote:
Prices increased, huh? Well then, when my current set of MRF ZVTS eventually wear out, I will "upgrade" to MRF Tubeless! I find them quite adequate for my driving.
The price quoted for ZVTS 155/70/13 was Rs.2350/-. I got a quote of Rs.2450/- for A Drives 155/65/13 hardly any difference but I feel worth the difference now that I have bolted the A Drives in my Wagon R especially considering I paid Rs.2320/- for the A Drives which included Wheel Balancing and Wheel Alignment. May be one of these days we can catch up for you to experience the tyres in a small car.

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 27th November 2009 at 18:10.
Old 27th November 2009, 23:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

OT: Hey Nikhil, can you ask your friends at Michelin when they are officially going to make 195/55/R15 available?
Old 28th November 2009, 21:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The price quoted for ZVTS 155/70/13 was Rs.2350/-. I got a quote of Rs.2450/- for A Drives 155/65/13 hardly any difference but I feel worth the difference now that I have bolted the A Drives in my Wagon R especially considering I paid Rs.2320/- for the A Drives which included Wheel Balancing and Wheel Alignment. May be one of these days we can catch up for you to experience the tyres in a small car.
I would love that. BTW what brand are these A Drives?
Old 28th November 2009, 22:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

I dont understand why some of the guys are cribbing about . 100 -200 Rs per tyre increase is like one pack of imported smokes /a non veg lunch.
Is it so hard to pay little bit more ? its not that you pay for it every month ,most the tires will last at least 2 years + .Yeah but a hike is hike , but if you like the tyre and performance its peanuts or priceless .

Last edited by GTO : 30th November 2009 at 10:38. Reason: Strictly no mention of alcohol on this forum please
Old 28th November 2009, 22:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would love that. BTW what brand are these A Drives?
It's Yokohama..............
Old 29th November 2009, 02:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Actually it's not that the cost hike is going to make the tire unaffordable. It's just that buying tires is like buying RAM. Or gold. Too many minute differences in cost and features. I'm sure a lot of people here would have visited 2-3 shops before buying a tire at the lowest priced shop thus saving perhaps Rs.100. But would have spent 3L of fuel for the market survey.
We Indians just love a good bargain and the idea of a price hike for an unimproved product is not acceptable.
I would still buy the Michelins. Maybe GY Assurance. or even ZV2K. (Sorry, typical mentality).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks