Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2005, 13:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Guys

Picking up my new Safari Dicor 4X4 tomorrow, which comes with 16" Alloys and Bridgestone Duellers (235/60).

Wondering if I need to upgrade, and if yes to what? I'd like to think in terms of 17" alloys and lower profile tyres (keeping the overall diameter intact). Suggestions as to what brand of tyre (Yokohama is what my dealer is suggesting), wheelsize, etc are welcome. I need to decide TODAY.
Old 18th August 2005, 13:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

hey dude!

congrats on being the first person on getting a new dicor on this site.

would suggest that you use the same dia alloys and get a set of pirelli scorpions or michellin nxt's say 255 size.

thats what i am using currently on my safari.

take care

aadix
Old 18th August 2005, 13:23   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Picking up my new Safari Dicor 4X4 tomorrow, which comes with 16" Alloys and Bridgestone Duellers (235/60).
Steeroid, Congrats on the upcoming delivery. If you ask me, a 235 stock tyre on the Safari will more than suffice for the function part unlike some other Indian cars where stock tyres are outright dangerous (Esteem, Baleno, OHC etc).

Buttttttttttttttttt do ascertain that they are of the tubeless type. If you want my recommendation of a brand and are absolutely keen on an upgrade, pick up Michelin All Terrains. Their performance is fabulous on my Jeep - both on the road and off it.

GTO
Old 27th October 2006, 14:53   #4
BHPian

Some more queries on the Safari Wheels

Hi Everyone,

I thought I could continue the same thread that Steeriod started rather than starting a new one since my queries are related. I have ordered a Black Safari DICOR LX 4x2 and should get delivery in some 2 weeks. I have this time to decide on the following.

I have the following problem: I don't like the way the tyres in the DICOR currently look and think they are too inside when the Safari is viewed from the backend. I would like the stance of the Safari to improve by having slightly wider tyres. I like the design of the existing steel rims provided in the DICOR. On following up with Steeriod, I understand that I should probably upgrade to 255/65/R16 tyre size. I would like the group's input on the following:

a) Would it be possible to replace the existing tyres with the 255/65/R16 tyres without replacing the original Steel rims.

b) What tyre brand should I go for if I don't want to compromise on the ride quality while increasing the handling

c) Approximate costs for upgrading these

d) How much would the existing tyres trade in for?

The Second option I am thinking ( Not sure if this is even an option). Could horizontal spacers be put in so as to not change anything and achieve the above result. What impact if any would there by of such a move.

Thanks a ton for your inputs and looking forward to getting my Safari soon.

Thanks,
Sumit
Old 27th October 2006, 15:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sumit, Congrats on your decision to buy the Dicor.

Although I haven't upgraded my tyres, I had enquired and got an offer for upgrade to Kumho or Hankook 255X65s at 7.5k for a set of 5. This was subject to the exchange being made with less than 100-150kms on the odo (I think with negotiation the price would have gone down further).

I think you can safely go for these, I'm not sure if you'd achieve anything by the spacer option.

Last edited by suman : 27th October 2006 at 15:13.
Old 27th October 2006, 16:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitsingh
Hi Everyone,

I understand that I should probably upgrade to 255/65/R16 tyre size. I would like the group's input on the following:

a) Would it be possible to replace the existing tyres with the 255/65/R16 tyres without replacing the original Steel rims.

b) What tyre brand should I go for if I don't want to compromise on the ride quality while increasing the handling

c) Approximate costs for upgrading these

d) How much would the existing tyres trade in for?

The Second option I am thinking ( Not sure if this is even an option). Could horizontal spacers be put in so as to not change anything and achieve the above result. What impact if any would there by of such a move.

Thanks a ton for your inputs and looking forward to getting my Safari soon.

Thanks,
Sumit
Sumit here are my replies:

a) What is size of the wheel? It all depends on how wide your wheel is & whether it can accomodate the tyres properly.

b) Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli, Yokohama etc. lots of options are available

c) Depends on how much your original tyres have run. If it's a new car & you do it immediately then I think the figure that Suman has posted is pretty good.

d) Again same as c.

e) I don't think spacers are such a good idea Sumit. They might just upset your suspension geometry leading to all kinds of problems. There might be somebody who's tried spacers on their Safari but I think it's a long shot.
Old 28th October 2006, 10:49   #7
BHPian

Hey Everyone,

Thank you for your inputs. This is certainly very helpful. With Regards to the condition of the wheels, these are new since I will get the delivery in 7-10 days.

I am not sure what is the wheel size since the website does not provide this information. Any current Safari owners to share this??

I will be in the market today to check out the different brands mentioned. Lets see how far I get.

Thanks a bunch.
-Sumit
Old 28th October 2006, 12:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Steer/Suman - Could you please check the user's manual and tell us what the wheel size for the Dicor is?
Old 28th October 2006, 13:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Going by the official safari website it says

235/70 R 16, 105 S
Old 28th October 2006, 13:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
Going by the official safari website it says

235/70 R 16, 105 S
Rahul - I wanted the wheel size as in 6.5J or 7J etc. not the tyre size as I already knew that!
Old 28th October 2006, 14:14   #11
BHPian

yes thats the stock size you are right,

the upsize suggested(255/65 r15) is the tyre the safari responds well to,

but fitting it on pressed wheels is a strict no-no and is a risky task,
on alloys you can mount it on 6(max 7)j wheels,
any thing above you will have to modify slightly on parts like bumper and mudflaps and push the lining a bit,

but take care anything above the suggested up size will require tinkering with the box section(which i do not recommend),

and 7,500 is too expensive i will give a prevailing price in bangalore which should help in negotiation,
yokohama geolanders(ht/s and ats)6000,and hankooks are about 200-300 less,
the premium option is michellin synchrone 4*4 at 9000.
Old 28th October 2006, 15:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for being foolish.

The Brochure says

Tyres: 6.0j X 16

Ps: Brochure available online on the safari website

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 28th October 2006 at 15:18.
Old 28th October 2006, 19:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
Sorry for being foolish.

The Brochure says

Tyres: 6.0j X 16

Ps: Brochure available online on the safari website
exactly why iam saying that if you dont want to tinker around better to fit 6j alloys(MAX 7)other wise the vehicle will scrape when wheels are on full lock,
or negotiating a rocky region,
Old 30th October 2006, 00:39   #14
BHPian

sorry rahul i thought you were replying to my post ignore my last post.
Old 5th November 2006, 23:04   #15
BHPian

Thank you everyone for responding.

Drfate, would fitting a 255/65/R16 tyres on a 7.0 J x16 wheels make the tyres stick out too much from the vehicle? Though, I want to broaden the stance of the vehicle, I dont want the wheels to be extending out too much out of the vehicle.

Also, on inquiry with the dealer, I found out that the 6.0 J wheels that the Safari comes with will not support any broader tyres. On browsing couple of websites, this seems to be true. Hence, moving to alloys with a wider foot print.

Any thoughts, the dealer has also recommened Hankook tyres of the above mentioned profile.

Any thoughts and inputs would be really valuable. Thank you all... expect to get my ride this week.

Thanks
-Sumit

Most Viewed