Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2010, 21:39   #1
BHPian

Tyre Rotation | Is it like that for GM?

Hi everyone,

I went for the 3rd free 10000Km service of my car (Chevy UVA). A tyre rotation was due this time. I was surprised to learn that only four existing tyres were swapped (front to back across) in the name of rotation. I asked why was the spare 5th tyre not used, to which they replied that GM says it like that.

My M800 was cycled on all 5 tyres when rotation was done. Is the 5th tyre not to be used in rotation in GM cars?
Old 2nd January 2010, 21:49   #2
BHPian

Five tyres rotation is better for best utilization of all five tyres..
Old 3rd January 2010, 00:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

And i thought that spare tyre was only used during emergencies. Maybe i have been doing it all wrong for past 10 years!

BTW what about those guys who upsize their tyres and the spare tyre is of stock size ?

IMHO 5th (spare) tyre rotation is wrong as spare tyre is for emergencies only. I have never driven more than 100km on spare tyre.
Old 3rd January 2010, 01:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidsnail View Post
Hi everyone,

My M800 was cycled on all 5 tyres when rotation was done. Is the 5th tyre not to be used in rotation in GM cars?
Check your car's user manual whether it specifies 4 tyre rotation or 5 tyre rotation. Hyundai user manual for santro specifies both & leaves choice to the user. For my first set of tyres (Goodyear) it was 4 tyre rotation, but current set of tyres (Yokohama) undergo 5 tyre rotation.

Personally prefer 5 tyre rotation as it maximises value invested in all 5 tyres. Spare tyre, if not used/rotated, doesn't get more buyback value when one has to replace tyres after 4/5 years or 40-45k Kms.
Old 3rd January 2010, 01:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
IMHO 5th (spare) tyre rotation is wrong as spare tyre is for emergencies only. I have never driven more than 100km on spare tyre.
+1.Its only a spare tire to be used in case of an emergency only!
Old 3rd January 2010, 07:26   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

It can be used either way.

It really doesnt matter. Some people who stick to stock sizes prefer to rotate all 5 tyres because they can get more life out of them. Also, they can change all 5 tyres at one go.

Rotating only 4 tyres is also correct. You can reserve the spare tyre ONLY for emergencies.
Old 3rd January 2010, 07:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
And i thought that spare tyre was only used during emergencies. Maybe i have been doing it all wrong for past 10 years!

BTW what about those guys who upsize their tyres and the spare tyre is of stock size ?

In USa I have seen that the spare tires are of different size and should be used in emergency only. But in India, for most of the cars we have 5 tires of the same size, so rotation of all the 5 tires is better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks